Help! Bought second hand conversion bike which needs fixing

Dave Rotherham

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2019
Rotherham
Hi guys I've bought a converted bike because I don't really get out much at all these days so I thought getting this bike should give me some motivation to get out, I payed £400 leaving me with £100 to get it fixed if that's enough, it came with a spare hub and controller and 3 spare rims, it never occurred to me fixing it isn't as easy as a normal bikes. sort of regret getting it.

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
Dave, I have built my own and another for a friend and repaired both of them, i think that £100 should be plenty to fix it but depends on the issues that you are having...

Can you list the issues that you have found so far and lets see if we can work out what may be wrong, i will also take a look at your other post with the pics

Dave Rotherham

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 10, 2019
Rotherham
Dave, I have built my own and another for a friend and repaired both of them, i think that £100 should be plenty to fix it but depends on the issues that you are having...

Can you list the issues that you have found so far and lets see if we can work out what may be wrong, i will also take a look at your other post with the pics
I dont live anywhere near you. There's a split on rear rim, I managed to ride it home when I bought it, it wobbled a bit and made a strange noise and it came with another half built wheel with motor. I've also just realised that battery doesn't charge either, a big spark when plugging into battery. Maybe I should have known a bit more first before buying it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If the motor is OK, you can fix the rim. heat it up with a blow torch to nearly red hot. that will soften it so that you can gently tap it back into shape. it will stay soft even after it cools down, but when you tap it, it'll return to hard again, so go through an iterative process of heating and tapping until it goes back into shape. you'll be surprised how easy it is, so be gentle with the tapping. Obviously, you'll have a burn mark afterwards, but that's a small price compared with the agro of re-building the wheel with that heavy motor.

Reactions: Dave Rotherham

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
Dont give up just yet everything can be fixed
best of luck with it

Reactions: Steve Dyson

Steve Dyson

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2018
I will re look at pics and seeif I can advise best way to sort it, shame you cant get it over to me as I could take a look and advis
Turns out the battery is ****** too and I can't get hold of the person I bought it off I give up
Looks like i am about an hour away from you, the offer is there if you need it looking at and getting the parts working, dont need the bike just the motor, controller, battery and any LCD that may control things.

i can then tell you whats ****** and what works, give you a price on fixing or trade in against one of my fully working ones