Bosch CX Failure - Early Symptoms

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
At least my got to 4000kms with lot MTBing, but it didn't have seal.
Such early failure with seal is not good news.
Almost all the miles were done in sopping wet mud in the Forest of Dean and Cannock Chase.

The hub is hopefully just bearings, but I did have an issue with the free hub a while ago that I resolved myself.

D

Deleted member 22539

Almost all the miles were done in sopping wet mud in the Forest of Dean and Cannock Chase.

The hub is hopefully just bearings, but I did have an issue with the free hub a while ago that I resolved myself.
Not that it’s any consolation
But my lower headset bearing is knackered at 500 miles mainly off road .

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Well, they’ve had the bike since Tuesday last week and it’s not done yet.

Not a happy bunny. They told me it was a three day turnaround but today the guy dealing with is off and has left no notes as to the state of play. All they could over the phone was confirm the knackered motor is still in the bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch wont send a new motor until the old one has been sent back first and scanned.

if it is still on the bike a week later wtf are they doing!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted member 22539

bosch wont send a new motor until the old one has been sent back first and scanned.

if it is still on the bike a week later wtf are they doing!
Totally agree it’s a quick job to drop the motor
They sound like a bunch of incompetent arseholes :(

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Was it bought from an ebike shop or a bike shop that also sells ebikes.
The difference is apparent when they start selling ebikes but don't retrain their staff to deal with them..
As an example.. I took mine on for a service due to the pivot bearings creaking which they sorted out no problem but I took it in by car and didn't take the battery so when I pointed out that he wouldn't have been able to run an update without the battery he said he didn't know how to do that anyway and the person that did was off sick.
Bear in mind this is a new business so should improve in time..

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
It’s an old school, established bike shop that also sells ebikes. It’s apparently not the first warranty they’ve done.
I went into another bike shop in the same town that I was unaware about before driving past and they are Bosch service partners. They had 8-10 knackered motors to return to Bosch, the replacements were already fitted.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well not much you can do now bar wait for them to sort it out.

D

Deleted member 4366

They had 8-10 knackered motors to return to Bosch
That's a bit worrying.

No failures in those sold at my local ebike shop since they started selling bikes with Bosch motors 18 months ago, but they haven't sold huge quantities.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Apparently I should be getting the bike back next week. They are awaiting the delivery of the replacement motor (which has taken so long because of computer troubles so they couldn’t do a diagnostic report) but they are also waiting a response from Trek about the rear hub, freewheel and frame bearings as they are all knackered too.

Apparently I should be getting the bike back next week. They are awaiting the delivery of the replacement motor (which has taken so long because of computer troubles so they couldn’t do a diagnostic report) but they are also waiting a response from Trek about the rear hub, freewheel and frame bearings as they are all knackered too.
What are you doing with the bike that is killing all the bearings? Its clearly not just a Bosch problem is you've managed to do it to every bearing on the bike, no matter which brand of component the bearing is in.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
What are you doing with the bike that is killing all the bearings? Its clearly not just a Bosch problem is you've managed to do it to every bearing on the bike, no matter which brand of component the bearing is in.
Now now .... lets not let common sense scupper the Bosch bashing ....

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Riding it.

Not every bearing though, the front wheel is ok... [emoji12]

Who’s bashing Bosch? I’m pissed off with the time frame more than the failure itself and that’s down to the dealer who you were happy to blame on FB.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I'll just point out that I requested a service while the bike was having the motor sorted, I didn't know the suspension bearings were knackered.

Riding it.

Not every bearing though, the front wheel is ok... [emoji12]

Who’s bashing Bosch? I’m pissed off with the time frame more than the failure itself and that’s down to the dealer who you were happy to blame on FB.
You were bashing Bosch on Facebook or that's the impression we got. We were simply defending and explaining the systems. At that point for all we knew you could have had a KTM and bought it from one of our dealers.

If you've destroyed the bearing in the rear wheel, the frame and motor all in 350 miles, the "riding" it bit almost certainly isn't the problem. I suspect how your cleaning the bike is the problem.

Again, I'm not having a go, we're just trying to help solve the problems, and not blame the shop, or the brand of parts that have failed.

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
I was simply pointing out that for all the wonderful advancements Bosch are making they still haven't solved the bearing issue. You were trying very hard to convince me that no such issue exists, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

If you've destroyed the bearing in the rear wheel, the frame and motor all in 350 miles, the "riding" it bit almost certainly isn't the problem. I suspect how your cleaning the bike is the problem.
I wondered how long it would be before you tried to blame me. After all, you tried to blame the supplying dealer on FB for not lubing behind the bearing seal. The bike has never been jetwashed. Ever. All I use is a hose and various brushes, just like my I have on my 7 year old Spesh and my 2 year old Nuke, neither of which have any bearing issues.

Again, I'm not having a go, we're just trying to help solve the problems, and not blame the shop, or the brand of parts that have failed.
I'm not seeing any problem solving in your posts so far.
I'm certainly not blaming the shop for the bearings or motor, but I am disappointed with the amount of time it's taken so far, especially as they assured me they would be in touch if there were any issues. Communication is the key in these situations and I wasn't getting any.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have totaled my bike in just 1 day at the forest of dean and destroyed the xd hub go figure that one out even crank brothers was impressed how fooked it was lol.
took the lbs an hour to remove it from the axle to find that the bearings insides had turned to gray mush.

i did have to buy a new one at £95 but crank bros did send a warranty replacement so now have a spare if needed.

Related Articles

Advertisers