Brexit, for once some facts.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I agree, that is looking like the most likely outcome. I can't see Theresa May presenting anything which is going to win support in the HoC.
You're right. There is no way she has anything up her sleeve that the HOC will approve. So what's left? They won't allow a no-deal - so it's extend article 50. What a f***ing joke.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
There isn`t time left to put a Bill through all of its stages to that effect,

under Article 50 we either negotiate a withdrawal agreement or we LEAVE after two years. It couldn't be clearer
No but it can be extended. I tell you my friend that's what these f****ers are going to do. Like Farage said today in the Telegraph - Brexit is being destroyed right in front of our eyes.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
James, James,,,
a vote in the House means nothing, it has no legal effect
Same applies to a `Second Referendum`, you would have to have a Bill providing for a 2nd Ref, go through all of its stages, blah, blah, blah..

there are only 30something working days left to the 29th so there`s no time for Bills to pass

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
James, James,,,
Same applies to a `Second Referendum`, you would have to have a Bill providing for a 2nd Ref, go through all of its stages, blah, blah, blah..

there are only 30something working days left to the 29th so there`s no time for Bills to pass
All they have to do - from my understanding - is request an extension to A50 - and it's a done deal.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All they have to do - from my understanding - is request an extension to A50 - and it's a done deal.
JC will ask for a favour during the extension...and boom!

Reactions: robdon

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
If you`re still with us James.....

On 29 March 2017, the EU Commission stated "It is up to the United Kingdom to trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed. Notification is a point of no return. Article 50 does not provide for the unilateral withdrawal of notification."

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
If you`re still with us James.....

On 29 March 2017, the EU Commission stated "It is up to the United Kingdom to trigger Article 50. But once triggered, it cannot be unilaterally reversed. Notification is a point of no return. Article 50 does not provide for the unilateral withdrawal of notification."
That's been changed. Just before Xmas the EU stated that we COULD unilaterally extend article 50 - it was all over the news.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's been changed. Just before Xmas the EU stated that we COULD unilaterally extend article 50 - it was all over the news.
no, that's not correct. We need an extension which has to be agreed by all 27 member states of the EU27 but we can withdrawl A50 unilaterally at any time.

Imagine TM asks Juncker and Tusk to extend A50.
TM concedes a new GE in April.
GE in May.
JC does not win enough seats so he forms a coalition with the SNP and LibDems.
Guess what, the SNP and LibDems then ask JC to withdraw A50.

Impossible scenario?

• Agree

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
James, no motion in parliament can ever overturn the law,

only statute can overturn statute

View attachment 28624

Parliament voted for a law made through a structured process that makes us leave on the 29th
You are fully correct and I am also. It is currently the situation that nothing is in place to stop the UK leaving as scheduled on March 29 midnight. However the UK can stop this process. Again it must be a structured process.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
James, James,,,
As OJ says, the ECJ ruled that we can apply for an extension. No bill is necessary since it's not a cancellation, article 50 can be extended beyond the 29th March. President of the EU CommissionJean Claude Juncker has acknowledged that.

We can even revoke article 50 at any time during the two year extension.

Here's a link giving all that detail

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc if that ever happens it`s just can-kicking
Indeed, it will just be playing for time to arrive at a next step. Since no-one wants No Deal, eventually all concerned will get fed up enough to agree on something so that the trade talks can begin.

It remains in question whether that will result in a true Brexit or Brino. There'll be many more rows over the trade talk agreements and how much they will cost us.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It remains in question whether that will result in a true Brexit or Brino. There'll be many more rows over the trade talk agreements and how much they will cost us.
I reckon the least cost solution will prevail because there is little mileage in negotiating our own deals compared to collective bargaining with the EU27.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers