Brexit, for once some facts.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Seems I'm the only one on here who voted out and wouldn't change my vote.
you are part of the 94% of brexiters who have not changed their view.
However, 6% of those who voted out will have, therefore if the referendum is run again, the result would be to remain.

Reactions: flecc

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
that's very disingenuous: FWIW the actual bigger picture
https://www.ojassociates.com/blog/2016/03/brexit-referendum-and-its-impact-on-the-uk-insurance-industry
hard brexit will mean the uk insurance industry loses direct access to a market of 28 countries.
I imagine the telegraph is as usual trying to con the electorate rather than convince itself? either way it's BS.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Last edited:

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Saw today that UK could possibly reduce corporation tax to 10% if EU tries to make it too difficult. Don't know if that's credible or not. Also saw some major player in banking rubbishing the claim that banks will desert UK over Brexit. Sure if I looked elsewhere I could find the exact opposite views being expressed. Everybody can source the ''facts'' to suit their own preferences. T-Rex has posted a number of polls on here which are not in favour of Brexit. I am sure they are posted in good faith, but in the lead up to the referendum the ones he posted generally turned out to be way off the mark. Point is we have had the vote and made the choice. Now it is in everyones interest's that it is done in a sensible way including the EU who seem to be acting like spoilt children. They are supposed to be friends and allies. Who needs enemies???

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I don't know what they have won, but the reality of brexit jitters will be here soon enough. Inflation, unemployment going up.
My guess they could say they thumped the government of the day and got the scalp of David Cameron. It's the same watching totally lucid people of Ohio explaining why they are voting for Donald Trump. They want change, anything will do and they are prepared to believe Mr Trump 'making America great again'. In the case of brexit, they were too eager to believe that it could not be worse than the EU. Yes, indeed it could.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
as if not I the uk?
http://www.postonline.co.uk/post/news/2472819/fca-to-retain-large-sections-of-eu-regulation-post-brexit
having bailed out financial services with your pension and health and social care I would have imagined you would, as a uk taxpayer, be quite happy for regulation that requires it to be well capitalised?
That is the point they are making, if individual countries can define what the meaning of capitalied is, even with the new regulation there won't be a level playing field - which is what the single market is suppose to achieve.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Saw today that UK could possibly reduce corporation tax to 10% if EU tries to make it too difficult. Don't know if that's credible or not. Also saw some major player in banking rubbishing the claim that banks will desert UK over Brexit. Sure if I looked elsewhere I could find the exact opposite views being expressed. Everybody can source the ''facts'' to suit their own preferences. T-Rex has posted a number of polls on here which are not in favour of Brexit. I am sure they are posted in good faith, but in the lead up to the referendum the ones he posted generally turned out to be way off the mark. Point is we have had the vote and made the choice. Now it is in everyones interest's that it is done in a sensible way including the EU who seem to be acting like spoilt children. They are supposed to be friends and allies. Who needs enemies???
The way I see it the only sensible end to Brexit that is in 'everyones interest' is to forget the whole stupid idea. The threat of reducing corporation tax to 10% as spite against the EU, is clutching at straws by the government,I am sure that even May wouldn't stoop that low,Boris not so sure.
When this Brexit vote was first muted I was impressed by Gove's statement but as time went on,it became obvious it was only rhetoric and no factual advantages,in fact Boris's unpublished report,pro EU, is now very close to the truth.
I see today that the government are being pressured to come up with the 350 million a week that Boris promised on the side of the big red bus.My parents voted Leave just because of Boris's promise,nothing else. It will be interesting if Hammond finds the £18 billion,plus the money he has promised to the farmers,universities,the EU money promised to Wales and Scotland,the 'bribe' to keep Nissan building the new car,the £7 billion to keep the banks in the passporting....hit the calculator and that makes the net £5.5 billion we contribute to the EU (£11 billion less £5.5 billion the Eu gives us back),small change.
It is not surprising that Hammond is having some heated disagreements with Theresa Mayhem,he has to balance the books and his income is going down drastically and all these pledges are not affordable. I remember Boris specifically saying that out of the 350 million we could afford to reopen some closed hospitals,I think Hartlepool was one....is a poor person in a deprived part of the UK pleased with a vote Leave,to make themselves a lot poorer and Boris's pledges complete rubbish.???
Be interesting if Hammond finds the £18 billion for the NHS????
KudosDave

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
That is the point they are making, if individual countries can define what the meaning of capitalied is, even with the new regulation there won't be a level playing field - which is what the single market is suppose to achieve.
that's what I found disingenuous, from this
http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ddccb369-0752-44b2-b485-919336c6034b
it does not seem the case, but I imagine they do not want to hold more capital and need to create reasons for avoiding it?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Seems I'm the only one on here who voted out and wouldn't change my vote.
No you are not alone, there are others, but they suffer from a great difficulty in that it is darned hear impossible to come up with a convincing argument for that decision, that will survive even a moment's scrutiny, but if someone can propose one, that would be very welcome.
Do you have a reason for Voting leave that can do that?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Me neither fingers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12014993/The-single-European-market-is-looking-increasingly-like-a-sham.html

re-entered the link but if it is does not work try:

*ttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/12014993/The-single-European-market-is-looking-increasingly-like-a-sham.html

copy above, paste into your browser address bar replace the * with h then hit go button
I should't take any encouragement form that if I was you, as the net result will be the expected exit to the Far East
"Prudential, warned of the “unintended consequences” of Solvency II, and his successor, Mike Wells, is reported to be contemplating plans to split the Pru’s UK business (which only generates 20pc of its cashflow) from its Asian and American arms. There has also been talk of shifting the company’s domicile to Hong Kong or Singapore."

Come on, you can surely do better than that to promote Brexit
That article is a case of the Mother in Law going over a cliff in your new car!

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I think there are very few who now thinks that Brexit is a good idea,including Theresa May,Boris and Davis....Fox is thick so doesn't count....but they dont know how to go forwards or backwards on Brexit. There are some Leavers who probably only voted to rebel against the establishment,they had nothing before Brexit so really had nothing to lose....they are the sort who say we voted to Leave,so '........'.well get on with it,they dont care if the economy dies,just as long as their benefit payments are maintained.
But there are also some who voted Leave but now wished the whole disaster were over,they didnt really understand what they voted for and probably dont understand even now what are the implications.
May would wish to U-turn on most of Brexit,she wants some control of immigration because of her failure to control the same when home secretary but for the rest it must be a nightmare for her,but she doesn't know how to get out of this mess....because she is a control freak she can't even use the 3 Brexiteers as fall guys because she is Mrs Brexit.
We have a lady at the helm of a sinking ship heading for rocks,there is a safe harbour if she can only turn the boat around,but when she turns and moors up a load of yobs will throw stones at her.
She needs to leave the ship and let Boris and Co smash it into the rocks,just needs to find a nice quiet lifeboat,that nobody will notice,hehe !!!
KudosDave

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
No you are not alone, there are others, but they suffer from a great difficulty in that it is darned hear impossible to come up with a convincing argument for that decision, that will survive even a moment's scrutiny, but if someone can propose one, that would be very welcome.
Do you have a reason for Voting leave that can do that?

I will never change the mind of a remoaner but for me in the end the decision was simple. Bear in mind I was a floating voter till I could find some serious info not the ******* coming from the clowns on either side.

Ultimately it came down to the point that we will leave at some point in the future so why not do it now suffer the pain then reap the benefits. I'm pretty sure most people don't want to join the Euro? This means that we will be made to sit out more and more meetings in Brussels weakening our position year on year. The EU is not what was sold to us even back in '73. It's not a trading bloc. It's a Federation with the ultimate goal to make make sovereign governments little more than local councils. It's always been the plan and they make no secret of it. By 2024 Brussels will set each Euro country's budget. So Dublin, Rome etc will get a fixed amount decided by an unelected jury and toldto get on with it. Europe is in deep trouble. Italy is about to go the same as Greece, its banks are finished the EU is giving it emergency loans and they will stop soon They had done twice before but realise the need to look strong in the face of Brexit. Look at the mess of CETA. A trading deal with a friendly open Canadian government scuppered by mere province in Brussels. You want to be part of this decrepit old fashioned bureaucracy?

It's a Germany Franco pact. I don't want to be in their federation thanks even if it hurts for a few years. My grandparents made heavier sacrifices for this country the last time someone else wished to control us, so being a few quid down is not really much to ask for.

I should point out I love Europe and the people. I just don't want to be part of an EU Federation.

Reactions: gray198

Advertisers