Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG
I have to also say to you, the referendum is over, no sides now
He is a member of the cabinet and I think the idea is that he works for the good of country, talking it down as chancellor is what the last one did
Funny isn't it the number of people that manage to miss the whole point
Some, even, all of the time
As you seem determined to prove, well done!
Do you really trust these people not to do exactly what they like and not what you want?

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
I agree, a small return might have been suitable in the far off days when politics was dominated by a wealthy upper class with a sense of vocation, but in post WW2 days it's been a problem for those with no wealth. I remember how bad it was in the 1980s and '90s when London Underground drivers earned a basic of over double that of MPs.

It's proportionally much better now than it was then, but still the reward is more relative to vocation than an adequate return. Little wonder they earn so much more after leaving parliament.
I think the issue is that we need to get a better calibre of people into government, whether it be by salary or other means
The common thread running threw this whole Brexit thread has been the total dissolutionment with politicians generally, and it does not seem to be limited to which side of the arguement you are on, which political pursuasion or even whether it's Europe or UK
That's a pretty strong conclusion to come to,
What are we going to do about it

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As I am sure someone once quoted, you could have been a somebody!
Well lets see now, which promise has been kept so far?
Immediate invocation of clause 50 for instance, and you aren't really in favour of Brexit are you ? you just want to strong arm them to get your own way as this post of yours proves.

post #266
Two level system is good, The Euro area with full Fiscal and political union and the rest, outside the Euro but part of the Common market, and outside of Free movement area so accommodating new entrants, even Turkey
Frankly this is basically what we are asking for and helps Spain, Italy and Greece Portugal to be more competitive with the Germans with floating currency and less restrictions. I heard this was under consideration, why don't they just get on with it?"

Have an epiphany did you and suddenly see "The light"?

So what's this we are all Brexiters now business?
Shouldn't you add "until we extort a better deal that is?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I hope he is better as chancellor, as he is a mouth on a stick
Can't change his spots I understand, but how stupid. Someone tell him he is no longer on the campaign trail but is responsible for managing the economy, which sometimes involves talking it up
Ha, you lot wouldn't be any help to him would you;)
Hammond is much cleverer than Osborne.
Hammond graduated first class in PPE Oxford, Osborne 2.1 in Mordern History. Hammond succeeded in every job he had in the private sector, Osborne could not even succeed in his only career pre politics as a journalist.
My money is with Hammond any day.
May has put the brightest brains from the ranks of tory MPs in key jobs and leave brexit to the brexiteers.
When she said, brexit is brexit, she actually means 'you brexit, you fixit'.

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Hammond is much cleverer than Osborne.
Hammond graduated first class in PPE Oxford, Osborne 2.1 in Mordern History. Hammond succeeded in every job he had in the private sector, Osborne could not even succeed in his only career pre politics as a journalist.
My money is with Hammond any day.
May has put the brightest brains from the ranks of tory MPs in key jobs and leave brexit to the brexiteers.
When she said, brexit is brexit, she actually means 'you brexit, you fixit'.
My only regret and question is
Who the hell signed us up for a deal with a 2 year termination clause, real smart that. If I did that I'd get sacked
Can any of you well researched EU smart asses tell me why we can't just tear up the contract, stop paying and be gone tomorrow. Of course I know they will scream blue murder and apply tariffs but so what, that's what they are planning to do anyway according to you pessimists
And that's a genuine question so only genuine answers need apply.
Please note All smart asses

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Brendan....if you were serious about making a success of Brexit would you put Boris as Foreign Secretary? Don't get me wrong I like Boris,he did a good job as London Mayor, but nobody could think of Boris as a diplomat.
David Davis is old,by the time this could be over,he will be in his 70's.
Don't know much about Liam Fox?
If you were serious about Brexit there must be a better trio you could put together.
We should have a bet how long will Boris last?
Chatting here at work,we give him 6 months.
KudosDvae

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Can any of you well researched EU smart asses tell me why we can't just tear up the contract, stop paying and be gone tomorrow.
Absolutely nothing, as far as the EU issue is concerned we could just walk out, though internally we should first cancel our European act.

Of course walking out is a breach of our agreement to the two year notice term which might be regarded as poor behaviour by other countries with whom we'd like to deal, but there's nothing the EU could realistically do legally.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure he doesn't like this appointment, so being the smart cookie that he is, he might deliberately drop some sort of clanger to give himself the opportunity to "honourably" resign the post.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Boris is quite capable of redeeming himself and rebuilding bridges with people he previously insulted. brain-wise, he is a 2.1. I reckon he'll got the best job of the three brexiteers.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the issue is that we need to get a better calibre of people into government, whether it be by salary or other means
The common thread running threw this whole Brexit thread has been the total dissolutionment with politicians generally, and it does not seem to be limited to which side of the arguement you are on, which political pursuasion or even whether it's Europe or UK
That's a pretty strong conclusion to come to,
What are we going to do about it
A difficult question, particularly since the politicians themselves have behaved so dishonourably over expenses claims etc. Currently one of them has come to the police notice a second time over expenses breaches, after previously serving a prison sentence for his previous fiddling. The question is, why was he even allowed back into politics?

Another instance, take Liam Fox, now appointed as Trade Secretary. He was forced to resign in disgrace as Defence Secretary in 2011 because he had invited his old mate Adam Werrity, a lobbyist, to international trips and to private Ministry of Defence meetings even though he had no official role in government and no security clearance.

It's not just the offences but the fact that their parliamentary cronies happily welcome them back in and promote them like this.

To change the system we first need their behaviour to change.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I like Boris,he did a good job as London Mayor
Really! That's news to me. In my view, Johnson is about as much use in politics as a chocolate fireguard. My choice for a Mayor with wit, intelligence and humour would be someone like Ian Hislop (if he could be a**sed) but the present incumbent seems like a decent chap and appeals broadly across the multi-national, multi-ethnic population of the capital.

It's a great shame Tony Banks passed away because he would have been perfect, in spite of his elevation to the upper chamber before he popped his clogs.

Tom

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Looks like the same old Toffs network is reasserting it's grip on power.
"
Climate change department killed off by Theresa May in 'plain stupid' and 'deeply worrying' move
Campaigners called for 'urgent reassurance from the new government' that the fight against climate change and pollution will not be 'abandoned'

The decision to abolish the Department for Energy and Climate Change has been variously condemned as “plain stupid”, “deeply worrying” and “terrible” by politicians, campaigners and experts.

One of Theresa May’s first acts as Prime Minister was to move responsibility for climate change to a new Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
And of course her rival gets the job with these credentials
"
New Environment Secretary backs fox hunting, selling off forests, and opposes climate change measures
Andrea Leadsom spoke out in favour of fox hunting as recently as this month"
Can't let the Environment get in the way of a profit now we don't have the EU to answer to can we?
Shame for the future of the Siemens investment in Hull to produce Wind turbines, as it looks we may not need them after all.
And the Icing on the cake? appointing Boris to any job above janitor.
Let's hope he is better at apologising than he is at insulting people.
And his first act? to make a speech about the need for "Ever closer union with France" outside the French Embassy and get booed for this stupid gaffe.
He was lucky they didn't turn violent!
What a way to set off towards a new future: make all the wrong appointments.
The goodness is obviously Flowing.
Nothing to worry about or see here
Move along.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldtom

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Brendan....if you were serious about making a success of Brexit would you put Boris as Foreign Secretary? Don't get me wrong I like Boris,he did a good job as London Mayor, but nobody could think of Boris as a diplomat.
David Davis is old,by the time this could be over,he will be in his 70's.
Don't know much about Liam Fox?
If you were serious about Brexit there must be a better trio you could put together.
Chatting here at work,we give him 6 months.
KudosDvae
You might be surprised, some people appreciate a sense of humour, likeability and straight talking, how about President Trump for instance:eek:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
And dear Boris Leader of the Brexit Campaign (or was he?)
"
Boris Johnson has said the result of the EU referendum must be respected - but that it did not mean leaving Europe "in any sense".

Speaking outside the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the former London mayor set out his vision for Britain to be a more “global player”.

He said: “I set out what I think that we need to be doing and what we need to be focusing on, and that is reshaping Britain's global profile and identity as a great global player.
“And on Europe clearly we have to give effect to the will of people in the referendum, but that does not mean in any sense, leaving Europe.

“There is a massive difference between leaving the EU and our relations with Europe, which if anything I think are going to be intensified and built up at an intergovernmental level.”
How do you imagine this is going to sound to the rank and file of the pro Brexit Voters?

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
The
Absoutely nothing, as far as the EU issue is concerned we could just walk out, though internally we should first cancel our European act.

Of course walking out is a breach of our agreement to the two year notice term which might be regarded as poor behaviour by other countries with whom we'd like to deal, but there's nothing the EU could realistically do legally.
Then that's what we should do, don't waste any time negotiating with EU, as they are unlikely to give us a dam thing until the last day of year 2 anyway,
Go hell for leather to get deal with US, China, India, and just go ahead and implement, no wait for end of 2 years
At the end of that EU will have bugger all option but to agree a deal with us
Remember the coal strike analogy, it's all about the exercise of power and advantage, and don't look desperate. Anyone buying from a street seller knows that

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The

Then that's what we should do, don't waste any time negotiating with EU, as they are unlikely to give us a dam thing until the last day of year 2 anyway,
Go hell for leather to get deal with US, China, India, and just go ahead and implement, no wait for end of 2 years
Remember the coal strike analogy, it's all about the exercise of power and advantage, and don't look desperate. Anyone buying from a street seller knows that
Actually it's much more likely they will simply ignore our existence and regard us as idiots.
This idea of us blackmailing them is just a Right wing wet dream

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The

It's certainly a positive strategy that might just pay off, but very risky of course. The main danger I see is our lack of bulk manufacturing nous and capacity, since we will need a large scale to fill our needs.

We have another weakness too as someone pointed out yesterday. Having done virtually no trade deal negotiation for the last 44 years, we just don't have the skilled negotiators and suitable lawyers available in the civil service. So whatever course we take, the government will now have to rapidly recruit those on a large scale from somewhere.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Actually it's much more likely they will simply ignore our existence and regard us as idiots.
This idea of us blackmailing them is just a Right wing wet dream
OG
All this confusing of negotiation with blackmail and extortion is just another example of your tendancy to see the worst in everything. well, whatever makes you happy but don't confuse that with truth or facts as you so dearly like to claim

Reactions: tillson

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
It's certainly a positive strategy that might just pay off, but very risky of course. The main danger I see is our lack of bulk manufacturing nous and capacity, since we will need a large scale to fill our needs.

We have another weakness too as someone pointed out yesterday. Having done virtually no trade deal negotiation for the last 44 years, we just don't have the skilled negotiators and suitable lawyers available in the civil service. So whatever course we take, the government will now have to rapidly recruit those on a large scale from somewhere.
Agreed, but we know we need these people anyway, so let's just get on it and cut there teeth on some friendly nations that are not bitter and twisted at the moment
On your manufacturing point, we will not correct the last 20 Years overnight that is for sure, but services on the other hand we know about, and trading we know about, and intellectual property we have in abundance
We are looking at a new paradigm , one in which we can free ourselves from negative thinking and adopt can do mentality, instead of under the Eu thumb, protectionism and slow pace of change through burdensome consensus and bureaucracy. Now I know the usual nay Sayers will have a field day with this post, my simple answer is those that don't try always achieve nothing. We have nothing to lose, we are all leavers now

• Agree

Advertisers