Bosch Cx motor noise

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
What is the grease in the official Bosch kit? "Ebike Drive Unit Grease" it says on the the tube.

Is it really just regular silicon grease?
Nope! It's really expensive regular silicone grease! :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Or you could buy it from https://www.performancelinebearings.com Yes, it is a bit more expensive than Ebay, but it goes to help pay for my overheads and the time I spend on 'how to' videos, emails, research forums helping people with motor problems, etc. etc. Sadly, this business is not making a profit yet, indeed, far from it!
I know it's human nature to go for the cheapest, but if everyone does this, we won't be here next year. Please support us if you can. I will lower prices as soon as I can buy in the numbers required for big discounts.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Only €12 for grease and few seals from bike.discount.
£1 less than me! And I'm sure if you ask Bike.discount what that funny noise coming from your motor could be? They will be more than happy to spend hours emailing back and forth until you got to the bottom of it :rolleyes:. Yeah right! Guess what, it's only €10.95 from TiendaMTB! Sad really, I might as well stop selling the stuff, I can't even buy it for that! :(

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
find a seller in china or direct to a factory ;)

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Chinese bearings Mmmmm, :)

D

Deleted member 128

Hi Bearing Man, I'm about to take delivery of an ebike with a Bosch Performance CX motor, do you recommend that I add silicone grease to the outside of the crank bearing or do anything else?

PS I've looked at your website and your videos are superb, well done.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Hi Bearing Man, I'm about to take delivery of an ebike with a Bosch Performance CX motor, do you recommend that I add silicone grease to the outside of the crank bearing or do anything else?

PS I've looked at your website and your videos are superb, well done.
Thank you electrifly. Technically, on a new motor you should have a nice new greased seal. It maybe worth checking as I have seen several with no silicone grease behind the seal. I do add some to the right-hand crank bearing too, but I will have to wait till after winter to find out if it's worth doing or not?
I will say, don't be scared, Bosch is one of the best out there and will go through rain, puddles and streams without issue. Don't pressure wash the motor, don't lay your bike on its side while cleaning, or if on a bike rack put right crank downwards if it cants over. Do all this and you should be ok. And don't forget 99% of the motors out there, suffer the same problem, it's just that there are currently a lot more Bosch motors out there. Use it, enjoy it!

bikey850

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2016
UK
£1 less than me! And I'm sure if you ask Bike.discount what that funny noise coming from your motor could be? They will be more than happy to spend hours emailing back and forth until you got to the bottom of it :rolleyes:. Yeah right! Guess what, it's only €10.95 from TiendaMTB! Sad really, I might as well stop selling the stuff, I can't even buy it for that! :(
Bearing Man, don't give up you are one of the good guys doing the right thing. However a small suggestion is that rather than sell the Bosch stuff just sell generic silicon grease for a slight markup to cover your costs (ie don't make a loss on it). This way we can support you but not have the profits pass down the line to Bosch who are really just selling expensive grease in a tub.

Please don't give up ... and I'm hoping your business flourishes as ebikes increase in usage and the need for skilled engineers mean you have plenty of work from folk looking after their bike motors.

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Bearing Man, don't give up you are one of the good guys doing the right thing. However a small suggestion is that rather than sell the Bosch stuff just sell generic silicon grease for a slight markup to cover your costs (ie don't make a loss on it). This way we can support you but not have the profits pass down the line to Bosch who are really just selling expensive grease in a tub.

Please don't give up ... and I'm hoping your business flourishes as ebikes increase in usage and the need for skilled engineers mean you have plenty of work from folk looking after their bike motors.
Thank you for your kind words bikey850. Sadly, I have to buy the Bosch grease it's the only way I can get the seals for people :( Bosch don't sell them separately :mad:

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
Any shop selling seals, as far as I know, are doing the same as me. But, if you shift the numbers that the e-bikeshop shifts you can afford to sell them a penny cheaper :)

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the problem with that is bar the rip off price is it will wear out fast as it will rub on the outer motor casing.

prob be cheaper in the long run to scan it and 3d print them as only plastic ;)

Bearing Man

Trade Member
Oct 3, 2018
Hampshire
www.ebikemotorcentre.com
the problem with that is bar the rip off price is it will wear out fast as it will rub on the outer motor casing.

prob be cheaper in the long run to scan it and 3d print them as only plastic ;)
Have to agree, I would not want sand or grit getting behind that thing, apart from the sound, it looks like it would make short work of eating through your motor cover!

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Every day I am working on these motors, not just Bosch but we now do Brose, Yamaha, Impulse, Panasonic etc. And they all generally suffer the same issues. Water taking out the bearings. One thing I can assure you all, the bearings themselves in all these motors, are all of excellent quality.
Would regreasing the bearings with top quality fully synthetic grease improve things or is it the seals where moving bits exit the motor case?

Related Articles

Advertisers