Boxer Cargo Trike Pedal Sensor

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
The pedal sensor was damaged when the chain came off due to rider error. A wire was broken on the receiver (I hope that's the correct term).

I'm hopeless at anything practical so tried to find someone to repair it. None of those advertising ebike repairs would even look at it.

Found a guy who worked for Freego before they folded. He couldn't get it working.

The trike is now with a company who also can't get it working using the existing controller. They propose replacing the display, controller, battery ( the originals are in need of replacement ) & pedal sensor with the Provomec syatem that they are familiar with.

The Provomec controllers, https://www.promovec.com/en-us/components , show pedal sensor type as "speed". I remember reading on this forum that speed controllers are inferior to current controllers.

Ideally I would like to use KT dual voltage controller & use 48V batteries but need to find a company capable of doing the job.

I'm going to see the company who have the trike tomorrow afternoon.

Any advice please.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No one can offer where to go or who might help if we don't know where you live.
And yes KT current control any day of the week over a harsher speed control system.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The pedal sensor was damaged when the chain came off due to rider error. A wire was broken on the receiver (I hope that's the correct term).

I'm hopeless at anything practical so tried to find someone to repair it. None of those advertising ebike repairs would even look at it.

Found a guy who worked for Freego before they folded. He couldn't get it working.

The trike is now with a company who also can't get it working using the existing controller. They propose replacing the display, controller, battery ( the originals are in need of replacement ) & pedal sensor with the Provomec syatem that they are familiar with.

The Provomec controllers, https://www.promovec.com/en-us/components , show pedal sensor type as "speed". I remember reading on this forum that speed controllers are inferior to current controllers.

Ideally I would like to use KT dual voltage controller & use 48V batteries but need to find a company capable of doing the job.

I'm going to see the company who have the trike tomorrow afternoon.

Any advice please.
Ebikes are really easy to understand and fix. If you take it to a repairer and they can't figure out exactly what's wrong in 5 minutes, they probably haven't got a clue what they're doing, and best to take your bike away from them.

If you break a pedal sensor wire, it's a two minute job to rejoin the wires, and it should work because there's no damage you can do to anything else by breaking one of its wires. They're only 5v.

If you want or need advice on how to proceed, you should post pictures of your bike showing the motor, the pedal sensor, the battery, the whole bike, and ideally the controller and all its wires in a way that we can see the individual wires and connectors.

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
My location is in my profile:- Chandler's Ford halfway between Winchester & Southampton.

I think I'm going to bring the trike back home and with the assistance of this forum and either a recommended company or my neighbour ( he built me a micro wire welder ) get it to what I want.

I will have to get my sons to take photos as I have a dumb phone and don't have a camera.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My location is in my profile:- Chandler's Ford halfway between Winchester & Southampton.

I think I'm going to bring the trike back home and with the assistance of this forum and either a recommended company or my neighbour ( he built me a micro wire welder ) get it to what I want.

I will have to get my sons to take photos as I have a dumb phone and don't have a camera.
Dumb phones are great if you don't need any help from anyone.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My family are all Apple nuts. I tried 2 iPhones. Arthritic hands & an old brain meant they went to a car boot sale. Big buttons rule!
Don't get an iphone then. They're crap anyway. I don't understand what you're saying about buttons. Most smartphones don't have them. It must be around 15 years since phones had buttons on them.

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
Don't get an iphone then. They're crap anyway. I don't understand what you're saying about buttons. Most smartphones don't have them. It must be around 15 years since phones had buttons on them.
It's the on screen keyboards. I hate them.

Most of my contact is through laptop or desktop keyboards and texts on my big button phone.

Now remembered I do still have a smartphone. A Motorola that I had to get when I bought a wireless speaker. Only way to get internet radio stations onto the presets is through an app. Checked and it's at the back of a drawer. Hope it charges. If so I'll get the Apple fanboys to show me how to take photos with it.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's the on screen keyboards. I hate them.

Most of my contact is through laptop or desktop keyboards and texts on my big button phone.

Now remembered I do still have a smartphone. A Motorola that I had to get when I bought a wireless speaker. Only way to get internet radio stations onto the presets is through an app. Checked and it's at the back of a drawer. Hope it charges. If so I'll get the Apple fanboys to show me how to take photos with it.
Well, it's either a smartphone or no help. which do you choose?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My family are all Apple nuts. I tried 2 iPhones. Arthritic hands & an old brain meant they went to a car boot sale. Big buttons rule!
have you tried an ipad? my grand kids can use them from as little as 3/4 years old. You can have SIM card and use wireless keyboard with them.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
I have a "Bluetooth Keyboard" which can be paired with both my tablet and also android smartphone.

Do you have access to a laptop? Possibly using the webcam if it has one to take pictures would work?

TTFN
John.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
I have a "Bluetooth Keyboard" which can be paired with both my tablet and also android smartphone.

Do you have access to a laptop? Possibly using the webcam if it has one to take pictures would work?

TTFN
John.
I have a Windows 11 pro laptop that I am typing this on.

Checked Device Manager and I have HP HD Camera & HP IR Camera listed.

Things to do:- Find Motorola phone charging cable. Learn how to use laptop camera.

Thank you all for encouraging me out of my comfort zone.:D

Reactions: snafu and Woosh

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
have you tried an ipad? my grand kids can use them from as little as 3/4 years old. You can have SIM card and use wireless keyboard with them.
My wife is never far from her iPhone &/or iPad. I just find IOS counterintuative.

I'm not a technophobe. In the days of the Sinclair QL I used to write my own programs & be up half the night debugging.

Over the years I've lost interest in the latest tech must haves. My laptops last me 8 - 10yrs. I use them for emails & the internet. My desktop is used mainly for spreadsheets calculating ingredients for the vape liquids I make and playing music whilst I make them.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My wife is never far from her iPhone &/or iPad. I just find IOS counterintuative.

I'm not a technophobe. In the days of the Sinclair QL I used to write my own programs & be up half the night debugging.

Over the years I've lost interest in the latest tech must haves. My laptops last me 8 - 10yrs. I use them for emails & the internet. My desktop is used mainly for spreadsheets calculating ingredients for the vape liquids I make and playing music whilst I make them.
Do you have a point and shoot digital camera? Some of the older ones especially, register as mass storage when connected via USB, so your laptop might not even need a card reader? Drag and drop to upload to the forum.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

You're living in the past, mate. Stone age men were probably very happy, though they only lived to about 30. If you'd asked one about whether he needed a supermarket or whether he needed to send his kids to school, he'd probably have said "no".

Apple is bad, they listen to you and sell your data, the same as Amazon and some other big corporations. Get a £50 Chinese phone. They can have all your data. What can they do with it other than send you a few adverts for ebike stuff?

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stone age men were probably very happy, though they only lived to about 30. If you'd asked one about whether he needed a supermarket or whether he needed to send his kids to school, he'd probably have said "no".
If only they'd continued to say "No".

We'd still be dying at our peak instead of then facing 50 years of slow painful decline with an ill functioning NHS only able to offer comforting words like "Seven year waiting list" and "Covid booster".

Of course that would have meant missing out on all our advances, the sum of which being countless millions of things to worry about that we never knew existed before.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
New skull space could accommodate a tennis ball's worth of brain.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If only they'd continued to say "No".

We'd still be dying at our peak instead of then facing 50 years of slow painful decline with an ill functioning NHS only able to offer comforting words like "Seven year waiting list" and "Covid booster".

Of course that would have meant missing out on all our advances, the sum of which being countless millions of things to worry about that we never knew existed before.
I'm glad I lived beyond 30. The best times were between 30 and 50, though I'm still happy to be alive.

Advertisers