Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

1. Brexitshambles added,

0:39

Our Future, Our ChoiceVerified account @OFOCBrexit

WOW!! Michael Gove, who ran the Leave campaign, says a No-Deal Brexit was NEVER the plan and that it would make YOUR life harder! #Marr

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What did they do with the "Don't Knows"?
in that graph, the don't knows were discarded.
Current score: 54/45 to remain.
the more people find out the escalating cost of brexit, the more voting intention margin increases to remain and the hard brexiters want to avoid extending A50 at any cost.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I try not to comment much about the behaviour of British politicians,but The delaying of having a vote or a" meaningful vote ", is so bizzare. That it defies any form of logic. Why would one vote be more meaningful than another?. What happens if the day after the meaningful vote ,a contradictory meaningful vote is held?.
It is contempt of parliament.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I try not to comment much about the behaviour of British politicians,but The delaying of having a vote or a" meaningful vote ", is so bizzare. That it defies any form of logic. Why would one vote be more meaningful than another?. What happens if the day after the meaningful vote ,a contradictory meaningful vote is held?.
What I think it means is they are menacing to do something meaningful for the first time in quite a while. They wait a bit to see how the general public reacts and depending on reaction will have a meaningful vote or just go back to being meaningless.

Well that' my take on it anyway...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What I think it means is they are menacing to do something meaningful for the first time in quite a while. They wait a bit to see how the general public reacts and depending on reaction will have a meaningful vote or just go back to being meaningless.

Well that' my take on it anyway...
we usually find things meaningful that agree with us (i mean, take this thread). i though a meaningful vote would be one that endorses TM's plan. that would be meaningful for her and in a brino sense i guess a meaningful fudge for many (if not most) other victims of this fiasco ( i wouldn't find it meaningful, but heyho)

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's not bizarre.
Her problem is to avoid splitting her party.
Her Chief Whip and her husband both told her the same thing: unless she gets support from the ERG, her party is split for good.
if her party is split, she loses her job instantly.
The country comes second in her calculations.
May is fundamentally different from JC.
She wants power.
It's time for another motion of no confidence in the PM.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Relax of course there won't be any problems with medicines supplies in case of brexit.

Just remember as you read the main article lower down, that there is an urgent court case being heard about the very DFDS and Brittany Ferries (and former Seaborne) contracts which all the assurances are based upon.

The transport secretary is being sued by Eurotunnel over the allegedly unlawful award of a government contract to Seaborne Freight, a company with no ships, and two other ferry companies, in a case due to start on Friday.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/25/grayling-accused-of-trying-to-hold-brexit-ferry-trial-in-private

Hub in Belgium to keep NHS supplied in event of no-deal Brexit
Drugs and other medical supplies to be shipped over on seven new ferry routes

The government has created a “logistics hub” in Belgium where vital medical supplies will be stockpiled to stop the NHS running short of equipment if there is a no-deal Brexit.
Stents, implants and other products needed to ensure that patient care is not disrupted will be stored there, at an undisclosed location.

The Department of Health and Social Care has also arranged to get NHS supplies – including drugs – into Britain using seven new ferry routes, to bypass the chaos that is widely expected in and around Dover in the event of no deal.

The Department for Transport has agreed to pay two companies, Brittany Ferries and the Danish firm DFDS, £88.8m to transport products from the hub across the Channel over the next six months. Suppliers, including pharmaceutical companies, which will store their products elsewhere, will be given priority access to the ferries.

The shortest route, Cherbourg in France to Poole in Dorset, will take four and a half hours while the longest, from Cuxhaven in Germany to Immingham in Lincolnshire, will be 16 hours.

The other routes will be Le Havre to Portsmouth, Roscoff to Plymouth, Caen to Plymouth, Vlaardingen in the Netherlands to Immingham and Vlaardingen to Felixstowe.

The hub will act as a warehouse for the wide range of supplies that hospitals, GP clinics and pharmacies will need in the event of a no-deal exit.

In a written ministerial statement on Tuesday Stephen Hammond, the health minister, sought to reassure MPs that the in-depth nature of government planning should mean medical supplies would not be not affected even if a no-deal scenario did unfold.

The extensive preparations also include extra warehouse capacity in Britain to store medical supplies, drug firms stockpiling an extra six weeks of products and daily flights from Maastricht in the Netherlands to Birmingham to bring in items that the NHS needs.
Hammond said: “While we never give guarantees, we are confident that if everyone – including suppliers, freight companies, international partners and the health and care system – does what they need to do, the supply of medicines and medical products should be uninterrupted in the event of exiting the EU without a deal.

“There is cross-government agreement that all medicines and medical products will be prioritised on these alternative routes to ensure the flow of all these products may continue unimpeded.”

However, the minister raised the possibility that some of the 500 over-the-counter medicines that come into the UK from the EU may become hard to obtain if there is no deal.
“For general sales list medicines, also known as over-the-counter products, 500 of which have an EU touchpoint, we have worked with NHS England to identify which are important for the management of specific health conditions, and are working with suppliers to assure contingency plans for those products,” he said.

Rest of article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/25/hub-in-belgium-to-keep-nhs-supplied-in-event-of-no-deal-brexit

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
It is going to need something much more fundametal to happen before there is a further Referendum.
There would have to be a major collapse within the Conservative ranks to change the balance of power to favour the opposition.

Nonsense.

This is what is going to happen. Mays deal is worse than no deal. Everyone with a brain can see this.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"Meaningful means meaningful" you can quote me on that one. Don't know what it means but it sounds serious!
"May the Brino be with you" will be the next one followed by Gove insisting that "No Deal" means we remain in EU Membership.
Some folk apparently believe that already!

• Agree

Advertisers