Brexit, for once some facts.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Border posts on the Irish border would achieve something that nothing else has ever managed.. It will unite Catholics and Protestants...They will both be trying to blow the border posts up.

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Liar King now wants the Irish to leave the EU and join us? :D :D :D :D :D :D
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/9764957/boris-johnson-ireland-no-hard-border/

Here's an even better idea for you!
Get the other 27 nations to leave the EU and join us in a temporary alliance.
Hang on............
What an utter pillock! is this the 4D chess Fingers was on about?
The who are the other three Dunces?:cool:

Even the Sun readers reacted badly
This is hilarious. I can't believe that The Sun would even print such nonsense or even think that there was even a possibility of this being a runner.
"No country in the EU trusts Britain or even likes us. The backstop is important in Ireland, and we put it in the agreement in the first place. We cant just decide we want it taken out and expect othet countries to simply comply with our order. But, as arrogant clueless Brits, we do expect them to. Thats why we are a laughing stock.
Boris has totally lost the plot and what comes out of his mouth is getting more ludicrous by the day. This is your leader, my dear British friends, plunging you into chaos and recession over a tory pet project.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We can leave in any way we like, but we want to keep membership benefits without payment, we have always had control of our borders.
As yet not trade deal has even been dscussed, never mind agreed
worse, Bojo wants us to be more competitive by any means necessary. Euphemism for cheating.
he believes that's a right way for business. We should all be ashamed of our PM.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
A joke from the Fringe festival.
"The referendum on Brexit was like asking your husband if he wanted a threesome for his 40th. He was supposed to say no but he didn’t. And now everyone’s really miserable.”

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder what it would be like if Bojo, Corbyn and Arlene Foster were your threesome.

• Offensive Language
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and daveboy

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
And yet the Republic of Ireland is even more reliant on exports to the UK:

"In terms of specific sectoral exposure:

Almost 50% of our beef exports go to UK,
About 22% of our dairy exports go to the UK, of which:
41% is cheese, 26% is butter and 12% is SMP;
Cheddar is the largest dairy export to the UK - 47% (81k tonnes) of Irish cheddar cheese is exported to the UK.
Some 47% of cheddar exported to the UK is of Irish origin.
99% of mushroom and 71% forestry products and more than 62% of prepared consumer foods are exported to the UK."

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Cheddar is the largest dairy export to the UK - 47% (81k tonnes) of Irish cheddar cheese is exported to the UK.
99% of mushroom and 71% forestry products and more than 62% of prepared consumer foods are exported to the UK."

we intend to charge zero or near zero for our imports from the ROI.
The Irish will lose next to nothing while the EU taxes everything we sell to them.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
we intend to charge zero or near zero for our imports from the ROI.
The Irish will lose next to nothing while the EU taxes everything we sell to them.

I doubt it will come to that.

If it did I'm sure we would have to be forced to impose tariffs but that is a backward step.

Let's hope the EU sees that free trade with us is a good thing sooner rather than later.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
There are probably more people of Irish extraction living in the UK than in Ireland.
I didn't know until a few years ago, that includes me. Great grandmother would appear to have crossed the sea. But my genetic makeup suggests much more Irish than she would account for.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I doubt it will come to that.

If it did I'm sure we would have to be forced to impose tariffs but that is a backward step.

Let's hope the EU sees that free trade with us is a good thing sooner rather than later.
lets see us back in the EU where we belong, it is simply a matter of time and how much we suffer before then.
Even idiots will face reality in the end.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
lets see us back in the EU where we belong, it is simply a matter of time and how much we suffer before then.
Glad to see you have finally accepted the result.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

Yes... It will be hard cheese for some. Fingers do you not realise that I have been saying exactly this for years now.?. The machines used in our dairies are designed to process for cheddar, and England is the major cheddar eater. But machines have been ordered with BT IDA funding to make the softer cheeses preferred on the continent. This is some of the contingency planning in place. Your Cadbury dairy chocolate might loose some of its quality,if you don't import the milk crumb from Mallow. Your analysis omitted that the vast majority of duck eaten in the UK comes from Monaghan, as of course does the mushrooms ,you refer to.
You see Ireland is now the best placed it has ever been regarding UK markets. A generation ago those figures would have been closer to 100%. Even more interesting is that a fraction of that produce is processed and re-exported to us as convience foods. Unlike a generation ago,the Irish footprint in semiconductors, pharmaceutical, software, aircraft leasing has grown to global proportions and the agricultural sector ,still extremely important, is not as critical.
The British housewife will be buying inferior product ,having travelled longer distances,when she chooses not to buy Irish.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the brexit funders like Dyson, British Sugar and Weatherspoons have a lot to gain to take the UK outside tariff fortress Europe!
it's their pay day, they won't certainly encourage our government to put up tariffs!
Furthermore, we are restricted by WTO before FTAs, we have to apply the same tariffs to the EU whatever we charge the Americans, Canadians, Koreans etc. We can't single the EU27 out for retaliation.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: robdon and Fingers

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I didn't know until a few years ago, that includes me. Great grandmother would appear to have crossed the sea. But my genetic makeup suggests much more Irish than she would account for.
..and it works both ways. My mother had a rare bone disease..called Padgett's which is extremely rare in Ireland,and more common in the UK. It did not kill her, but assisted in her hearing loss and other problems.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I often get involved in arranging the repair of servers. Although I don't actually touch them, I do talk to the warranty people and discuss how they are going to be repaired.

Most often, the parts are available within the UK (otherwise they could not manage so many same-day repairs). But every so often, we see some parts having to delivered, typically from Holland, either by van or sometimes flown.

If brexit causes delays, the impact on smaller companies, the ones who rely on individual servers rather than having the luxury of multiple machines including spares, could be considerable. Instead of losing their systems for a few hours, who knows how long it could take?

Advertisers