Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Just announced that Theresa May's first move will be to repeal the 1972 European Communities Act,which would suggest that she has given up on the Royal Prerogative to trigger Article 50 and is having to turn to a vote in Parliament.
But even using the whip will she have enough MPs to vote to repeal the 1972 ECA ,she cannot rely on her own party there are still a lot of Tories who are still devout remainers....she will need support from Labour,but the Labour Party announced at conference that they want a general election after the form of Brexit is decided.
It is said there are 450 Remainers in Parliament.
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Express this morning
"It means on the day of Brexit all European laws will be simultaneously converted into domestic law, which MPs can then amend, repeal or improve after appropriate parliamentary debate and scrutiny. "

An interesting way to "Take back Control" simply call the EU laws something else then spend the next 42 years changing them one by one?

Actually this achieves nothing except perhaps to convince the Brexit fans that something is happening and for the Government to launch a "you're working rights are safe with us" inititiative, which while as unlikely as Hell Freezing over, is will be clutched as a proof by Brexit voters that all is well.
This will be an interesting test as to just how much "The will of the people" has cowed the MP's

My suspicion is that it will sail through as they are a gutless lot, and more fearful of being "unelectable"
That doing the right thing for the country.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the great repeal bill introduced this early is clearly an attempt to sidestep possible parliament opposition to the direction of brexit. It should be voted down.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mrs May has confidently announced that we will trigger Article 50 by the end of March next year. Excellent!.....except it has this air of déjà vu about it and history has a habit of repeating itself.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made,
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Mrs May has confidently announced that we will trigger Article 50 by the end of March next year. Excellent!.....except it has this air of déjà vu about it and history has a habit of repeating itself.

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honour the charge they made,
Honour the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Tom
No Tom, this is more akin to a line from the Goon Show, where Grippipe Thynne offers Neddy Seagoon a Bribe.
"Here's a photograph of a Shilling, lad,
And there's more where that came from!"

Reactions: oldtom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It makes the legal challenge to May using the Royal Prerogative now unnecessary ,effectively those committing the legal challenge have got what they want,a vote in Parliament.
It gives Theresa May the winter to try to negotiate a deal with the EU which will satisfy parliament sufficient to win the vote on the Great Repeal Act.
I don't think she can trigger Article 50 unless she is sure that she will win the vote on the repeal act.
It's clever by May to keep the Leavers happy but in reality nothing has changed,it doesn't say the form that our future with the EU will take and on that will depend how parliament votes....I doubt she will get hard Brexit through parliament.....as always the devil is in the detail.
I am amused that Leavers on other forums have taken this statement as a done deal,it does again suggest that Leavers are easily persuaded but if anything it only focuses on the first of many obstacles to Brexit that May has to overcome,it's political showboating but will keep some happy for a little while.
If she cannot get this repeal act through parliament that is effectively the end of Brexit.
KudosDave

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
If she cannot get this repeal act through parliament that is effectively the end of Brexit.
I agree entirely Dave. That will be crux time; the litmus test of the whole issue and the point where elected parliamentarians determine the way forward for the country, rather than the media and Farage, unelected to parliament, banking the nation's future on a freak referendum result.

It rather looks to me that May is simply hoping for the best fudge possible and she is praying that she manages to hold on to her office, any flak being directed towards the pillocks she appointed to lead the 'Brexit' campaign forward, not that there has yet been any sign of progress on that front.

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I decided to give the "mods" of the Daily Mail some work
"
So getting back our sovereignty consists of renaming all the allegedly hated EU laws "British laws" to be picked apart sometime or never?
And you can trust the Tory party over your rights? and waste years of work nd expense picking their way through the EU laws?
Congratulations Mrs May, you have made a complete fool of all who voted Brexit!"

Amazingly it got through!

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I decided to give the "mods" of the Daily Mail some work
"
So getting back our sovereignty consists of renaming all the allegedly hated EU laws "British laws" to be picked apart sometime or never?
And you can trust the Tory party over your rights? and waste years of work nd expense picking their way through the EU laws?
Congratulations Mrs May, you have made a complete fool of all who voted Brexit!"

Amazingly it got through!
But then mysteriously disappeared, strange that? (like hell!)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Another sign the Brexit voters will carefully ignore, May is sticking to the line the Government will decide how many people are allowed in, I wonder how they will react when no change in the numbers becomes obvious?
After all she can set the number higher if she wants and there's nothing the Brexit voters can do about it, is there?
Thanks to cuts made by May the Home Office cannot handle the present situation, and no one seems to be asking where will the extra money come from to enforce the following
  • Immigration control with the huge database expense involved
  • Control of our borders expanding the Border Patrols and Coasguard
  • revising the EU laws, now there are jobs for life there in the legal profession!
  • Negotiating Trade Deals. how many and how many bribes to be paid out?
Perhaps her best bet would be to ask for a loan from the EU?

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good old Boris!
At the Tory Party Conference
"
All Boris Johnson had to do was not do something stupid like call Africa a country. He failed"

As dear old Father used to say to me
"Nothing is foolproof to the talented Fool!"
And in the Express they were going on about the "Great repeal Bill" so my helpful readers comment was as follows

"Just a small point:All the EU laws that apply to us were agreed between the EU and our Government, none of them imposed on us, so come the Brexit day they will be rubber stamped as GB laws.
Apart from one of two that profit the rich, do you really trust the Tory party to do all that work to change the rest?"
The biblical quote of course applies here
"And some fell upon stony ground and did not prosper"

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
May is veering toward hard brexit, the world reacts by dropping the value of the Pound from $1.29 to $1.28. We've lost 20c in a £, 13%, in just over 3 months.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
May is veering toward hard brexit, the world reacts by dropping the value of the Pound from $1.29 to $1.28. We've lost 20c in a £, 13%, in just over 3 months.
was listening to bbc world, listening to an interview with a "lady" who voted UKIP, who repeated, as if it's a mantra, that "there is still too many of them" (meaning immigrants) as the BBC interviewer asked how she felt now about voting brexit given the fallout since the referendum. I can't really say on this forum what I thought of her, others like her or their intellect. The only pragmatic thing I can say is that while many voters in the UK have her level of awareness and understanding, the future will be very bleak.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I hold similar views about brexit. However, I think May is doing the right thing, although that depresses the value of my savings. When I watch on TV how hard the fruit pickers work here, in the UK, I can't stop feeling that they are exploited and made to work so hard, in the kind of jobs that the locals would not want to do. There is no way you can stop this kind of exploitations within the EU for at least 20 more years, waiting for wages in their countries to rise. By then, the UK may have rejoined. There are other examples but I'll pass.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I hold similar views about brexit. However, I think May is doing the right thing, although that depresses the value of my savings. When I watch on TV how hard the fruit pickers work here, in the UK, I can't stop feeling that they are exploited and made to work so hard, in the kind of jobs that the locals would not want to do. There is no way you can stop this kind of exploitations within the EU for at least 20 more years, waiting for wages in their countries to rise. By then, the UK may have rejoined. There are other examples but I'll pass.
Trex,but the fruit pickers are not slaves,they obviously find the work ok relative to the wages,certainly better than back in their own country.
Was in London yesterday what a dynamic and diverse capital we have,I love London and am proud of it.Having a meal with friends of my son from many EU countries,all articulate and hard working people from Spain,Portugal,Italy and Romania...just cannot understand why we would want to exclude such lovely people from our country....actually at the moment they are loving Brexit because they are all paid in Euros and the weakness of the pound is good for them,its the poor Brits who are suffering when they want to travel abroad.
Still,I suppose its all worth it,hehe!!!!
KudosDave

Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I wouldn't go as far as saying it's worth it! brexit is a stupid move but we are where we are, the big losers at the moment are people with large cash savings. In a way, I much prefer a quick, clean brexit than 2 years of haggling.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
an initer
an honest answer is that I love cosmopolitan environments. old parts of towns with coffee shops of many origins, cultures. the ability to eat samosas, drink illy, hear different music, languages, observe different customs. how can I put it, I even like waking up in Istanbul to muezzin's chanting (and I have distinctly un-islamic views of the world). the idea of living in the fantasy of an allegedly mono-cultural UK that's a throwback to the 1950's with a predominantly white population who sqeak the queens English nasally fill me with a special kind of dread. I like immigration, lots and lots, quite apart from the way London's growth as the area of highest immigration in the uk suggests it can be good thing.

D

Deleted member 18370

Seems we are not alone in the UK at being immensely stupid. Columbia has voted to continue the war against FARC.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and trex

Advertisers