Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Bit awkward for Boris that the EU say they won't be ready to start negotiating a trade deal with us before March!
that is to be expected.
I think it will suit BJ too. He can blame the EU for dragging their feet so he will be obliged to have a mini deal which prolong the status quo instead of a proper 'freedom' deal.

Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The transient nature of Facebook suits running and cycling clubs well. Information about an event is only relevant for a short period of time. It allows questions, suggestions and discussions, and once the event is over, it’s self archiving.
I agree that it's very suitable for such clubs and I'm not opposed to it. But for many it isn't as suitable or convenient as a website and is disruptive to the website and the organisation.

For example there's our natural history organisation website with it's extensive galleries of species photographs catalogued with descriptions and data, these valuable to members to assist identifications and research. Facebook isn't at all suitable for this purpose, and the members who use it instead of our website are disruptive. Firstly they post images there without notifying, denying them to our galleries. Secondly they constantly post photos on Facebook for identifications when the galleries or our directly contactable experts could easily give them their answers. Further more they can often get incorrect or misleading replies on Facebook, use them and misinform yet more people.

Since our website easily handles all our news and revolving information anyway, there's no point for us in having Facebook as well, especially as it's harmful to our interests.

So as you see I know why I don't want Facebook membership, it wouldn't do anything for me other than sometimes annoying me. And that is from knowledge, I once joined for a while, but then left completely.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It turned out nice.
careful! you may become really interested in the real economy!
if you compare the growth of the financial sector in the UK against the EU27, you'll see the direction of travel.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It turned out nice.
As I see it, that is just seeing how they can retain any of their current profitable business. Doesn't read as a major ramp up. Companies who are not at present making money will skip the option so those that open will most likely operate as exporters of money.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think this point is significant.
“In practical terms, these figures mean that European firms will be buying office space, hiring staff and engaging legal and professional advisers in the UK,” Bovill said.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
“In practical terms, these figures mean that European firms will be buying office space, hiring staff and engaging legal and professional advisers in the UK,” Bovill said.
Fair enough.

Perhaps we should separate NI, S and W a bit more - and ensure that any company operating in each of them has to have an office there as well - and has to employ legal and professional advisers? Maybe the regions of England as well?

(I also suspect that the word "employ" probably implies buying in services rather than true employees.)

Reactions: robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
No comment on cleanliness and punctuality. But price - a minimum of £22.65 for a single from Malaga to Cordoba (most are £37.76) - and that is only 59 miles.
Of course they will need legal advice,as the UK market diverts . This translates into a higher cost for doing business, which then relates to less profit and less business.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
of course they will, so will our firms.
the main thing about financial services is where they move their clients' money to. London or Paris or Dublin or Frankfurt? Apparently, about £1 trillion of client assets has moved out of London to the EU27.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The Free Press Society and it's associates posted Tommy Robinson's acceptance speech on their Facebook pages. The speech was basically about how the mainstream media, Facebook and Twitter censor people with views that they don't agree with.

Facebook responded by deleting all their accounts. In response to that, various Danish MPs posted the speech video on their Facebook and Twitter accounts with an explanation about the censorship that was going on in the media, so Tommy Robinson went to the top of the trending list on Twitter and a massive discussion about censorship ensued. Facebook couldn't really delete the accounts of the MPS, so they decided to backtrack and calm down the storm by reinstating the deleted accounts.

It seems completely ironic that the Free Press Society or whatever they're called would be censored for posting a video about censorship.

Interestingly, after the speech, TR was invited onto the main Danish TV channel for an interview, which TR secretly recorded. By his comments on the Twitter post below, it looks like they did a cut and shut job on him, which he's about to expose.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Fair enough.

Perhaps we should separate NI, S and W a bit more - and ensure that any company operating in each of them has to have an office there as well - and has to employ legal and professional advisers? Maybe the regions of England as well?

(I also suspect that the word "employ" probably implies buying in services rather than true employees.)
And how long before these offices fulfill their temporary functions and are closed down?

Reactions: robdon and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The Free Press Society and it's associates posted Tommy Robinson's acceptance speech on their Facebook pages. The speech was basically about how the mainstream media, Facebook and Twitter censor people with views that they don't agree with.

Facebook responded by deleting all their accounts. In response to that, various Danish MPs posted the speech video on their Facebook and Twitter accounts with an explanation about the censorship that was going on in the media, so Tommy Robinson went to the top of the trending list on Twitter and a massive discussion about censorship ensued. Facebook couldn't really delete the accounts of the MPS, so they decided to backtrack and calm down the storm by reinstating the deleted accounts.

It seems completely ironic that the Free Press Society or whatever they're called would be censored for posting a video about censorship.

Interestingly, after the speech, TR was invited onto the main Danish TV channel for an interview, which TR secretly recorded. By his comments on the Twitter post below, it looks like they did a cut and shut job on him, which he's about to expose.
I think the only way that you can guarantee a Facebook post won’t be censored or deleted, is to make it a blatant attempt to procure a small boy for deviant sexual practices. They will probably do nothing with it in these circumstances.

Reactions: vfr400

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Hop in a limousine, get there, have a meeeting, get driven back... At most a photo op or two. At great cost (venue, security, etc.).

Cabinet to meet in north of England next Friday, No 10 says

Next week’s cabinet meeting will take place on Friday in the north of England to mark the UK’s departure from the EU, Downing Street has said. The prime minister’s spokesman told the lobby briefing:

The prime minister and the cabinet have set out that they want to work for the entire country and they want to engage more widely across the UK and this is one of many opportunities to do so.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
More Brexit Bell Ends ******

Brexit Party MEP worries UK will no longer have a voice in Europe in last EU parliament sitting

A Brexit Party MEP has raised concerns that the UK will no longer have a voice in Europe on her last day sitting in the EU parliament.

June Mummery tweeted to announce she had attended the penultimate session of the European parliament’s fisheries committee to include British MEPs.

She said:

“The big question now is, who will be here to hold these people to account while they still control Britain’s waters, but the UK has no representation?”

The tweet has since gone viral, prompting several bewildered responses from people on social media.

“Erm…” simply replied Seb Dance, a Labour MEP.

“You really should have thought of that before,” said James Brown.

“Brexit Party MEP complains about Brexit stripping UK of influence in EU,” wrote another.

“THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT YOU VOTED FOR” complained Emma Kennedy.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hop in a limousine, get there, have a meeeting, get driven back... At most a photo op or two. At great cost (venue, security, etc.).

Cabinet to meet in north of England next Friday, No 10 says

Next week’s cabinet meeting will take place on Friday in the north of England to mark the UK’s departure from the EU, Downing Street has said. The prime minister’s spokesman told the lobby briefing:

The prime minister and the cabinet have set out that they want to work for the entire country and they want to engage more widely across the UK and this is one of many opportunities to do so.
And get in a bit of deliberate environmental damage in the process, not to mention hammer the expense accounts

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers