Bosch trekking / touring bikes?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Wissy,

If you want the same gear ratio or more really your choice is between a bike with DualDrive or Rolhoff the later is normally an add on or on some of the R&M bikes but very expensive Croxden has one with it and they are renowned for being virtually bullet proof. Any of the NuVinci options have only 360% versus about 600% for the Dual Drive.

In terms of Haibike the Trekking is a similar spec to the KTM but more money. Although the Habike are good quality machines.

The difference between the two new motors is you get more torque (60nm versus 48nm) with the performance line and up to 275% assistance (versus 225%). All the bikes I have seen with DualDrive have active line system (i.e. less powerful) or the 2013 system (now referred to as Classic line). Although Eurobike is coming in August and that is when most companies launch their 2015 models.

All the best
David

Thanks tim... I have heard of the Rohloff things but cannot justify 1-2k extra just for that.. Really looking to see which model is the equivalen or newer version of my macina hs? They have so many different models and change all the time it seems so i get confused. KTM didn't seem to do the macina dual hs for very long did they?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
I advise all to be aware what happens if there is a problem ask key questions when buying from distance e.g. do I have to pay for returns, do I have to find my own box etc.

If we can not provide what you require I would be happy to recommend other suppliers who I trust and have no commercial connection with. I would not want you to be let down if something happened.

We have also improved a loan scheme so people get a bike more similar to their original. Plus we are a full UK service centre for Bosch with trained people, required tools/diagnostic kit in stock plus spare parts.

There is a reason Bosch have about 70% of the market in Europe! According to German pedelec forum it is more reliable than Impulse system (feel free to check this out).

All the best
David
Thanks david.. Sorry but called you Tim in another post lol.. I am still a bit dopey.

I know about your excellent customer service and assistance first hand and that is why ElectifyingCycles would be on my shortlist for a newer model if available. Question would be .. Would you want me!!

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
The HS was the 2013 model, it was continued for 2014, but the HS bit was dropped, so its just called the Macina Dual now.

Cheers
Col
Thanks.. Aha.. So no difference at all between hs model then?? What did hs actually mean then.. Thought it was a technical thignie?

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Do you expect prices to go up yet again just because they would be 2015 models and does KTM lower price of 2014 models soon?

Thanks.. Aha.. So no difference at all between hs model then?? What did hs actually mean then.. Thought it was a technical thignie?
HS is just because it has Magura HS brakes on it... I think there might have been talk of doing a disc brake option, so they had to generate a name to ensure if they did one with discs it was easy to identify.

Col

Do you expect prices to go up yet again just because they would be 2015 models and does KTM lower price of 2014 models soon?
There will be no reduction on 2014 models, anytime soon, or infact anytime at all. KTM isn't ever going to be that sort of brand, we've built over 50,000 eBikes this year - and they will all sell out. So no need for any clearance.

2015 models will start getting built in September, but there will be some early release models featuring the Nyon Bosch display, we're hoping to start building them towards the end of this month. But they will all be with the Bosch Performance drive.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Ok.. Any chance of an idiot's guide to these two different motors? I have had the detailed technical links and explanation before but did not 'get it'. I take it the manufacturer will decide which bike gets which motor... Not the customer choice.

BUT why two different motors??

Ok.. Any chance of an idiot's guide to these two different motors? I have had the detailed technical links and explanation before but did not 'get it'. I take it the manufacturer will decide which bike gets which motor... Not the customer choice.

BUT why two different motors??
just think of it like cars, some people want more performance / economy and brands have to offer people options. As any market matures the options grow, so the more established brands will offer different frame styles, sizes, colours, and motors to suit more customers needs rather just making one eBike on hope that suits everyone. There is now growing choice in the market, and this has got to be a good thing.

In any car engine, you'll get different options, and its the same with eBikes.

the brands choose which motor they spec, just like they do with cars and then you as a consumer choose which matches your needs and budget.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Wissy, It has been advised on here that the Rohloff is an overkill on a ebike. It's not what I have found, not often am I in the lower 4 gears but it has happened.

Whether you wish to spend the extra is another matter, but they are very good.

I am considering a Birdy non electric but doubt if I would go with the Rohloff as it would only be a fair weather bike I could easily take in the car to level areas otherwise I would, mind after a test ride I could change my mind.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
just think of it like cars, some people want more performance / economy and brands have to offer people options. As any market matures the options grow, so the more established brands will offer different frame styles, sizes, colours, and motors to suit more customers needs rather just making one eBike on hope that suits everyone. There is now growing choice in the market, and this has got to be a good thing.

In any car engine, you'll get different options, and its the same with eBikes.

the brands choose which motor they spec, just like they do with cars and then you as a consumer choose which matches your needs and budget.
But what are differences.. With my vw campers i had 1.6 / 1.7 and 2l.. What is basic differencebetween two motors? Unlike cars consumerdoes not get to choose which motor for model bike?? Or do we?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Hi Wissy,

I will post you a book on each of the three motors this week. But basically the difference between the Active and Performance line is that the latter is more powerful. The advantage of the active line is that it has a longer range due to not being quite as powerful. Therefore the performance motor is often fitted to off road bikes where more assistance is required (not always off road bikes but often) and the active line to touring bikes where range is more important. Both Active Line and Performance line batteries can now be charged on the bike.

And no worries about the name mix up I have been called worst things!

DW

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks david.. Sorry but called you Tim in another post lol.. I am still a bit dopey.

I know about your excellent customer service and assistance first hand and that is why ElectifyingCycles would be on my shortlist for a newer model if available. Question would be .. Would you want me!!
We value all our customers especially you :)

with KTM, most models come with the active line, but then we offer an upgraded versions with the performance line.

ie, Macina Cross, and the Macina Cross Plus, or Macina Sport, and Macina Sport Plus.

The plus denotes the fact that the bike has the Performance Line.

In other models, say the more sporty Mountain Bikes.... the Macina Action has the Active Line, and the Macina Race has the Performance Line.

There are other upgrades, but essentially yes you can chose Active or Performance in most styles of bike in the KTM range.

The easiest way of explaining the difference is to look at the numbers.

if you have a look here on our google drive:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B35vfCMfgy1GeFBWdF9ydnpNc28&usp=sharing&tid=0B35vfCMfgy1GSG9paFp2enVnSm8

and then look at the two fact sheets for the 2014 systems you'll have some good details.

The key thing to look at is page 15 of both manuals it shows the numbers, which is what you need to compare.

I could copy and past all the info into here, but its best read in context.

Essentially, you get a higher % assist, and more torque.

Hope that helps.

wissy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
Wales
Thanks... as soon as I read manuals I lose concentration and give up.. the piccies seem to show the computer bit is the same as my macina dual hs pedelec? I take it these powerpacks are different to mine and would not be transferrable on my bike or with my existing charger.....

So basically The performance one is more expensive and works harder or something like that. i think suggestion is that trekking / touring bikes use the active one .. demure riding sort of thing? i lime the idea of extra 'oomph' on hills if that makes sense?

How far will a 400 battery at full turbo take you with both motors? Mine gets me about 22miles from full charge to empty

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Thanks... as soon as I read manuals I lose concentration and give up.. the piccies seem to show the computer bit is the same as my macina dual hs pedelec? I take it these powerpacks are different to mine and would not be transferrable on my bike or with my existing charger.....

So basically The performance one is more expensive and works harder or something like that. i think suggestion is that trekking / touring bikes use the active one .. demure riding sort of thing? i lime the idea of extra 'oomph' on hills if that makes sense?

How far will a 400 battery at full turbo take you with both motors? Mine gets me about 22miles from full charge to empty
You would get a few more miles with the Active Line system than you get currently and slightly less with the Performance.

The new batteries and chargers are different and not interchangeable but you do have the advantage of being able to charge the battery on the bike. The display is similar but not the same it is slightly larger.