Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Without a doubt the cheapest and most effective way to move heavy materials and container goods across the world is by rail
The Chinese are pioneering a route across to the capitals of Europe that will cut the journey time from weeks to days for goods and consequently the costs
No other form of transport can compete with this.
Ironically just when moves like this are transforming trade in both directions, we are deliberately cutting ourselves off from the continent.
Stupid move
Totally agree. If you are moving bulk items from a specific point to another, perfect. Coal to power stations.. Etc etc But once people are involved with different starting points and varying destinations the train is always a compromise. It usually involves 6 journeys. One to station, one to near destination, then the destination all repeated to come back. And thats assuming direct journey.
Amazes me how many people champion rail journeys but last time they used a train was on Flying Scotsman or in OG's case Stephensons Rocket.
For efficient public transport train is not viable. Our network and fiasco proves it.
Yes, people might want an efficient rail system but if so they must pay for it. Either in ticket prices or via taxes and subsidy. Expecting rail to be both cost efficient (profitable) and time efficient for travellers really is pie in the sky. A modern dependable, useable for all profitable system can simply not exist. It must be paid for. There is a high price to pay for a good system and why should not train users subsidise those wishing or capable of utilising system.
Danidl summed it up when he told his he could travel accross northern spain in luxury, quickly for 50p or something. Who is really paying.? Not Danidl.
And the system hasnt brought radical changes to area. Youth unemployment still highest in Europe. Personally, I, d take E9 every time.Pay the tolls and travel to where I want to go. Not some station 40 miles away from beach.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

OT but Mazda new SkyActive engine promises performance of petrol with economy of diesel. Its a compression ignition/spark plug controlled petrol engine?? (new to me that one)
Sounds interesting... And folk want to travel by bus, train, bus and back again... I dont think so.
Get one in an MX5 and I, ll order it tonight.
IMG_20190605_213019.jpg
They also do some silly one with a battery.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Its a compression ignition/spark plug controlled petrol engine?? (new to me that one)
The spark plug enables a precise ignition timing point with a lower diesel compression ratio for smoother running. The compression ratio is probably low at around 14 to 1 or even 13 to 1, ratios which would give an imprecise ignition point on compression only ignition.

Very long ago Mercedes got near to this with the engine they designed for the first modern generation AUDI car, the model 100. It launched with an insanely high for a petrol engine 13 to 1 compression ratio, close to compression self ignition point, on petrol!

AUDI engineers later changed it though, by stages eventually all the way down to under 9 to 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50Hertz

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
The spark plug enables a precise ignition timing point with a lower diesel compression ratio for smoother running. The compression ratio is probably low at around 14 to 1 or even 13 to 1, ratios which would give an imprecise ignition point on compression only ignition.

Very long ago Mercedes got near to this with the engine they designed for the first AUDI car ever, the model 100. It launched with an insanely high for a petrol engine 13 to 1 compression ratio, close to compression self ignition point, on petrol!

AUDI engineers soon changed it though, by stages eventually all the way down to under 9 to 1.

I've always thought Mercedes were designing in a "spoiler", resentful at the German government ordering them to design the engine for what was to be a rival brand.
So when is it compression ignition.
One of issues with compression ignition petrol is fact at anything other than full throttle the actual CR is well below theoretical and consequently too low to ignite, but if you raise it sufficiently to get around that at full throttle ignition is way too advanced. (severe pinking and engine actually firesbacjwards)
Only way around this is open throttle control as in diesel engines. (its one of reasons diesel are more efficient, ie more constant CR and less pumping losses)
Petrol engines have been available with open throttle control(I think TFSI is) but what I dont get is how Mazda can claim compression ignition but still with spark plug control. Surely its one or other. Once ignition occurs (either through spark or compression) a later spark is redundant. (Alfa have used twin spark, but they spark simultaneously producing bigger flame front)
The bit I dont get is spark plug controlled compression ignition? Its almost mutually exclusive???
The current sky active engines are running CRs bordering on compression ignition. (I, ve seen tuned engines continue running when throttle stuck wide open with HT leads pulled off, was a common occurunce on racing karts)
I, d like to see process and system involved in when engine is compression ignition and when its spark ignition??? Or how you control compression ignition with a spark plug. (on a diesel ignition timing is altered by delaying fuel injection, on modern ones anyhow) Wonder if they are doing similar but with petrol. But that would be called injection controlled ignition???
I also wonder if they are using massive EGR to increase ignition temperature when required.?? All clever stuff.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bit I dont get is spark plug controlled compression ignition? Its almost mutually exclusive???
It looks that way, but it's the timing of the ignition point. Diesel compression ratios are usually in the 15 to 20 to 1 range, but for smoother running lower than 15 is better. Trouble is then the precise point of the self ignition becomes unreliable, subject to minute retard variation. The spark gives it a precisely timed point just as it is about to ignite anyway. That gives maximum smoothness, mimicking petrol.

In practice it may disappear after a while, possibly mainly a marketing gimmick.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Worth watching flecc.
In theory... If I understand it... The CR is such that compression ignition is at point of happening... Then at exactly correct timing a spark occurs, which under normal circumstances would produce flame front travelling accross combustion chamber, but in this case the extra pressure provided by local burning around spark pushes pressure for rest of mixture above ignition point, producing multiple ignition points and correspondingly faster burning. (and hence more pressure as piston not travelled so far)
They are making use of pinking.. encouraging it.. and helping it with high CR?? In a way its more building an engine that copes with compression ignition.. Not really what it says on tin.?
Just had a think..
If that process is going on in that engine whats to say exactly same thing isnt happening on any petrol engine. As flame front propegates through chamber, pressure will rise above compression ignition point before flame front fully through chamber, so every engine will do it to some extent.???
Personally think flame front will travel quicker than rise in pressure, pressure will be localised. Thinks its a gimmick. Nobody can disprove claim and its a great engine anyway.???
Its not really compression ignition. Its more probably compression ignition for some of as yet unburnt fuel/air.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Confidence in the Mail and Daily Express this morning
"
Brexit Party on BRINK OF HISTORY: Farage set for sensational Peterborough by-election win
NIGEL FARAGE’s Brexit Party is on the brink of making history tonight with another sensational election victory that would secure its first ever MP.

Where 61 percent of voters opted to quit the EU in the 2016 referendum.

Then much further down in the article this appears
"

According to a YouGov survey carried out for The Times, despite the impressive results from the Brexit Party during the European elections, the Liberal Democrats would win if a general election were held.

The poll was published on May 31 and showed that 24 percent would back the Liberal Democrats, with Brexit Party coming second with 22 percent.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019

The highest taxes we’ve ever had in peacetime.
Sympathy strikes with any workers – anywhere in the world.
Politicians in charge of our water and energy.
These aren’t jokes. These are things that Jeremy Corbyn and his pals have actually admitted they want to do.

So let’s make sure he never gets the chance.

Chip in to our campaigns – and we’ll keep Corbyn out of power.
We don’t know everything that Corbyn wants to do. But we know some of it. And it’s no joke.

When Corbyn was writing his manifesto, he came up with ONE THOUSAND BILLION pounds of extra borrowing and taxes.

And that’s going to come from you.

With higher income tax. Higher fuel duty. Higher corporation tax. Higher debt.

So he’d take our economy back to square one. Just like the last time Labour were in power.

Let’s keep Corbyn and his dangerous ideas out of power.
Yours sincerely,​
Brandon Lewis
Conservative Party Chairman​
register email opened

It’s looking like Armageddon is approaching.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
From the Beeb:

Conservative leadership contender Michael Gove has said he regards the UK's 31 October Brexit deadline as "arbitrary" and is "not wedded" to it.
He told an event in London the UK must not be bound by a "fixed" date if it needs slightly more time to get a deal.

Now then everybody, what has Michael forgotten?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
It’s looking likely that very bad news is looming for about 1700 workers at Ford in Bridgend. I imagine that the catalysts for the job loses are falling car sales and the phasing out of the Jaguar/ Land Rover engine.

However, if you were Ford, would you make a hefty investment into a country which is planning to isolate itself from the entire EU market? I don’t think we will be seeing Ford doing anything to save this plant from closure by investing in the next generation of vehicle power / traction units. It would make no sense.

I hope those workers who voted for Brexit have made the necessary financial plans to protect themselves from the catastrophe of job losses which is unfolding. For example, paid of their mortgage, cleared the debt on their plastic and settled the balance on their car loan. Oh, and built up some savings. If they didn’t, they can’t afford Brexit and should not have bought it.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Busy days ahead according to the FT
https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372b-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6
After Brexit: the UK will need to renegotiate at least 759 treaties

Should be a pushover. look at the dazzling number we have secured so far!
Japan unfortunately is a no no.
But hey! there's not hurry is there? 10 down and only 749 to go!

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Busy days ahead according to the FT
https://www.ft.com/content/f1435a8e-372b-11e7-bce4-9023f8c0fd2e?segmentid=acee4131-99c2-09d3-a635-873e61754ec6
After Brexit: the UK will need to renegotiate at least 759 treaties

Should be a pushover. look at the dazzling number we have secured so far!
Japan unfortunately is a no no.
But hey! there's not hurry is there? 10 down and only 749 to go!
Which is what is so ridiculous about hearing vox pops "I'm sick of it", "Just get it over", "Once we're out we can ... <fill in your own remembered fragment>".

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

The highest taxes we’ve ever had in peacetime.
Sympathy strikes with any workers – anywhere in the world.
Politicians in charge of our water and energy.
These aren’t jokes. These are things that Jeremy Corbyn and his pals have actually admitted they want to do.

So let’s make sure he never gets the chance.

Chip in to our campaigns – and we’ll keep Corbyn out of power.

We don’t know everything that Corbyn wants to do. But we know some of it. And it’s no joke.

When Corbyn was writing his manifesto, he came up with ONE THOUSAND BILLION pounds of extra borrowing and taxes.

And that’s going to come from you.

With higher income tax. Higher fuel duty. Higher corporation tax. Higher debt.

So he’d take our economy back to square one. Just like the last time Labour were in power.

Let’s keep Corbyn and his dangerous ideas out of power.

Yours sincerely,​

Brandon Lewis
Conservative Party Chairman​

register email opened

It’s looking like Armageddon is approaching.
I really don't see Corbyn getting in do you?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
When is a plan not a plan?
When it's a letter to Santa from Steve Baker
https://www.stevebaker.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/20190605-CleanManagedBrexit.pdf

Buried at the bottom is the poison
"While wishing to advance all these agreements, priority will be placed on a UK-USFTA."

And what number state of the USA will we become? the Colonials colony,!
I have read the American statement of intent, on the FTA they want, and it amounts to exactly that.
We will go from being a more than equal partners in the EU to being subject to both the USA and Israeli political ambitions and whatever laws and conditions they impose on us.
Stuff that

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers