Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This was going to happen at some point.

Unless we were part of the Euro we would become more and more marginalised and a referendum would have to be held.

As the federation becomes tighter knit it would be even harder to have a voice. I think it was inevitable we would leave.

We might as well rip off the plaster now.

We can always rejoin and take the Euro later.

If it still exists
Too many assumptions there, we had a voice but sent idiots as representatives and lied to the public blaming the EU for home grown disasters, and we still do.

We had a bigger voice than all but Germany, so that is nonsense

It took three attempts to enter the EEC, when we are in a weak state and no better than one of the Eastern European countries, they won't want us back any way after the way we have behaved.

Foolish decision by foolish people to leave, a mistake that will only be rectified after much trouble and expense, and all because people here imagine themselves to be a dynamic world beating nation, despite the fact the only half of our industry that can call itself that is foreign owned , run and organised.

Time for a self inflicted lesson on the reality of the world today, where an inflated view of our own ability and influence won't get us very far, except to negate all the progress we have made since before we joined the EEC

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Should get a house out of it.

That will do me. I’m not a greedy person.
What you mean is you hope to exploit a fall in house prices as you explained before.
Ignoring of course what that means in the bigger picture.
And if the house prices collapse? what then?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
What you mean is you hope to exploit a fall in house prices as you explained before.
Ignoring of course what that means in the bigger picture.

I see it as a necessary correction.

I will also make sure that the seller still wins. I won’t buy a house in negative equity. There are plenty of houses where I’m looking that cost 180k ten years ago. The seller will still make a profit. Just not as much as 7 or 8 months ago. You can see everything online these days.

If house prices collapse so be it. I’m not buying a house to make money. Just somewhere to live that I own and space for my children to grow up in. Nothing fancy or sinister going on here.

You are tying yourself in knots here. I think you like to be made to look silly. It’s sadistic the way you invite ridicule on yourself.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

I will also make sure that the seller still wins. I won’t buy a house in negative equity. There are plenty of houses where I’m looking that cost 180k ten years ago. The seller will still make a profit. Just not as much as 7 or 8 months ago. You can see everything online these days.

If house prices collapse so be it. I’m not buying a house to make money. Just somewhere to live that I own and space for my children to grow up in. Nothing fancy or sinister going on here.

You are tying yourself in knots here. I think you like to be made to look silly. It’s sadistic the way you invite ridicule on yourself.
Not so, simply pointing out what you were doing, you are the one mentioning what you wanted to get out of brexit and justifying it as a necessary correction without thinking of the consequences.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Does anyone believe in coincidences? The met drags it's heels over investigating the leave lawbreaking and just happens to come to the wrong conclusion when parliament can't meet to question it?
Bit too obvious to be coincidence

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I’m not buying a house to make money. Just somewhere to live that I own and space for my children to grow up in.
Agreed, and I hope the fall in prices becomes more substantial. It will cause some chaos but the correction is long overdue. Hopefully the burnt fingers ( no pun intended) will prevent a repeat of the crazy market we've endured for so long.

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz and Fingers

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Does anyone believe in coincidences? The met drags it's heels over investigating the leave lawbreaking and just happens to come to the wrong conclusion when parliament can't meet to question it?
Bit too obvious to be coincidence

Aliens.

Has to be.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
  • :D
Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Not sure Blair has...
Three ex-prime ministers Tony Blair, Gordon Brown AND Sir John Major join together to attack Boris Johnson over No Deal plans as they warn he must choose between leading the nation and being a 'spokesman for ultra-Brexiteers'
  • Sir John Major says pursuing No Deal would define Boris Johnson's time as PM
  • Sir John says choosing No Deal would guarantee new PM faces fierce opposition
  • Tony Blair says next Tory leader should offer Britain a fresh referendum on Brexit
  • The three-time election winner argues the choices should be No Deal or Remain
  • Gordon Brown compares No Deal to disastrous Charge of the Light Brigade

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Three ex-prime ministers Tony Blair, Gordon Brown AND Sir John Major join together to attack Boris Johnson over No Deal plans as they warn he must choose between leading the nation and being a 'spokesman for ultra-Brexiteers'
  • Sir John Major says pursuing No Deal would define Boris Johnson's time as PM
  • Sir John says choosing No Deal would guarantee new PM faces fierce opposition
  • Tony Blair says next Tory leader should offer Britain a fresh referendum on Brexit
  • The three-time election winner argues the choices should be No Deal or Remain
  • Gordon Brown compares No Deal to disastrous Charge of the Light Brigade

Nice.

I guess he is trying to get into heaven

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What are the Daily Mail up to with this?
Now Britain's top cop Cressida Dick is dragged into the Nick scandal after it's revealed she had a key role in probe as she tries to shift blame to her deputy
  • She had rejected calls for officers in VIP sex abuse investigation to face probe
  • Then an assistant commissioner, she oversaw investigation in its early stages
  • Ms Dick was in post when 'Nick', real name Carl Beech was interviewed in 2014
Call me Dame suddenly falls out of favour after all she's done?

Reactions: oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the BoE would use the opportunity to raise interest rate to attract foreign investment.
Double whammy for buyers who got caught buying before price hits bottom.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Big city? what big city? Rotherham?
Rotherham is a large town in South Yorkshire, England, which together with its conurbation and outlying settlements to the north, south and south-east forms the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham, with a recorded population of 257,280 in the 2011 census.

Hull, or Kingston upon Hull, is a port city in East Yorkshire, England. Where the River Hull meets the Humber Estuary, The Deep aquarium is a futuristic building with an underwater viewing tunnel and hands-on displays. In the old town’s Museums Quarter, the Streetlife Museum focuses on modes of transport. Wilberforce House, birthplace of William Wilberforce, documents the abolition of the slave trade.

Weather: 14 °C, Wind E at 5 mph (8 km/h), 61% Humidity
Population: 284,321 (2011) United Nations

Not much in it is there?
Fingers isnt from Rotherham. Somebody tell Gerald what rhymes with anchor. He, s in bewilderment trying to work it out.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
As I agree a clean break really is nonsense, whatever the rhetoric, we get back to the same question. So just what is the advanatge of leaving?

The bits I have not quoted are also worth reading.

Hopes of clean break with EU are nonsense, says ex-Brexit official
A no-deal exit would trigger complex negotiations, argues former top DexEU civil servant

Claiming a no-deal Brexit represents a clean break with the European Union is “nonsensical”, according to Philip Rycroft, the former permanent secretary at the Department for Exiting the EU.

Boris Johnson has promised to extricate the UK from the EU on 31 October “come what may” – and has hinted that he could try to get around legislation mandating him to request a Brexit delay.

The Brexit party leader, Nigel Farage, whose party trounced the Tories in May’s European elections, has been urging the PM to deliver a “clean break Brexit” by leaving without a deal.

But Rycroft, who was the most senior civil servant at DexEU until March this year, told the Guardian a no-deal Brexit would mark the beginning of a complex series of negotiations.

“It is not a clean break: what it does is it takes us legally out of the EU. But what it can’t do is undo all of the very close economic ties that we have with the EU, on which so much of our trade as a country depends. And nor would we want to undo all of the close security ties that we have with the EU,” he said.

“And because of the importance of those ties both for the EU and the UK, it will remain hugely important to have those expressed through a formal relationship. In other words, we’re going to have to negotiate – and that negotiation on the future relationship starts with citizens, money and the border on the island of Ireland.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/14/hopes-of-clean-break-with-eu-are-nonsense-says-ex-brexit-official

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
Dont be silly, the verdict was guilty, nothing can change that, and it matters, all involved are guilty of criminal acts.
Don't worry justice will be served
I really can't understand what sort of person rejoices at the news that people the police judge guilty of crime are allowed to get away with it.
You should be ashamed, but you have none, have you?
The Police can say what they want....Guilt in this country is decided by a Judge and/or a Jury.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fingers isnt from Rotherham. Somebody tell Gerald what rhymes with anchor. He, s in bewilderment trying to work it out.
Correct, my mistake, you both sound like a comedy duo and I mixed one for the other,
Not surprising when the comments come from the same direction, and are equally inane.

As to what rhymes with anchor, perhaps you could as Boris? he uses the term with regard to Johnny Foreigners doesn't he?

No bewilderment on my part, we get comments from people who are familiar with the answer to that question posing as members of the government on the news every day.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Police can say what they want....Guilt in this country is decided by a Judge and/or a Jury.
But only after the police refer the case to them.
Ask yourself "Why would the police not say they were innocent of the charges?"
They haven't investigated well enough to make a case, have they and the matter is not closed,

Manveen Rana
@ManveenRana

Replying to
@andywigmore
Hi Andy. I think you must have missed the detail. I quoted a statement from the NCA sent to me *today*. By all means, do give them a ring to check. I’m sure they’d be delighted to hear from you. Here’s the statement:

7:34 PM · Sep 13, 2019·Twitter for iPhone
Your statement was correct
"The Police can say what they want....Guilt in this country is decided by a Judge and/or a Jury. "
And in due course when a case if put before them and not merely lost, we should see proper scrutiny

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Doncaster! Good one.

Johnson was also confronted by a woman in Doncaster. “People have died because of austerity and you’ve got the cheek to come here and tell us austerity is over and it’s all good now, we’re going to leave the EU and everything’s going to be great,” she said. “It’s just a fairytale.”

Advertisers