Bosch battery help needed please!

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england

This is a vid I made for a mate at work just to give an idea, but basically my bike is 1.2 years old bought new from a e bike shop in Bristol and now the battery won't charge and I'm getting 2 blinking lights ( 2nd and 4th). Bikes been kept in good nik, indoors at home and outdoors in a covered car park at work for the last 2 months 30 hours a week in the day.

Info on bike and batt model in in YouTube description.

Has anyone any advice please?

I've messaged the shop they are closed until Tuesday.

I'm NHS worker and have to be a bus **** now until this is fixed and I cannot afford 600 quid for a new battery currently unless I can do it on finance. I'm finding it hard to find much info online about this from Haibike but I will research deeper of course.

Any suggestions would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
May not be of much use but I have a lithium drill battery that does something similar refusing to charge, but only in winter. If I put the battery on top of the radiator for half an hour it will then charge and work fine.
Hope this helps..

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
May not be of much use but I have a lithium drill battery that does something similar refusing to charge, but only in winter. If I put the battery on top of the radiator for half an hour it will then charge and work fine.
Hope this helps..
Bosch batteries have warranty for two years. The shop will fix it or give you a new one.

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
Its a lot of help thank you. I kept it near a radiator and this morning same thing. Oh great yeah I had it 1 year and 2 months and I've emailed haibike, bosch and the shop I bought it off who open Tuesday but mostly work on a "pay 50 for a diagnostic" at best basis, so we will see what they say first

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You are clearly within the 2 year warranty period. I hope they just fix it at once. I understand with motors, the dealers have to send it back to Germany whence Bosch will (eventually) send a replacement, leaving the customer without a bike for some considerable time (and that was before the Brexit shambles).

Reactions: smithwoodward

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Its a lot of help thank you. I kept it near a radiator and this morning same thing. Oh great yeah I had it 1 year and 2 months and I've emailed haibike, bosch and the shop I bought it off who open Tuesday but mostly work on a "pay 50 for a diagnostic" at best basis, so we will see what they say first
Don't ask for a diagnostic. Just tell them the battery doesn't work so they need to sort it out under warranty. there should be absolutely no cost. You paid for that when you paid for the bike. You paid for the bike plus, its warranty and the warranty on the battery. That was the contract you made with the shop. They now have to meet their obligations.

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping the shop will be cool, bought last 2 bikes from them! It states on the website if you pay 50 you get seen as priority, I could be waiting over a month for them just to look at it if I don't but here's hoping they will be able to get me in sooner! And yes great to know its under warranty. Any opinions . Thanks

Last edited:

smithwoodward

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2017
england
Had an interesting reply from tech help regarding the re celling someone reccomended here also:

Hi William,

Thank you for your email. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with the battery.

The problem with Bosch batteries is the proprietary BMS (Battery Management System). If that has developed a fault then you essentially have a posh looking brick as Bosch will not make spares available, citing 'health & safety' reasons. The BMS in your battery is booby-trapped to render itself permanently unusable under a set of pre-programmed conditions ie. Leaving the battery uncharged for x amount of time.

Bosch simply wants you to spend an exorbitant amount of money on a brand new battery. If the battery is within the warranty period however you should be given a new one.

I'm afraid due to the above we do not work with Bosch batteries, sorry.

Kind regards

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Any Bosch battery not more then two years old and the dealer has to offer a replacement FOC, after contacting Bosch and activating the warranty process with them.

Any dongle remove all evidence and keep your trap shut, they are not detectable as far as it is known.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Just to confirm for future also please, how do I maintenance these parts I read somewhere to use a small amount of vasaline? (Seemed a bit weird!) ? Many thanks

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
only option is to get a new batt under warranty sounds like the bms has a fault and they can not be bought or repaired.

the batts can be recelled but the bms must be working and charging but it is over £300 to do this so warranty is the best option.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If it is a decent bike shop it should be a few days at most to get a bike still under warranty and that isn't working back on the road. Sadly many LBS's don't seem to take their responsibilities seriously these days (other than the 'responsibility' of pushing sales and profiteering on service and repairs); it's an odd world where mail order service is often better than local service. With luck your LBS will turn out to be one of the good ones; good luck.

Advertisers