Brexit, for once some facts.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
He will never be taken to court. An awful lot of folk can see exactly why he has done all this. Its all a sideshow. The act of any significance is EU deciding wether to grant an extension. BJ is hoping they dont, in which case he, s won. If they do he could still win vote. Its been to his advantage delaying the decision.
If BJ’s deal is rejected, the EU will grant an extension. They don’t want no deal. They want the £39 billion.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I can't see how he can win. The basic arithmetic has not changed. The majority of MPs do not want no deal and the WAB bill will have tons of amendments to go through, even then, the HoL will likely vote down any attempt to rush through a Bojo's Act of parliament.
The EU will have no choice, they have to agree to an extension to get their divorce money.
His best hope is EU not granting an extension. If they do chances are,.... you are right.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
If BJ’s deal is rejected, the EU will grant an extension. They don’t want no deal. They want the £39 billion.
He is asking for an extension prior to voting on his deal tho. That could easily make a world of difference,especially so if they refuse. He would go to parliament with no deal or his deal being only options.
The EU do want the money but they want it done asap. Hence why I think there is a good chance they will refuse the extension.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Things change, it's metric now with feet becoming metres, the old 20:20 expressed as 6:6.
That got me thinking will we revoke decimilisation if we Brexit...

Will the UK go back to pounds, shillings and pence after Brexit ...

Of course it will, and don't forget guineas and threpenny bits. Additionally:

Anyone caught being French in public will be flogged.

Use of words such as kilometer will be a criminal offence, and repeat offenders will be set in the stocks and pelted with rotten turnips.

The sale of garlic will be banned: those caught in possession of this controlled substance will be considered as French sympathizers and be treated accordingly.

Her Majesty the Queen will once again licence British pirates to attack Spanish ships at will.

Brussels sprouts will be renamed as dwarf pseudo cabbages, which is, after all, what they are.

The Channel Tunnel will be closed for transportation and be repurposed as a storage chamber for the national ale reserve.

On a sober note, whatever currency we have will be worth considerably less if the Brexit chaos continues…

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Web developers on presumably on double time have been busy rejigging over the weekend

Brexit date downplayed in government advertising shift

The government has changed the wording of its Get Ready for Brexit campaign appearing to suggest a no-deal exit on the 31 October is now less likely.
Its website now says: "We could still leave with no deal on 31 October."
The wording has been altered from earlier this month, when it said: "The UK is due to leave on 31 October."

Prominent logos on the website saying "Brexit 31 October" also appear to have been removed.
Faisal said the wording also indicated preparation for 31 October was for the possibility of "no deal" rather than Brexit generally.

Reactions: Woosh

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Will the UK go back to pounds, shillings and pence after Brexit ...
There is a little party trick based on £sd where you secretly write down an amount on a piece of paper and put that somewhere where everyone can see it is untouched. Then get someone to choose an £sd value and do some simple arithmetic. The answer comes out to what you wrote - and then reveal with a drum roll.

Because it is quite simple, yet moderately impressive, I have tried it with some people younger than me. Explaining adding and subtracting pennies, especially when you carry or borrow, is hard enough. But the shillings floor almost everyone.

I can imagine the mess even numerate and intelligent people would be in!

It would be very interesting to consider the difficulties which we would have with technology. For example, I don't know of any calculators which can directly handle £sd. Mobile phone calculators would need £sd modes. Computers can, of course, be programmed to handle £sd, but changing over would be a nightmare. Mechanical label printers for shops cannot print £sd values. Petrol pumps can't display £sd (the ones that use electromechanical displays).

Would we also revert language to include three-ha'pence? Thrupenny bit? Tuppence ha'penny?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Web developers on presumably on double time have been busy rejigging over the weekend

Brexit date downplayed in government advertising shift

The government has changed the wording of its Get Ready for Brexit campaign appearing to suggest a no-deal exit on the 31 October is now less likely.
Its website now says: "We could still leave with no deal on 31 October."
The wording has been altered from earlier this month, when it said: "The UK is due to leave on 31 October."

Prominent logos on the website saying "Brexit 31 October" also appear to have been removed.
Faisal said the wording also indicated preparation for 31 October was for the possibility of "no deal" rather than Brexit generally.
Does it say which year?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There is a little party trick based on £sd where you secretly write down an amount on a piece of paper and put that somewhere where everyone can see it is untouched. Then get someone to choose an £sd value and do some simple arithmetic. The answer comes out to what you wrote - and then reveal with a drum roll.

Because it is quite simple, yet moderately impressive, I have tried it with some people younger than me. Explaining adding and subtracting pennies, especially when you carry or borrow, is hard enough. But the shillings floor almost everyone.

I can imagine the mess even numerate and intelligent people would be in!

It would be very interesting to consider the difficulties which we would have with technology. For example, I don't know of any calculators which can directly handle £sd. Mobile phone calculators would need £sd modes. Computers can, of course, be programmed to handle £sd, but changing over would be a nightmare. Mechanical label printers for shops cannot print £sd values. Petrol pumps can't display £sd (the ones that use electromechanical displays).

Would we also revert language to include three-ha'pence? Thrupenny bit? Tuppence ha'penny?
When I started my first job in 1959 we worked out the 1,000 invoices that came in each day with one of these

And also wrote out a cheque for each order.
It was involved, but we became very fast!

Reactions: flecc and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Getting desperate in the Express
"
MPs warned of 'revenge' in next election as poll finds politicians will block Brexit deal
REMAINER MPs will succeed in their efforts to block Boris Johnson’s plan to deliver Brexit on October 31, seven in 10 Express.co.uk readers believe, but frustrated Leave voters have warned them to expect “revenge” at the next general election."

So what?

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
When I started my first job in 1959 we worked out the 1,000 invoices that came in each day with one of these

And also wrote out a cheque for each order.
It was involved, but we became very fast!
Those of us who grew up with it would, I'm sure, be fine. Despite ready reckoners, etc., I think those who have never used £sd would struggle for a considerable time. Perhaps especially if all our phones had £sd calculators which would tend to avoid the need to do it in our brains.

The other day, I had a bit of a surprise in some retail eastablishment (can't remember if it was a shop, a cafe, or what), the person serving counted my change back up to the tendered note as they gave it to me. That largely disappeared as tills arrived that display change amounts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Getting desperate in the Express
"
MPs warned of 'revenge' in next election as poll finds politicians will block Brexit deal
REMAINER MPs will succeed in their efforts to block Boris Johnson’s plan to deliver Brexit on October 31, seven in 10 Express.co.uk readers believe, but frustrated Leave voters have warned them to expect “revenge” at the next general election."

So what?
<revenge>I'll never vote tory or for the current MP because of their part in brexit, however it turns out.</revenge>

Trouble is, I'd never vote tory anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Some info from the IFS
"The UK is set to give up the best deal any EU member state has ever had - it pays £280 million a week for membership - the IFS calculates that generates £1.9bn of GDP every week, a net gain of £1.6bn EVERY WEEK! "

Perhaps someone ought to mention this to the public?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Some info from the IFS
"The UK is set to give up the best deal any EU member state has ever had - it pays £280 million a week for membership - the IFS calculates that generates £1.9bn of GDP every week, a net gain of £1.6bn EVERY WEEK! "

Perhaps someone ought to mention this to the public?
you waste your effort.
brexiters will argue that it's not about money, it's about taking back control.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
you waste your effort.
brexiters will argue that it's not about money, it's about taking back control.

They can't say what it is that they want to take back control of.

Pause and think about that for a moment. We have people who are ready to make themselves, and others, poorer so that the can have a greater degree of control over a "something." They have no idea what the "something" is, what the "something" looks like, who currently controls the "something" or what will be better once they gain control of the "something", which in all likelihood doesn't exist anyway.

If that is not the purest, most distilled and concentrated definition of very stupid, please tell me what is. Three years ago, they would have scoffed at the very notion, but incrementally, bit by bit, they have allowed the Boris Johnson's of this world reduce them to this. WAKE UP!!!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They can't say what it is that they want to take back control of.
their leaders know what they want to take control of: the conservative leadership.
Brexit is primarily a fight between conservative MPs. For the rest, they'll decide later what it is that they want for the country.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
their leaders know what they want to take control of: the conservative leadership.
Brexit is primarily a fight between conservative MPs. For the rest, they'll decide later what it is that they want for the country.
They know already: to become an American Client state.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The ERG position
Baker lays out exactly how they feel about Johnson's deal, and the plan to "restructure the agreement."
Drop out with no deal is most likely the aim once it has been passed, for otherwise what is the point of voting for what is in his words
"A deeply Flawed deal?"
More on this
"

Brexitshambles@brexit_sham

Baker's 'private' ERG address on Saturday: 'the deal is deeply, deeply flawed and unattractive.. we can persuade the govt to restructure negotiations.'

Baker gaslighting the public today on the
@BBC
: 'we are going to compromise in the national interest.'

This verminous ERG group should be proscribed

They intend to vote for the agreement and then in bad faith destroy it

Any method that will protect offshore Tax evasion assets and make America Great again will suit this gang of traitors.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not to mention Farthing, Tanner, Bob/Shilling, Florin, Half-crown and the Guinea.

As you've said the population couldn't cope with £sd. Nobody ever really learnt it in later life, it could only be grown into from a young age.

But it was brilliant since it was often divisible by two, three and four, instead of only the two and five of metric.

Last edited:
Reactions: oyster

Advertisers