Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
who ever said we should not have a relationship with them. You are talking as if we are going to have no trade or dealings with them at all. It is the nature of the relationship which is the sticking point. They want to still have control over us and who we trade with. I'm sure that if we left tomorrow without a deal, trade would continue in some form and very quickly would normalise. Yes there would be a bit of posturing and threatening on both sides of the water, but in the end common sense would take over. There is too much at stake , and surely there is no good reason to try and punish each other
There it comes again... The victim bit again. Who said anything about punishment. ?. There has been continuing cant about the EU punishing the UK ,going on three years now. What the EU said on day one is that outside the EU the deal cannot be as good as inside. Can you identify any quotation from an official of the EU which incites punishment?.(please exclude Mr Farage)
Of course there will be trade, and there will be a new normal between a UK and an EU. .. The new normal might be significantly worse than the current normal. There was trade between the USA and Cuba all through the years of embargoes.
My point is that irrespective of whatever belief spurred people to vote Leave in 2016, they were not agreeing to Leave fully. They wanted a looser relationship.. you queried this
#3 years ago the public gave solicited advice to parliament that they wanted a looser relationship with the EU. The nature of which was NOT specified. #

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
There it comes again... The victim bit again. Who said anything about punishment. ?. There has been continuing cant about the EU punishing the UK ,going on three years now. What the EU said on day one is that outside the EU the deal cannot be as good as inside. Can you identify any quotation from an official of the EU which incites punishment?.(please exclude Mr Farage)
Of course there will be trade, and there will be a new normal between a UK and an EU. .. The new normal might be significantly worse than the current normal. There was trade between the USA and Cuba all through the years of embargoes.
My point is that irrespective of whatever belief spurred people to vote Leave in 2016, they were not agreeing to Leave fully. They wanted a looser relationship.. you queried this
#3 years ago the public gave solicited advice to parliament that they wanted a looser relationship with the EU. The nature of which was NOT specified. #

Of course no-one can predict the future but the question was quite clear.

As was the answer.

We are happy to have free movement and trade.

We just decided that we have no wish to be saddled with an increasingly far right, capitalist dictatorship.

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
don't recall 'Would you like to remain?' 'Would you like a looser relationship?' on the paper or did I miss that? Or are you just making it up to suit your narrative?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Because her deal was not leaving the EU. It was staying in with worse benefits.
Most people understand that WTO makes imports from the EU more expensive, exports to the EU will be hammered, especially services like insurance and banking which fall outside WTO.
You can expect that any government, including a conservative government, if they can survive a no deal brexit, will try to get a Canada type deal PDQ. That means that it will accept the Withdrawal agreement and NI will have to have the backstop.
You are back exactly where TM has left.
If you can vote to select a PM, think about it.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

As was the answer.

We just decided that we have no wish to be saddled with an increasingly far right, capitalist dictatorship.
So don't vote Conservative.....

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

As was the answer.

Just who was happy with free movement? come on now, how many Brexit voters wanted that?

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's your imagination.

We know there will be a hit.
No, not my imagination, just a simple statement of the facts to have a deal. Remember the Leave campaigners promising a good deal and arguing it would be easy to get one? As we Remainers said at the time, that was an impossible fantasy and we've been proved right.

It's your imagination that there will be a hit, where's your evidence for that? The EU will prefer to continue with trading so the last thing they'll do is obstruct that. Currently the only obstruction is from us refusing to accept that the North-South Irish border has to be a hard one, either at the border or preferably in the Irish Sea to allow free North-South Irish trading.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You learn something new every day

So the Great Britain is a country? nearly as fantastic as suggesting Boris didn't make a hash of the interview, he was pathetic

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The withdrawal agreement was leaving with a deal, exactly as the Leave campaigners promised before the referendum.

You might not like the terms of the deal, but that doesn't make it not leaving.

Your problem it seems, shared with too many Leavers, is wanting to walk away with no responsibilities but still having rights to all the EU benefits. That was never going to happen, authority and responsibility are indivisible.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Oh p-l-e-a-s-e give the fc uk over. Like you fc uking know. You know nothing. You 'see him for what he is'. Right. You see him through your utterly blinkered judgements and pre-conceived notions.

Go look up the phrase 'conformation bias' when you have a moment spare from praising your own deluded perceptions.
Ahem, " confirmation" bias. I've no idea what "conformation" bias is. I guess it has something to do with conforming to whatever boris wants you to believe.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have not seen the full deal so cannot say, but if it had been a reasonable document I'm sure it would have been voted through. Some seem to think it was more of a surrender document. As for the opposition, although they stood on a platform of carrying out the result of the referendum, all they have done is try to create a situation for a GE. And then you are all whingeing on here about not being able to trust Boris
I posted the link to the full withdrawal on here and urged everyone to read it: I did, didn't you?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh p-l-e-a-s-e give the fc uk over. Like you fc uking know. You know nothing. You 'see him for what he is'. Right. You see him through your utterly blinkered judgements and pre-conceived notions.

Go look up the phrase 'conformation bias' when you have a moment spare from praising your own deluded perceptions.
Of course we see him for what he is, who doesn't? we simply don't lie about what we see

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Most people understand that WTO makes imports from the EU more expensive, exports to the EU will be hammered, especially services like insurance and banking which fall outside WTO.
You can expect that any government, including a conservative government, if they can survive a no deal brexit, will try to get a Canada type deal PDQ. That means that it will accept the Withdrawal agreement and NI will have to have the backstop.
You are back exactly where TM has left.
If you can vote to select a PM, think about it.

As I’ve always maintained I don’t think we will be leaving. But if we do then I would want a better deal than what Canada has.

Canada doesn’t have free movement of people etc. We should be pushing for the same sort of trade deal we have now. Keep it simple. They carry on with their project we continue to trade.

I’m really not sure what is so complicated about it. It’s how we started with them. We just remove ourselves politically.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A Photo emerged that is every but as authentic as the original

"What do you do to relax?" "I make things. I make models of buses."

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As I’ve always maintained I don’t think we will be leaving. But if we do then I would want a better deal than what Canada has.

Canada doesn’t have free movement of people etc. We should be pushing for the same sort of trade deal we have now. Keep it simple. They carry on with their project we continue to trade.

I’m really not sure what is so complicated about it. It’s how we started with them. We just remove ourselves politically.
That last sentence tells us all we need to know

Advertisers