Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
B) Had it not been for Uk convoys supplying Russia with arms and specifically American trucks she could never have played part in downfall of Nazi Germany she eventually did.
At best all that very limited help could have done was speed up the Russian success slightly.

C) Had it not been for stand Uk made, initially on her own, USA would never have entered war.
That "stand" you speak of was us losing World War Two. That's what Dunkirk meant. If the USA hadn't joined in we'd have been learning German not long afterwards.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At best all that very limited help could have done was speed up the Russian success slightly.

That "stand" you speak of was us losing World War Two. That's what Dunkirk meant. If the USA hadn't joined in we'd have been learning German not long afterwards.
And Russian subsequently!:D

Reactions: derf and flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I have noticed flud uses dislike where disagree would have been more appropriate.

• Dislike
Reactions: tillson and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have noticed flud uses dislike where disagree would have been more appropriate.
Perhaps in recognition that he's commenting on truth others post so is unable to disagree with facts.;)

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Perhaps in recognition that he's commenting on truth others post so is unable to disagree with facts.;)
What he needs in those cases would be an "inconvenient fact" button, rather like the "ignore" button he uses on my posts.

Reactions: robdon

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Derby based Bombardier has won a £1 Billion pound contract which gives some future job security for over 1000 people in the area.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Derby based Bombardier has won a £1 Billion pound contract which gives some future job security for over 1000 people in the area.
Yet another of these announcements magically timed to offset the Brexit bad news!

Once again though it's Britain buying for internal use from a foreign company, when at one time we built all our rolling stock ourselves. Just like the motor industry, we destroyed our own companies and then let others in to take over the industry.

How much more stupid can this be? We change from doing all the work and keeping all the profit into doing all the work and losing the profit.

• Agree
Reactions: derf and oldtom

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
we don't make things anymore but we still know how to 'manage'.
apparently we make good money in consultancy.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Well it's something even though any profit will go straight to Canada of course, however news of jobs saved is of course welcome.
And this is part of the £1.4 Billion Deal with Abellio a Danish Company that runs buses in London
So lets recap what is happening here.
We the Tax Payers are spending £1.4 Billion pounds to Foreigners to run trains from East Anglia to London, from which the economies of both Canada and Denmark will profit.
We provide the materials and labour.
What's not to like?
Except perhaps making the bloody trains and running them ourselves of course.

For a nation supposedly keen on "Taking back control" , "Sovereignty" and "protecting our borders"
We seem willing to let any outsider come in and take over our workforce and infrastructure to make them a profit, and kid the public this is good news?

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yet another of these announcements magically timed to offset the Brexit bad news!

Once again though it's Britain buying for internal use from a foreign company, when at one time we built all our rolling stock ourselves. Just like the motor industry, we destroyed our own companies and then let others in to take over the industry.

How much more stupid can this be? We change from doing all the work and keeping all the profit into doing all the work and losing the profit.
And then have to be grateful for crumbs off the foreign companies table..

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
we don't make things anymore but we still know how to 'manage'.
apparently we make good money in consultancy.
Know how to Manage?
Never in a Million years, we know how to pay top Executives handsomely when they fail spectacularly.
Considering the long term known proven and disastrous incompetence of British Management I am surprised that we can "Con" anyone as "Consultants"!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
then it must be the case of 'in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are kings'.
I wonder how the brexiteer ministers are doing at the moment.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wonder how the brexiteer ministers are doing at the moment.
Having doctors appointments for depression treatment I'd imagine.

We do know that any desire David Davis has for being in EFTA has just been rebuffed by Norway. And that's on top of the prospect of his department being kicked out of Whitehall, so not much to feel happy about. Info link.

Boris Johnson is probably in hiding while he tries to think of something amusing he can waffle about in the current situation to get back his popularity.

And Liam Fox is talking to NI ministers in Belfast about what chances they have to export anything more. Maybe already looking elsewhere after finding few prospects in England?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The MOD is currently buying defence equipment including new aircraft from the USA. I've just heard that the drop in the value of the pound will raise the costs of these ongoing purchases by £700 millions a year.

The Brexit mess grows ever larger.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: oldtom and trex

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

As much as I'd like to disagree, sadly I find myself recognising the truth in much of what you say.

I was at university with many engineers who worked at British Rail's technical centre in Derby. That place was full of talented engineers and they came up with some truly astonishing innovations. What went wrong?

But I suppose the news of job security is better than news of job loses.

• Agree
Reactions: trex

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was at university with many engineers who worked at British Rail's technical centre in Derby. That place was full of talented engineers and they came up with some truly astonishing innovations. What went wrong?
Yes it was Derby I had in in mind when I posted. I think what really went wrong was privatising the railways and getting rid of British Rail.

Today's privatised railways are doing a far worse job, one company so bad the government had to intervene, the entire rail infrastructure had to be brought back into public ownership and currently Southern Rail losing control so badly they've more than halved their services. And these companies cost us far more in taxpayer subsidies than British Rail ever would have done, estimated to be at least £1 billion a year more currently.

That's probably the combined profits their shareholders are receiving.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As much as I'd like to disagree, sadly I find myself recognising the truth in much of what you say.

But I suppose the news of job security is better than news of job loses.
Yes to the jobs being saved of course....

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes it was Derby I had in in mind when I posted. I think what really went wrong was privatising the railways and getting rid of British Rail.

Today's privatised railways are doing a far worse job, one company so bad the government had to intervene, the entire rail infrastructure had to be brought back into public ownership and currently Southern Rail losing control so badly they've more than halved their services. And these companies cost us far more in taxpayer subsidies than British Rail ever would have done, estimated to be at least £1 billion a year more currently.

That's probably the combined profits their shareholders are receiving.
Quite simply essential services such as the Steel and Aluminium Manufacture, Railways, Water, Gas and Electricity , and Waste Disposal are fundamental to the continued existence of our society and should never be in private hands subject to profiteering.

Advertisers