Brakes acting up yet again.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As an update.. Brake working ok only lasted a few miles and I was then back wirh no brake and horrible groaning when cold until it gets hot then it's ok.. all be it with a good lever rather than the spongy one I had before. With lever on really hard and a bit of weight on the saddle i can push the bike and turn the wheel so all I can think is it has a small leak somewhere that gets on the pads but then burns off with the heat or its some other problem I don't understand..
So taking the bull by the horns I bought a new caliper, rotor and bleed kit and have done the job myself!
Feeling chuffed at the mo, but havnt tested it yet so having a beer to celebrate. All I need now is a van ...

Reactions: D C and EddiePJ

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I bought a new caliper, rotor and bleed kit and have done the job myself!
Feeling chuffed at the mo, but havnt tested it yet so having a beer to celebrate.
See job satisfaction and a beer
What more could you want :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should have changed the hose as well cos if it is leaking then same problem will happen.

tbh them single piston calipers are not up to the job on ebikes as now most new ones come with dual pistons like i have.

you grab my front brake hard n you going over the bars funny as hell letting ppl have a go pmsl.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
i can fix and build pc systems but when it comes to apple crap its not worth the headache.
Andy built 54 PCs for a local school last week in a day.
It took me just as long to load and deliver.
A good and cheap mobile mechanic is gold dust.
Where about are you Gubbins?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Andy built 54 PCs for a local school last week in a day.
It took me just as long to load and deliver.
A good and cheap mobile mechanic is gold dust.
Where about are you Gubbins?
so could i if i just took them out the box and attached monitor ect.

takes 20mins to install win 10 let alone fit the mobo cpu and ram add psu gfx card set up all the fan curves for the case its in and test it all and install win 10 updates n that can take hrs so 54 is impossible :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
so could i if i just took them out the box and attached monitor ect.

takes 20mins to install win 10 let alone fit the mobo cpu and ram add psu gfx card set up all the fan curves for the case its in and test it all and install win 10 updates n that can take hrs so 54 is impossible :D
a lot of schools don't have money to pay for Windows 10, they run Linux now. We wouldn't be able to compete if the schools want Windows anyway. BTW, you clone the SSD while you build the next PC.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
a lot of schools don't have money to pay for Windows 10, they run Linux now. We wouldn't be able to compete if the schools want Windows anyway. BTW, you clone the SSD while you build the next PC.
a win 10 pro key costs £4
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOWS-10-PRO-WIN-10-OEM-32-64-BIT-GENUINE-LICENSE-ORIGINAL-ACTIVATION-KEY/253650065355?_trkparms=aid=555017&algo=PL.CASSINI&ao=1&asc=20151005190540&meid=9a408cceca534ce7b575dd481f5655a6&pid=100505&rk=1&rkt=1&&itm=253650065355&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226.

and yes they do work as done one last week tho the fkn case is a no show lol.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
As an update.. Brake working ok only lasted a few miles and I was then back wirh no brake and horrible groaning when cold until it gets hot then it's ok.. all be it with a good lever rather than the spongy one I had before. With lever on really hard and a bit of weight on the saddle i can push the bike and turn the wheel so all I can think is it has a small leak somewhere that gets on the pads but then burns off with the heat or its some other problem I don't understand..
So taking the bull by the horns I bought a new caliper, rotor and bleed kit and have done the job myself!
Feeling chuffed at the mo, but havnt tested it yet so having a beer to celebrate. All I need now is a van ...
Easier replace whole system, Shimano M315 brakes are cheap as on special. If want better brake go for Deore, differently step up in performance.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Easier replace whole system, Shimano M315 brakes are cheap as on special. If want better brake go for Deore, differently step up in performance.
The cables go through the frame and the motor so makes it a big job. Brakes were obsolete anyway so replaced with m7000. No idea If They are good or bad.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
SLX M7000 are excellent brakes.
Did the mechanic tell you what went wrong? If you lose braking power suddenly and it comes back later then I would suspect the adjustment of the freestroke / contact point.
Did he check the oil level in the reservoir before bleeding the brakes?
If the reservoir was still full then it means that your hose is still good and there is no leak.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I’m going to disagree the worst brakes I’ve had for random bite points are XT m8000 which are basically the same as SLX m7000
They were always bled correctly and would be nothing but trouble and this was 2 different bike factory fitted with them and they were always random to say the least , don’t get me wrong they always worked well but were very rarely predictable in travel
If you google them I’m also not the only one who has suffered
Now the lower models have been zero trouble and with the right pads and discs are pretty much just as good for stopping

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I run the Shimano m395 - m496 series of brakes on 5 bikes and non have given me issues and give solid braking with longer lever travel with worn pads.

Reactions: Fat Rat

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well, I gave them a good test last night which included a 45mph 20% gradient downhill dash with 5mph hairpin bends which is a big stop for me and a heavy bike, and was able to control the back without skidding until it started to fade 3/4 of the way down. If any one knows from the top of Green Sykes rd into Goose Eye Brow, which had also been gravelled, it's a drop and a half so is a good test. I used the resin pads that came with the caliper so will have to change them asap.
I wonder if I am asking too much.. I have become addicted to daring myself to go faster and leave the braking later.. incidentally, when the old brake with the sintered pads was hot and working it was better than the new one but when it wasn't it was useless.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers