Bosch battery

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi.....How does a Bosch power pack 400 or 500 compare to an Impulse 15 or 17ah battery ?

Thanks.....Mike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The Bosch 400 is 11ah, and the 500 is just over 13ah.

Kalkhoff/Impulse is about the only quality crank drive system that comes with a big capacity battery.

Problem, as you probably know, is the Impulse system is fine when it works, but too many seem to still suffer from reliability problems, despite lots of efforts by Kalkhoff and the importer to sort it.

If you need large battery capacity, the best approach at present is a Bosch/Yamaha bike and two batteries.

Bosch's twin battery system is neat, both batteries are mounted on the bike, and the system uses them as one, drawing a bit from each alternately until both are exhausted.

• Agree
Reactions: nemesis

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Rob...I rarely do much more than 20 miles these days.
Being nearly 80 and a lot less agile I need to buy a stepthrough, I've seen a cube I like online but trying to find more info is proving difficult.
It's classed as a ladies, but what makes it a ladies, I can't figure.
....cheers....Mike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Being nearly 80 and a lot less agile I need to buy a stepthrough, It's classed as a ladies, but what makes it a ladies, I can't figure.
....cheers....Mike
Ladies bike a generic term for a step thru.
It was deemed un-lady like for a women to straddle a top bar esp if wearing a drees/skirt.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Being nearly 80 and a lot less agile I need to buy a stepthrough, I've seen a cube I like online but trying to find more info is proving difficult.
It's classed as a ladies, but what makes it a ladies, I can't figure.
....cheers....Mike
Some bikes for ladies have slightly different geometry, usually a shorter top tube.

There's not much in it, and some men might find the ladies' version more comfortable if they tried it.

From what I can gather, the notion a step through bike is for ladies is an almost uniquely British one.

On the continent, such bikes are often described as 'unisex'.

Cube is a good make, so no reason not to have it if everything else suits.

Can you get across to York?

Cycle Heaven stock a good range of Dutch Gazelle ebikes, most of which have the same Bosch motor.

They are excellent quality, and the Dutch know how to make a comfy, east-to-ride step through.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/type/electric-bikes/

Last edited:

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I've often mused that it's the wrong way round and that step through's are better for blokes. Usually on the thankfully rare occasion I've nobbled my wedding tackle on the cross bar :rolleyes:
When I was at School a mate had a prosthetic testicle fitted after riding into the back of a parked lorry and causing irreparable damage which might not have happened on a step through.

Gaz

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Some bikes for ladies have slightly different geometry, usually a shorter top tube.

There's not much in it, and some men might find the ladies' version more comfortable if they tried it.

From what I can gather, the notion a step through bike is for ladies is an almost uniquely British one.

On the continent, such bikes are often described as 'unisex'.

Cube is a good make, so no reason not to have it if everything else suits.

Can you get across to York?

Cycle Heaven stock a good range of Dutch Gazelle ebikes, most of which have the same Bosch motor.

They are excellent quality, and the Dutch know how to make a comfy, east-to-ride step through.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/type/electric-bikes/
Is it not also the case that many ladies have a different geometry?
Any way I have opted for the step through frame in preference to the crossbar for a number of reasons.
1. Less possibility of damaging items I hold in high esteem. Gears slipping or chains snapping when out of the saddle climbing can have unpleasant consequences on a crossbar bike...
2. Safer in traffic.. it's much easier to drop a leg onto the road than slide it over the saddle, easier to get moving again. Getting ones leg over can have more pleasant meanings.

There are supposed to be differences in the saddles for both men and ladies bikes, so if buying a unisex type, it is something to discuss with the dealer.

The only advantage of the crossbar is that it can make a bike stronger more rigid with less weight. This would have been a distinct advantage in earlier times when quite portly gentlemen were riding bikes, and the steel was not as strong as now.

Look to the Raleigh Motus and Captus ranges as potential competitiors to the Cube...

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Ladies bike a generic term for a step thru.
It was deemed un-lady like for a women to straddle a top bar esp if wearing a drees/skirt.
There is an interesting video for female cyclists in skirts using a coin and an elastic band... Modesty personified.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi all...thanks for your input...the reason for my post was that I was interested in buying a Cube cross pro 400 which is classed as a womens bike.
This in itself does not bother me but I've since come to think that even though I'm only 5'6" this bike would be too small for me.
I'm also thinking that I should stick with my current dealer even though he's 25 miles from me as opposed to the Cube dealer some 8 miles.
Before I can buy anything else I need to sell my Kalkhoff Tazman which is proving impossible, I'm currently riding an Oxygen S-Cross ST which I prefer to the Kalkhoff....big mistake buying 90 miles from home.
...the search goes on :)....cheers...Mike

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Maybe putting the Tazman on https://www.gumtree.com would help. People use it to find local stuff. Just make sure you hold onto a prospective buyer's car keys while they test ride your bike.
Thats assuming they haven't nicked the car to come and see the bike!!.
Best bet is to tell them to bring some photo ID if they want a test ride.
That or the full asking price in cash.

Related Articles

Advertisers