Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Irrelevent, there's a first for everything and she is clearly guilty of an offence under the terrrorism act on her own evidence.

Regardless of the minutiae and the bleeding hearts on this subject, I believe we'd be idiots to accept her back and show still more weakness to these Islamic extremists. They only deserve the level of compassion they show to others, which is none whatsover.
That's a sweeping statement. I don't like IS anymore than any of you, but as an ideology it must represent a spectrum of views, like any other. The degree to which she actually aligned herself with it - and its most uncompassionate elements need to be established on the basis of evidence in a court of law. I have a 17 year old child, if I took everything she said as verbatim evidence of her intent and actual behaviour we'd not get along at all

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It is actually a serious question. Courts need evidence, otherwise they are kangaroo courts.
True, but if the Home Secretary doesn't allow her return, and he's said her return is by no means certain, she won't get to a court.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
True, but if the Home Secretary doesn't allow her return, and he's said her return is by no means certain, she won't get to a court.
he can only issue a TEO if he can justify she is a public danger, not on what the tabloids say.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That's a sweeping statement. I don't like IS anymore than any of you, but as an ideology it must represent a spectrum of views, like any other. The degree to which she actually aligned herself with it - and its most uncompassionate elements need to be established on the basis of evidence in a court of law. I have a 17 year old child, if I took everything she said as verbatim evidence of her intent and actual behaviour we'd not get along at all
I would agree with Johnathan, the measure of civilisation and tolerance in a society,is not how we treat our friends ,but how we treat the "others". We make claims that in the West ,we are liberal democracies, and follow the rule of law

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Back to Brexit related matters. It may have escaped your notice that flybmi ,a relatively small airline servicing regional nodes, has just filed for administration. For people commuting between cities this is a blow,as their flights stop tomorrow.
Whether they would have survived in a benign Brexit , is perhaps arguable, but they have listed Brexit uncertainty as a contributory factor.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Back to Brexit related matters. It may have escaped your notice that flybmi ,a relatively small airline servicing regional nodes, has just filed for administration. For people commuting between cities this is a blow,as their flights stop tomorrow.
Whether they would have survived in a benign Brexit , is perhaps arguable, but they have listed Brexit uncertainty as a contributory factor.

They were running at a deficit for years. Lack of business.

There has been a glut of small airlines closing all over Europe in the last year or so.

But yeah.

Brexit

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
That airline has been on borrowed time for years and well before the term Brexit was even coined. They were British Midland International, but were late joining the budget airline market with BMI Baby, which failed. I think the were bought out then and rebranded FlyBMI. They have been heading towards the inevitable collapse ever since.

It’s a shame because British Midland International was a classy airline and good to travel with. Their flights were always more expensive than Ryanair, Easy Jet and the other budget operators, but it was worth paying the extra to escape the constant pestering from the cabin crew to buy scratch cards & aftershave. The higher cost also tended to filter out the passengers you’d rather not have on board. They tried dumbing it down with BMI Baby, but it didn’t work, their roots were established in quality. A great shame.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and tommie

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That airline has been on borrowed time for years and well before the term Brexit was even coined. They were British Midland International, but were late joining the budget airline market with BMI Baby, which failed. I think the were bought out then and rebranded FlyBMI. They have been heading towards the inevitable collapse ever since.

It’s a shame because British Midland International was a classy airline and good to travel with. Their flights were always more expensive than Ryanair, Easy Jet and the other budget operators, but it was worth paying the extra to escape the constant pestering from the cabin crew to buy scratch cards & aftershave. The higher cost also tended to filter out the passengers you’d rather not have on board. They tried dumbing it down with BMI Baby, but it didn’t work, their roots were established in quality. A great shame.
Yep , agreed. We used to use them to get to Perpignan. Was way more civilised than Ryanair to Girona but money talks... Shame... But then so was Ryanair pulling out of Girona... At one point Girona was almost hub of Ryanair operations but I believe he had some disagreement with Airport Authorities there... Another shame... Along with demise of Frog Bus in area really made travel to that region (Midi Pyrenees, Languedoc Roussilon) so much more difficult. All pre Brexit.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I hear that Shamima Begum is with child. Not the best start in life for the baby, but let’s hope that it is soon separated from the mother and given a chance in life.

Begum is reported on the BBC news website as saying that people should have sympathy for her. How queer.

The lawyers seem to have sensed there might be a dirty cash payday in this for them too. Begum is now saying she didn’t know what she was doing when she went to Syria. Really? She must have mistakenly joined IS, and had a baby with a fighter, and then had another baby, and then had yet another, and saw some severed heads in a dustbin which didn’t really bother her, and then wanted to return to the uk when it all went wrong. It sounds like the lawyers are are feeding her the correct lines, which is pretty routine fodder in cases like this.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie and gray198

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I hear that Shamima Begum is with child. Not the best start in life for the baby, but let’s hope that it is soon separated from the mother and given a chance in life.

Begum is reported on the BBC news website as saying that people should have sympathy for her. How queer.

The lawyers seem to have sensed there might be a dirty cash payday in this for them too. Begum is now saying she didn’t know what she was doing when she went to Syria. Really? She must have mistakenly joined IS, and had a baby with a fighter, and then had another baby, and then had yet another, and saw some severed heads in a dustbin which didn’t really bother her, and then wanted to return to the uk when it all went wrong. It sounds like the lawyers are are feeding her the correct lines, which is pretty routine fodder in cases like this.
She was a 15 year old CHILD when she left. At least Zathlan can accept that there was grooming involved.

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Tenuous.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
She was a 15 year old CHILD when she left. At least Zathlan can accept that there was grooming involved.
When she left the U.K., she was old enough to be responsible for criminal acts. She has also been an adult for some time now, but only wanted to return to the U.K. once her initial plans had failed.

There may well have been grooming involved in the initial stages, in fact that is more likely than not. The problem is that she is now a menace. A person who is unmoved and has total emotional detachment from the horrors of seeing bins full of severed heads can’t be risked amongst the public. In her own words, she stated that ghastly spectre of heads in bins did not phase her.

I’m afraid she should remain and be abandoned where she is. The child must repatriated in secret to and placed in appropriate care, again in secret.

No need for the use of block capitals.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and tommie

Advertisers