Brexit, for once some facts.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
If the outcome of a second local referendum was independence, you wouldn't need a second Brexit referendum. You'd no doubt be remaining in the EU with the EU accepting that after a bit of hassle about the currency you'd use. The euro, the pound or a new one of your own.
We'd probably use the pound in the interim. I'd campaign for us to adopt the rouble. That would really annoy Mrs May. ;)

As to the EU. There were people up here campaigning for independence last time based on the fact that they wanted out of the EU and David Cameron had said that's what would happen if we left the UK.

As my old granny used to say, "there's nowt as queer as folk." :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You'd no doubt be remaining in the EU with the EU accepting that after a bit of hassle about the currency you'd use. The euro, the pound or a new one of your own.
In that scenario, Scotland would benefit to join the Eurozone.
A Scottish Pound can't defend itself against speculators like Soros vs the BoE.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We'd probably use the pound in the interim. I'd campaign for us to adopt the rouble. That would really annoy Mrs May. ;)
I agree with Woosh that your being in the eurozone would be the safest option and it would also give favoured status within the EU.

Showing England where it went wrong.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I reckon it's just a show for the public.
She will announce plan B at the end of the month at the Conservative Conference in Birmingham.
Then plan C in the third week of October.
That's the real plan for an eventual deal. It'll all depends if she can persuade the DUP to accept some fudging.
I believe it is an attempt to gain public support and blunt the claims of weakness from the ERG Boris and Gove

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Is JH any less mis-guided than BJ was?

'Don't mistake British politeness for weakness', Jeremy Hunt tells EU

The foreign secretary said EU leaders should not ‘insult the British people on social media’

Of course, because he said it on the radio, that doesn't count as "social media", so it's all right to insult their intelligence.

Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If the outcome of a second local referendum was independence, you wouldn't need a second Brexit referendum. You'd no doubt be remaining in the EU with the EU accepting that after a bit of hassle about the currency you'd use. The euro, the pound or a new one of your own.
Not sure about that - it would be a bit like Catalonia being allowed to become a member of the EU whilst divorcing from Spain. Which wouldn't go down very well...

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

'Don't mistake British politeness for weakness', Jeremy Hunt tells EU

The foreign secretary said EU leaders should not ‘insult the British people on social media’

Of course, because he said it on the radio, that doesn't count as "social media", so it's all right to insult their intelligence.
British politeness? That's a good one![emoji848]

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not sure about that - it would be a bit like Catalonia being allowed to become a member of the EU whilst divorcing from Spain. Which wouldn't go down very well...
If they Scotland had their referendum and it was one sanctioned by the Westminster parliament, and it occured prior to March 29 then presumably the status quo ante would apply and they would remain in the EU. The problem with Catalonia ,was that they were acting in defiance of their countries consitution.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The EU is still intent on growing, Macedonia shortly bringing them back to 28 countries after we leave. I think they'd be delighted to welcome Scotland as the ex UK country preferring the EU.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
If they Scotland had their referendum and it was one sanctioned by the Westminster parliament, and it occured prior to March 29 then presumably the status quo ante would apply and they would remain in the EU. The problem with Catalonia ,was that they were acting in defiance of their countries consitution.
Possibly. But I'm not convinced that it wouldn't be necessary for the secession also to have occurred by March 29.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
JH is possibly the most intelligent and educated minister in TM's cabinet at the moment. Politically, he has support from both both sides of the conservative party - a dark horse who is likely to replace TM like John Major replacing MT before him.
I can see Hunt and Gove as the next tory team.

Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The EU is still intent on growing, Macedonia shortly bringing them back to 28 countries after we leave. I think they'd be delighted to welcome Scotland as the ex UK country preferring the EU.
No, not under that name, possibly as the Republic of North Macedonia, Greece would not accept them.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, not under that name, possibly as the Republic of North Macedonia, Greece would not accept them.
Correct, it's officially going to be just North Macedonia which it seems Greece is happy with. Once in though I'm betting the rest of the EU and Europe will just say Macedonia whether the Greeks like it or not.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here's someone who expresses in Shakespeare's words much of what the Brexiters appear to feel about our joining the EU.

MP3 only 1 minute 40 seconds long, wait for the punchline!

http://www.flecc.co.uk/m/sir_john_gaunt.mp3
My goodness! I used that very quote long ago in this thread!(or did I?)and a more apt one would be hard to find

Here is the very post
"
From my point of view Corbyn has lost all credibility by not rejecting brexit altogether, and only a party that opposes it completely will get my vote.
It is quite simply the most dangerous foolishness this nation has faced in hundreds of years, a self inflicted wound.
There is no way it can be made acceptable or hold any hope for the future of this country, it is simply a fascist coup.
I have no time for collaborators.
In the words of John of gaunt
England that was wont to conquer others, hath made a conquest of itself.
Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

#6327 oldgroaner, Nov 6, 2016
Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

Thank goodness I found the post...for a moment there I wondered whether I had imagined me previous reference to it.
Perhaps I'm not so far in my dotage yet
(This is known around here as "pushing your luck"):D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
JH is possibly the most intelligent and educated minister in TM's cabinet at the moment. Politically, he has support from both both sides of the conservative party - a dark horse who is likely to replace TM like John Major replacing MT before him.
I can see Hunt and Gove as the next tory team.
The man is hardly a Role model, he reminds me of a character in the Goon Show
Grytpipe-Thynne

"
Grytpype-Thynne: Tell me, where are you taking that gold?
Seagoon: I had to think of a good excuse.
Grytpype-Thynne: You're stealing it, aren't you, Neddie?
Seagoon: Blast! Why didn't I think of that?
Grytpype-Thynne: We'll have to give you a week's notice.
Seagoon: Why? What have I done?
Grytpype-Thynne: Nothing, but we're having to cut down on staff. You see, there's been a robbery. Um, would you get that van started while I get my hat and coat?
Seagoon: You coming too?
Grytpype-Thynne: There's no point in staying. There's more money in the van than there is in the bank.

Just another Smooth Con man, and Gove would make a perfect Professor Moriarty as his side kick

Advertisers