Bosch Nyon Issues?. New substantial update: Jan 2015

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Ok, the Nyon system is absolutely 'crap', if anyone is looking at this system and owns a smart phone then I'd say forget the Nyon system. Get a decent holder for your phone and use that, there are so many apps that work far better then what the Nyon can offer and much, much cheaper.

funnyfreddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
Thanks Signwave, I know my question was a little 'off topic'.

Back o the subject, I appreciate all the kind help from those on the forum

Last edited:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ok, the Nyon system is absolutely 'crap', if anyone is looking at this system and owns a smart phone then I'd say forget the Nyon system. Get a decent holder for your phone and use that, there are so many apps that work far better then what the Nyon can offer and much, much cheaper.
A phone might do the mapping better but there are no apps that will show ebike metrics and a recent Apple or Android phone can cost more than £500 which is a lot to be wobbling about on a cross country run. I don't have nyon but would like it.... but for all the problems members are having..

• Agree
Reactions: Twinkleten

jcubbin

Sep 30, 2011
Liverpool
HI Funnyfreddie,

I have the nyon system on my KTM Macina and I did have problems with the range of the wifi when trying to set it up initially, I suspect you may have the same problem.

My first suggestion would be to get the Nyon display removed from the bike (mine just slips on and clicks in to place and is easily removed). I know you said it is security attached but the method i will show is with it "offboard".
IMG_3466.JPG

On the right hand side of the Nyon Display is a covered usb port, just peel the rubber cover back to access it. IMG_3447.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG

You will need to have the correct style of usb cable available and then ensure you connect it the correct way around. You can use your iphone charger to then power the Nyon display. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CONNECT THE NYON TO YOUR PC/MAC

IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3460.JPG

When you swicth on the NYON it will connect to your wifi network and will show that it is "Connected"
IMG_3456.JPG

The wifi connection will also show on the dashboard

IMG_3458.JPG

With the NYON powered from the mains and a Strong Wifi connection the unit should display that an update is available

IMG_3459.JPG

Click on Start and then watch as the Nyon downloads and installs the latest version of the software.

IMG_3461.JPG IMG_3462.JPG

The speed of your internet connection will obviously affect how long the download will take.
The Nyon will automatically install the update and reboot (possibly a few times)

More to follow.......

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

jcubbin

Sep 30, 2011
Liverpool
IMG_3463.JPG IMG_3464.JPG

The Nyon will have updated to the newest version of the software

IMG_3465.JPG

You should now be able to connect to the Nyon using the bluetooth on your Iphone. By the way what model of iphone do you have and what version of IOS as i think you need at least an Iphone 5 with at least IOS 7.

You also need to download the maps for either your area or the whole of the UK.

IMG_3467.JPG IMG_3468.JPG IMG_3470.JPG IMG_3471.JPG

The Nyon in action with navigation
IMG_3474.JPG

Sorry if you know all of this already. I've just gone through the update process as described and it went without any hiccups.

Ignore everone reporting how useless it is and give it a good try yourself, I think you'll be quite happy once you have it up and running correctly.

funnyfreddie

Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
image.jpeg 'Wow' again to Jcubbin, a huge' thank you for taking so much time to help me ....I just saw your post as I was about to report back 'positive' feedback to Twinkleten who kindly shared his screen details for me to compare earlier.

This is my findings which are confirming what Twinkleten and Jcubbin wrote above....

After a good day riding, I went to the workshop and removed the unit for the handlebars and then removed the 8mm locking screw. Quick and easy job.

Next, I fired up my iMac , hooked up the Nyon to the USB and bingo, new download started.

Note, prior to this stage, this never happened whilst on the bike despite wheeling it indoors with full wifi , plugging in the USB to unit and powering via the mains. Nothing!!!

Comparing twinkletens screen to mine (thanks for that ), it showed my device was never updated. See photo...

image.jpeg

After the new d/loads had done their job, the unit rebooted and all was looking good.
Version 1.5.0.0 now loaded/ installed.
image.jpeg

I now have a colour screen, more info and all in the world was looking fixed.

Oh bother...to quote dear old Winnie the Pooh ...despite the polar H7 heart monitor showing as 'paired' it still does not show or hook up to the Nyon.

It still shows on me apple silly health app but not on the all important Nyon.
I went for a quick spin on the bike tonight round the block to see if that made any difference but nothing, no heart beat or bpm logging.

You guys on the forum have done an amazing job of getting me this far, does anyone have any ideas what's going on with the brand new 2 day Polar H7.
image.jpeg

It shows as paired but it also shows not in range and I am sat right next to the Nyon which is plugged back on the bike.

image.jpeg

Oh yes, the only other thing on my 'I don't believe it' list was the mapping.

I hope to test that tomorrow and will give fingers crossed, hopefully a success resolve now the unit has been updated.

Meanwhile, a sincere thank you to everyone for you kind time and help,in getting me this far.
funnyfreddie who will going to sleep tonight a lot happier

jcubbin

Sep 30, 2011
Liverpool
Glad you've got it updated Funkyfreddie, I think the key to it must be having it removed from the bike. I know it allows you to charge devices via usb when it is connected to the bike and it may well be in this mode if is left on the bike when trying to do the update. It is difficult to tell from the information given in the user manual.

Sorry I can't help you on the polar h7 problem, I did see this video on YouTube but I think you are already at that point seeing you have paired the device.

Report back on what you think of the mapping abilities of the nyon, I used it in the Lake District and found it very good.

funnyfreddie

Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
Thanks guys

I want this to work as you know, who needs unnecessary hassle in life?

Phil, it only hooked up for the first time tonight after the update. Once that update was complete, it took ages to search and say it was paired. Trouble is, despite being so called paired, it still isn't reading the polar.

JC.. Yes , I agree, let's hope all gets sorted and I can start to enjoy what I paid a lot of money for.

Lake District... Stop it, my eyes are turning green lol

jcubbin

Sep 30, 2011
Liverpool
I've just read on the polar support page that if you pair the polar h7 with your iPhone using Bluetooth > my devices then it doesn't work in the polar beats app. You need to disconnect in the place you would normally connect a Bluetooth device and only use their app.

I wonder if the polar is still connected to your iPhone?

Have you tried the polar h7 connected to your iPhone to confirm it works ok?

If it does work it may be worth unpairing from the phone and nyon and then repairing with just the nyon.

Search for
How to pair H7 heart rate sensor with Polar Beat app iOS
On their site to confirm.

Good luck getting it all sorted in time for an enjoyable ride tomorrow.

• Useful

funnyfreddie

Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
JC... Me thinks you have just moved to top of the class chuckle...
That all makes logical sense to me.

I will try that route tomorrow. Cheers fella, much appreciated.

Quick off subject JC, your KTM Macina, ref the locking wheels, do you have the little in built silver wheels locks on yours and did your dealer give you any keys? Mine didn't and it don't make any sense as surely you need a key to lock/unlock them?

Sorry people for this off subject...JC, can you pm me your reply please and I will stay on topic :cool:)) thanks

funnyfreddie

Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
Oh Happy Days :D

It's being to look a lot like Christmas.....chuckle...

Yup, you may of gathered I am a bit 'cock-a-hoop' today because the Nyon, thanks to the help and support from you guys is finally sorted.

Updates ...sorted
Miles instead of kilometres, sorted.
Mapping...it got me there and back on the 'test route' via normal mapping process of entering a postcode. I even did the usual of going left instead of right a few times and it sorted itself aok each time.

Not tested the gpx files routing yet but I feel now all is updated, that will be ok too.

The dreaded Polar H7? Thanks JC, top answer :)... I disconnected it from the iPhone 6 and , bingo, the Nyon came 'alive' lol.

I did pop to the local bike shop (using the postcode to test mapping) where I brought the bikes and saw the guy who was on holiday now returned but in truth, thanks to you guys, all is fixed so nothing for them to do.

I told the guys in the shop, Pedelecs was ace and they got things sorted for me.

The 'off topic' key question ref the front / rear wheels quick release system, apparently no keys are provided the shop guy said.

So in summary, now it is all working, I will wait and give a fresh and open review in a while to see if Nyon does live up to my expections.

I know there have been very frustrating times for me in getting this sorted but all is well in the end, I hope.

And finally, as Trevor Macdonut would say at the end of the news, I hear you all asking, yes, yes, that's fab we clever boys n gals helped you get this all sorted, but what about the support from Bosch UK?

That 'IS' the answer to your question, 'what support' from Bosch UK or indeed Bosch in Germany or the Bosch Experts?....nil, nothing , bleep all.

Still not had any help or replies to emails sent and phone calls to date which I feel Bosch, is extremely poor. You need to step up!

This just leaves me to send a sincere and huge Thank You to everyone who helped me.

The good thing is, this thread will help others who I am sure, will be walking the same frustrating path to resolve their problems with Nyon.

Amen to that :rolleyes: ....

• Informative

giorgino

Just Joined
Sep 2, 2016
Liberec
Hello, I have upgraded from display Intuvia to Nyon 2016 recently. What makes me crazy is this: I still do not know how to disable / turn off the GPS when riding without navigation. When I turn on the Nyon, GPS starts automatically and there is no setting to turn off the GPS. Only setting for Bluetooth and WIFI. Maybe I need an update for this setting? I do not need maps, I do not need 2 GHz+ all the time going through my brain/head and/or body to satelitte. LOL. I like the big screen with all the informations on the home page and I want to activate GPS only sometimes (less than 1% of riding :D). I do not believe that GPS on/off cannot be controlled due to a German factory and Germains like eco, healths and so on. If so, it would be a disappointment to go back to Intuvia. You are more experienced, what you think?

Thank you for any help in advance!

(Eg. A heart monitor via Bluetooth - really "health". 21st century and business , no health. :D

Eg. Why a cheaper display + glossy screen for a little bit saturation? Because a mate display with a higher color gamut would be more expensive? Mobile devices in 2015/2016 often have a high quality IPS+ or super AMOLED displays and exist mate ones.

Njn, businees.)

Jirka Švestka, the Czech Republic

Last edited:

earwig

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2014
I thought I would offer a late reply as I only read this forum occasionally, but after owning a Haibike with Nyon for about 2 years now I thought I would update my thoughts on Nyon.

I does offer "offroad mapping", but the UK version is totally unusable and after may updates it still does random routing, sends you up non-existent roads and motorways etc etc. Do not take it seriously, but it does give a rough guide and tells you wher you are in between lockups.

What it does provide is fairly accurate information on journeys, which can be viewed on maps on the website. The downside is that Bosch take complete control of this info and there is no way to download it.

Also invariably a software update requires a factory reset and all the historical data and downloaded maps in the Nyon gets lost.

I have many complaints about Nyon and its unreliability, randomly switching display modes etc, but on the whole I like the extra information on battery, power exerted etc etc and it is far more convenient and more reliable than a phone app. I think the large size is essential for the extra info although the poor display resolution does not help.

I don't know how accurate the powermeter info is, but it is adequate for me and I know it would cost a fortune to fit a new crank with torque sensor to a conventional bike to provide similar power information

German software and support is abysmal.

I was originally intending to remove my Nyon, now I think I would expect one on my replacement bike if I upgraded as it seems to be the least bad option out there.

I am also now getting used to the Bosch drive system after about 2000 miles on a mix of tough offroad and flat onroad and spending more time using the bike with the power off or in eco mode with occasional bursts of turbo up hills. I would really like an ultralightweight ebike as well as the Allmountain, which I could ride more quickly and comfortably on the flat and still giving me a boost up hills or against the wind.