Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wonder who could take the lead role?
Yaxley-Lennon's first conviction was for violent assault against a policeman who was attempting to stop him from beating up his girlfriend.
Not for beating up his girlfriend? Shouldn't he have been done for both? (Maybe there was some reason but as it reads it appears to suggest that beating up girlfriends is not violent assault.)

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is from a well-known, left-of-centre website and is well-directed towards the millions, well thousands........ok hundreds dozens of nazi extremists who idolise the nasty piece of work who likes to be known as Tommy Robertson.

I'm sure even in these pages, there are some who admire this despicable creature, judging by some of the outlandish, right-wing views expressed and the failure by many to acknowledge the vicious murder of Jo Cox MP by another of that ilk.

'Just a quick reminder to supporters of Tommy Robinson (real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon).
Yaxley-Lennon's first conviction was for violent assault against a policeman who was attempting to stop him from beating up his girlfriend.
Yaxley-Lennon's most recent conviction was for deliberately jeopardising several linked court cases into child sex abuse gangs as a self-publicity stunt.
In between, Yaxley-Lennon has been convicted of mortgage fraud, contempt of court, more assault, and the use of a false passport and fake identity documents.
If you're idolising a violent serial criminal as some kind of folk hero simply because you agree with the bigoted extreme-right nonsense he spews, you need to give your head a wobble don't you?
And if you're a mainstream media journalist giving this violent lawless thug a platform because you think you'll get lots of clicks out of it, you should be utterly ashamed of yourself.'

Tom
Amazing that this low life has managed to sell himself to the Press as representing anything other than a simple violent clown, a talent for self Marketing surprising considering the limited intelligence available, but then that is the trade mark of Fascist cannon fodder after all.
This at least is interesting, one of the many names he goes by..
"Victoria Derbyshire introduced me, ‘now we have Wayne King’, "
That will make oldtom's day I suspect!:cool:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It's nearly 2 years and 2 months since the referendum and still, both the tory Cabinet and the tory crazies have no idea, no plan and no way out to secure a good 'Brexit' for the UK.
They’ve failed so it’s time to cancel the whole fiasco. After all it was just lies, electoral fraud and foreign interference anyway.

Mark Carney, the incumbent Governor of the Bank of England, whose appointment was sanctioned by Ca-moron's tory government although he was not British-born, a break from tradition, had this to say recently:

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is there any truth in the following? I know many of the product manufacturing bases have moved whilst we have been EU members, so how can people say that leaving will cost jobs? (All of below is a copy & paste from someone else words).

Cadbury moved factory to Poland 2011 with EU grant.
Ford Transit moved to Turkey 2013 with EU grant.
Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Dyson gone to Malaysia, with an EU loan.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
M&S manufacturing gone to far east with EU loan.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Gillette gone to eastern Europe with EU grant.
Texas Instruments Greenock gone to Germany with EU grant.
Indesit at Bodelwyddan Wales gone with EU grant.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
UK airports are owned by a Spanish company.
Scottish Power is owned by a Spanish company.
Most London buses are run by Spanish and German companies.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.
GKN. A great British business founded in 1759 with an ironworks foundry in South Wales. Recently acquired by assett stripper Melrose who are already planning to sell one of its most important divisions which may take its tech and know how to China.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,
1/ You haven't read the party manifesto of The European Peoples' Party.
2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
3/ You don't think it matters.
As others have already commented, it's a two way story, we've also greatly benefited. Just compare the stability of now with the decline into non-existence of both manufacturing and commerce up to 1972 when all our major industries disappeared. Remember the IMF had to take over the running of the UK then to prevent our bankruptcy. We rebuilt within the EU and the IMF haven't had to come in again, proof of the successful influence of the EU. Yes the EU is very far from perfect, but it's very much better than we were managing before and very much better than the present bunch of clueless incompetents running this country.

The EU backings of moves to elsewhere were part of a program to help the poorer regions and in most cases were selective, not moving the main business, just an affordable part of it. Where the main businesses moved it was usually the company itself the instigator, both chasing lower wages elsewhere and wanting to be nearer the core of their international market.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And this is not without taking collateral damage in that process, it has taken me five years to get over Radiation Proctitis resulting from that treatment.
Yes, seen that at first hand in my own family, but there's no threat of anyone suffering that from anything going into the Irish Sea from Sellafield.

This is what I'm objecting to, loosely connecting totally unrelated aspects of radiation as evidence of harm.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes, seen that at first hand in my own family, but there's no threat of anyone suffering that from anything going into the Irish Sea from Sellafield.

This is what I'm objecting to, loosely connecting totally unrelated aspects of radiation as evidence of harm.
there is still the accumulative effect even if the nuclear wastes are low level.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Is there any truth in the following? I know many of the product manufacturing bases have moved whilst we have been EU members, so how can people say that leaving will cost jobs? (All of below is a copy & paste from someone else words).

Jaguar Land Rover has recently agreed to build a new plant in Slovakia with EU grant, owned by Tata, the same company who have trashed our steel works and emptied the workers pension funds.
Peugeot closed its Ryton (was Rootes Group) plant and moved production to Slovakia with EU grant.
British Army's new Ajax fighting vehicles to be built in SPAIN using SWEDISH steel at the request of the EU to support jobs in Spain with EU grant, rather than Wales.
Crown Closures, Bournemouth (Was METAL BOX), gone to Poland with EU grant, once employed 1,200.
Hornby models gone. In fact all toys and models now gone from UK along with the patents all with with EU grants.
Sekisui Alveo said production at its Merthyr Tydfil Industrial Park foam plant will relocate production to Roermond in the Netherlands, with EU funding.
Hoover Merthyr factory moved out of UK to Czech Republic and the Far East by Italian company Candy with EU backing.
ICI integration into Holland’s AkzoNobel with EU bank loan and within days of the merger, several factories in the UK, were closed, eliminating 3,500 jobs
Boots sold to Italians Stefano Pessina who have based their HQ in Switzerland to avoid tax to the tune of £80 million a year, using an EU loan for the purchase.
JDS Uniphase run by two Dutch men, bought up companies in the UK with £20 million in EU 'regeneration' grants, created a pollution nightmare and just closed it all down leaving 1,200 out of work and an environmental clean-up paid for by the UK tax-payer. They also raided the pension fund and drained it dry.
The Hinkley Point C nuclear power station to be built by French company EDF, part owned by the French government, using cheap Chinese steel that has catastrophically failed in other nuclear installations. Now EDF say the costs will be double or more and it will be very late even if it does come online.
Swindon was once our producer of rail locomotives and rolling stock. Not any more, it's Bombardier in Derby and due to their losses in the aviation market, that could see the end of the British railways manufacturing altogether even though Bombardier had EU grants to keep Derby going which they diverted to their loss-making aviation side in Canada.
39% of British invention patents have been passed to foreign companies, many of them in the EU
The Mini cars that Cameron stood in front of as an example of British engineering, are built by BMW mostly in Holland and Austria. His campaign bus was made in Germany even though we have Plaxton, Optare, Bluebird, Dennis etc., in the UK. The bicycle for the Greens was made in the far east, not by Raleigh UK but then they are probably going to move to the Netherlands too as they have said recently.
GKN. A great British business founded in 1759 with an ironworks foundry in South Wales. Recently acquired by assett stripper Melrose who are already planning to sell one of its most important divisions which may take its tech and know how to China.

Anyone who thinks the EU is good for British industry or any other business simply hasn't paid attention to what has been systematically asset-stripped from the UK. Name me one major technology company still running in the UK, I used to contract out to many, then the work just dried up as they were sold off to companies from France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, etc., and now we don't even teach electronic technology for technicians any more, due to EU regulations.

I haven't detailed our non-existent fishing industry the EU paid to destroy, nor the farmers being paid NOT to produce food they could sell for more than they get paid to do nothing, don't even go there.
I haven't mentioned what it costs us to be asset-stripped like this, nor have I mentioned immigration, nor the risk to our security if control of our armed forces is passed to Brussels or Germany.

Find something that's gone the other way, I've looked and I just can't. If you think the EU is a good idea,
2/ You haven't had to deal with EU petty bureaucracy tearing your business down.
.. you are simply confusing cause and effect. The EU never directed any of those companies to up sticks and go to other places in Europe. That was the avarice of the stockholders and their boards of directors. What the EU did and do is make it more attractive for those companies,so inclined, to remain inside Europe, rather than setting up in Malaysia.
While you are on the topic, identify the "petty" rules which prevented companies setting up in the disadvantaged area of say Wales?.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not for beating up his girlfriend? Shouldn't he have been done for both? (Maybe there was some reason but as it reads it appears to suggest that beating up girlfriends is not violent assault.)
I don't know or care about this person, but I would speculate that it is easier to bring a conviction in the case of assult on a policeman. They generally make better witnesses, and are unlikely to withdraw the complaint, as often happens in domestic violence cases.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

I am somewhat puzzled by your responses to this thread,and it seems to lack your normal rigour and precision. .. The polluted water of the west Wales coast do pose a health hazard. The radio active residue enters the eco system and affects plants, fish and other animals ,in including mankind. .. the water born material does end up in sands, the sands do get blown into the air, the air carries these particles, they enter the lungs of sheep, cattle and humans.
In the case of both noth Leinster and south East NI , the radio active signaiture is confused by the residual Chernoblyl air born RA deposited in the Mournes and Cooley areas

Reactions: oyster and robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there is still the accumulative effect even if the nuclear wastes are low level.
But also offset by decay and we can only say it's harmful is there is evidence to support that. We already know that nuclear power for electricity production has a limited future so any possible harm from current practices can be calculated on a time basis.

Those who wish to claim harm should do that first and show the evidence.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am somewhat puzzled by your responses to this thread,and it seems to lack your normal rigour and precision. .. The polluted water of the west Wales coast do pose a health hazard. The radio active residue enters the eco system and affects plants, fish and other animals ,in including mankind. .. the water born material does end up in sands, the sands do get blown into the air, the air carries these particles, they enter the lungs of sheep, cattle and humans.
In the case of both noth Leinster and south East NI , the radio active signaiture is confused by the residual Chernoblyl air born RA deposited in the Mournes and Cooley areas
But none of that is evidence of harm, it's only evidence of presence, which is a very loose definition of health hazard, a supposition since there's no quantification.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Second response to show just how good for us the EU is:

UK GDP = £2.619 billions.

UK GNP = £0.512 billions

The difference between the two is what the mainly foreign companies who are here bring to us in being based here for EU access.

If we leave the EU we could lose most or all of that difference as they depart, leaving us with under one fifth of our present wealth.

We are told by Brexiters that we can get that from trading with the rest of the world. Strange that we weren't able to before 1972 and haven't been able to during membership, while others like Germany et al have been able to.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I don't know or care about this person, but I would speculate that it is easier to bring a conviction in the case of assult on a policeman. They generally make better witnesses, and are unlikely to withdraw the complaint, as often happens in domestic violence cases.
Yes - I wouldn't be surprised if she were very scared. I'd like to think that the original beating would automatically be included even if the girlfriend was unwilling to support a complaint or be a witness.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm pleased to see another EU country has taken punitive action against a woman wearing a veil to cover most of her face. The court's view on the matter was well-considered and much as I am committed to the notion of religious tolerance, I firmly believe that this practice, mostly by some members of the Muslim community, should be illegal and offenders punished until they either conform with the laws of the country in which they live or travel through or leave for a state that permits such a dress code.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45064237

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and tillson

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
on a lighter note, suppose we have a second referendum and remain won.
What would brexiters think of this?

QUOTE:

The morning after the referendum, we will immediately chuck out the pound and adopt the euro. Is this a good idea? Oh blah blah financial stuff blah. Boring!

As the Brexiters told us once the wheels of hard Brexit started to come off, Brexit was not actually about finances, but about identity. “I never said it would be a beneficial thing to leave [the EU], just that we would be self-governing,” Farage said in June on LBC radio. (It must have been a different Nigel Farage who, on 23 February 2016 tweeted, “British workers will be better off outside EU”.)

Hard remain is similarly ideologically driven, so the remainiacs will announce that Britain’s national language is now Belgian. After some belated Googling reveals there’s no such language, an addendum will clarify that Britain’s national language is now Flemish. Sure, it may not make sense financially, historically or practically; it may not even be possible. But that won’t stop the hard remainiacs shouting, “Saboteur!” at anyone who expresses a qualm.

Next, all chewing gum will be banned except for Hollywood, aka the world’s most disgusting chewing gum, but an essential part of the European experience, as anyone who ever went to mainland Europe as a teenager knows. Other new rules to be implemented will include: all hot chocolate must be drunk out of a bowl instead of a mug; Orangina is the only acceptable fizzy beverage; and only Nutella may be spread on toast, never, ever, ever peanut butter - bof! Though based on nostalgia, like hard Brexit, hard remain is inspired even more by its supporters’ memories of their school French exchanges 25 years ago.

But Brexit wasn’t just about the recent past – it was about a glorious historical past, even if that historical past was, in point of fact, horrible for the people who lived through it. So whereas in 2017 Farage posed solemnly in front of a poster for the movie Dunkirk, as though that film justified Brexit, in 2018 hard remainiacs will pose in front of whatever West End theatre is home to Les Misérables these days. Les Misérables recounts a glorious if bloody moment in France’s history, while the musical itself is France’s greatest cultural contribution. (Don’t @ me.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/commentisfree/2018/aug/04/flemish-hate-nutella-remainiac-britain-second-brexit-referendum

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I'm pleased to see another EU country has taken punitive action against a woman wearing a veil to cover most of her face. The court's view on the matter was well-considered and much as I am committed to the notion of religious tolerance, I firmly believe that this practice, mostly by some members of the Muslim community, should be illegal and offenders punished until they either conform with the laws of the country in which they live or travel through or leave for a state that permits such a dress code.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45064237

Tom
Kevin Bryant and Paul Golding will be so pleased with you.

Advertisers