Bosch CX "Anti Chain Suck" device?

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Stumbled across this on Ebay (made by Lapierre)- I've only ever had chain suck happen once on a fairly benign uphill overgrown narrow track (heather) and it wasn't muddy-maybe the heather helped push the chain up who knows but I stopped immediately and could see how much it stretched the whole rear mech etc and had that been at speed I can imagine it could wreck a lot of bits!
But £90? Looks like the holes where it should attach would need tapped too to accept the bolts...

Has anyone got one? Is chain suck a particular issue with the size of cog and/or whether it's a standard width or narrow/wide(maybe too much grip not disengaging quick enough?)? I have the X-sync Sram Narrow/Wide on my KTM.

Could be a "Heath Robinson/Ghetto Tech" project for the winter...
Lapierre-Emtb-Mtbcult-31.jpg

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
never had it once with 16t to 25t sprocket sizes but that sprocket in the pic is tiny like 13t so it might help going that small but sod 100 quid for it and it is not even black o_O

encase you missed it ;)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I did indeed miss it.... considering I'd mentioned it in previous threads that someone should do one I'm surprised Pete Collard never bloody emailed me considering I've bought 3 Mudstops! (2 for the KTM's and one for the new Cube which hasn't yet arrived!)
Or has this just come out recently??!
Oh well...in for a penny etc!!

Cheers SW- much appreciated heads up!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you pm him on here it is now linked to his email tho prob faster if you email him direct so he knows what you have ordered ect ;)

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Just wondering how you could ever get it out without destroying it should you want to inspect behind it to see how things are or clean it?
On a motorbike the presence of an oil leak usually means it's worn out but there's nothing to leak out of a Bosch lol...
Could always fit this and then fill the remaining void with grease....!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i was wondering that to but when you remove the circlip from the right drive shaft when you undo the motor casing hex bolts it will pull of with it of the drive shaft so you can then pull it out as it sits under the cerclip.

Attachments

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Wonder if you could stick a needle through it from the back if it's possible on two opposing sides- with fishing gut and a knot in one end then cut off the excess leaving 2 small tails you could grab with long nose pliers?! As long as it didn't compromise the seal in the process? I'm assuming the seal doesn't move within the housing and it's the crankshaft that will rotate against the seal (wonder what the power loss at the output and from the battery will be lol....)
Just ordered them so when the Cube arrives I can sort it out before it sees the outside world!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Two easy ways to resolve chain suck.

The first is to make sure that the clutch on the rear mech is working correctly and engaged.

The second is to remove the sprocket guard that you still have fitted. The day that I removed that, was also the day that chain suck stopped. :)

As you can see, the guard does not allow for mud and any other debris to escape.

DSCF1517.JPG

• Useful
Reactions: Barrio Barranco

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Thanks for that Eddie- the sprocket guard is a "Miranda" one that came with the bike- what is used instead just a lockring? Where from?
My only concern in doing that is a loose lace or bit of clothing getting snagged up in the chain/sprocket? But after each trip I always have to remove crap from behind it, usually heather....!

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Thanks for that Eddie- the sprocket guard is a "Miranda" one that came with the bike- what is used instead just a lockring? Where from?
My only concern in doing that is a loose lace or bit of clothing getting snagged up in the chain/sprocket? But after each trip I always have to remove crap from behind it, usually heather....!
Use the ring that SW has provided in the link for. It is a very simple swap.

I understand your concern ref the clothing, and obviously I would be a fool to say that it might never happen, but all that I can say is that in the many years that I have ridden without one, I have yet to have had an issue.

I also know what you mean about heather. I find that heather, bracken and gorse cause me more issue than anything else. The issue is with the rear mech and jockey wheels in my case. I never really found it a problem when running a Shimano set up with Sunrace cassette, but with EX1 it is a constant battle to keep the stuff from wrapping around. It is the holes in both the cassette and jockey wheel that cause me an issue.

Okay, I am sometimes a bit extreme with where I ride, so it is probably not surprising.

r1.jpg

• :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you get some of these you dont need laces ;) i use crank brothers tho.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
My days of clipless are over unless I'm on the road! Especially now on sharp climbs where if it goes awry you can never get out in time...I remember after doing techy bits on my Shimano MO86 spd's and on 520 pedals with my arches on the pedals and thinking "Naaa...had enough of this lark". I ordered a lock ring for 7 euro from bike24 as I needed to get stuff for servicing the Pike forks sometime soon...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh im the last person that would use clipless but it really does help shifting the bikes waight around than using flats but still went for the best of both with the double shot 3 peddles.

i find it more of a problem to clip in than out tho atm i just cant look down going 30mph lol.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
I'd rather be in a scabby pair of old leather Brasher boots on flatties... any mechanical or none existent path (leading to hike-a-bike) on the OS map is easier up here in walking boots than shoes...! And shallow river crossings are easier to keep the feet dry rather than water entering via the cleats and a low shoe...

• Agree
Reactions: D C

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
mine are more like trainers but if you cant stand being clipped in then fair enough but it does give you better control of the bikes waight and when you get used to it be even better at technical stuff.

just manual over the rivers lol ;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Two true stories in respect of clipless set up.

I pretty much always ride clipless, but my very first time using them was a disaster. I pulled up at a very busy junction at dual carriageway , and suddenly realised that I couldn't get my feet out, as the clips were adjusted solid. Down I went in a tangled mess with the bike, and couldn't get back up. A car driver that had seen it happened, turned around at the next exit just a short distance away, drove back to where I was, and help get the shoes off, so that I could get off the bike!

The next one had me nearly on the floor with laughter, as on this occasion it was someone else that had the same problem. It was on a Wiggle ride, which took in a short section of road through a high street. Arriving at some traffic lights, the guy in front of me couldn't get out of the clips, and lent on the side of a van just as the lights were about to change. The van driver clearly p****d off, pulled away, and down the guy went. It was one of those real comedy gold moments.
:D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
:p e using them was a disaster. I pulled up at a very busy junction at dual carriageway , and suddenly realised that I couldn't get my feet out, as the clips were adjusted solid. Down I went in a tangled mess with the bike, and couldn't get back up. A car driver that had seen it happened, turned around at the next exit just a short distance away, drove back to where I was, and help get the shoes off, so that I could get off the bike!

The next one had me nearly on the floor with laughter, as on this occasion it was someone else that had the same problem. It was on a Wiggle ride, which took in a short section of road through a high street. Arriving at some traffic lights, the guy in front of me couldn't get out of the clips, and lent on the side of a van just as the lights were about to change. The van driver clearly p****d off, pulled away, and down the guy went. It was one of those real comedy gold moments.
i think the crank brothers system is much better release wise but each to there own i guess.

Barrio Barranco

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2018
Two true stories in respect of clipless set up.

I pretty much always ride clipless, but my very first time using them was a disaster. I pulled up at a very busy junction at dual carriageway , and suddenly realised that I couldn't get my feet out, as the clips were adjusted solid. Down I went in a tangled mess with the bike, and couldn't get back up. A car driver that had seen it happened, turned around at the next exit just a short distance away, drove back to where I was, and help get the shoes off, so that I could get off the bike!

LOL I think we've all been there....Exact thing in 1995 my first Diadora shoes with Time(IIRC) monster cleats on a Peugeot road bike... I was lucky it was a wee village junction and nobody saw me... which is the second thought after "whew nothing is broken"!

Reactions: EddiePJ

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I spotted the anti chain suck device on Rutland for half price the other day, then had chainsuck at the weekend so decided to buy one today and it's now only 10% off.

Moustache also do one, much simpler and cheaper but I can't find anyone with it in stock.

Related Articles

Advertisers