Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Sad you are all so mistaken, we aren't out on the 31st, we'll still be full members on 1st February. That's day one of the two year transition phase when we will be slowly, very gradually, bit by bit departing into so called independence.

I say "so called", because it will never happen. First there's the trade talks which are in seven parts during four phases, as we agreed in the first part of our negotiations over three years ago., i.e. the structure of the talks. We completed that and then went on to the departure terms phase which we're now completing by the end of the month. So two phases done, four still to go.

The deluded Boris Johnson and much of the public seem to think we'll have a trade deal by the end of this year. We won't, all we'll have if we are lucky will be an outline of what's yet to come as I detailed in the beginning of the preceding paragraph.

During the four phases of the trade talks lasting at least four years and probably years more, we will be reaching multiple trade deals. For success in those we will be repeatedly agreeing to accept EU conditions and standards on the items being traded in each agreement. And we will still be accepting the primacy of the European Court in those matters, as we've already agreed to in the Great Repeal Bill.

By the time all this over, probably between 2024 and 20 27, it will probably have dawned on all the Leavers that there is no such thing as sovereignty or true independence in our modern global world. It's simply impossible, just as I pointed out before the referendum in this thread.

We'll still be rule takers, only then we won't helping to make the rules. It will be done to us, not by us. What an achievement.
Yes but!. My understanding is that the transition phase is just until January next ie 1 year ,and can be extended only by HoC deciding to extend by July next.
I don't doubt the timeline you have envisaged, but there are plenty of opportunities for a slip.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
View attachment 33749

This is problem with the lecturing type these days.
Private jet to Davos 6 tonnes of CO2.
Commercial flight 0.19 per person.
He cant possibly take a commercial flight and mix with the plebs can he?
And, whilst I, m here.
Obesity is spreading. There should be a CO2 offset tax for those with over 30 bmi. (sliding scale starting at 30?)They eat like pigs, use more fuel going anywhere, have greater burden on NHS and break chairs. A couple this morning sat near us must have had a combined weight of 50 stone, at breakfast ate more than I, d eat in 2 days, wobbled off and got in disability scooters to move their fat asses 50 yards. French aswell.(I,m in Cape Verde this week, working)
Human race is flawed and heading for disaster. We, re fecked. All of us.
Accepted BMI isnt a very good guide, perhaps use subscapular subcutaneous fat measurement... Tax over 5 inches would be a start.
For obesity.. A good measure might be simple collar size. Anything over 17 is borderline, 18 is getting into sleep apnea territory.
And yes, Obesity is growing seriously with the French. Getting quite noticeable on the beaches.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
View attachment 33749

This is problem with the lecturing type these days.
Private jet to Davos 6 tonnes of CO2.
Commercial flight 0.19 per person.
He cant possibly take a commercial flight and mix with the plebs can he?
And, whilst I, m here.
Obesity is spreading. There should be a CO2 offset tax for those with over 30 bmi. (sliding scale starting at 30?)They eat like pigs, use more fuel going anywhere, have greater burden on NHS and break chairs. A couple this morning sat near us must have had a combined weight of 50 stone, at breakfast ate more than I, d eat in 2 days, wobbled off and got in disability scooters to move their fat asses 50 yards. French aswell.(I,m in Cape Verde this week, working)
Human race is flawed and heading for disaster. We, re fecked. All of us.
Accepted BMI isnt a very good guide, perhaps use subscapular subcutaneous fat measurement... Tax over 5 inches would be a start.
I reckon it would be a safe bet that Greta Thunberg has caused more harm to the planet over the last two years than most of us on here. This is where they always fail, every time.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
But mice are the bad guys! They have no urinary sphincter so pee continuously while walking all over our foodstuff, how much badder could they get?

Cats are the good guys, they not only pee where they should and cover it over, they also kill those evil mice.
I'd rather share my house with a cat than a mouse, thank you.

I do share my house with a cat so I don't have a mouse around!

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
500 jobs going at Jaguar Land Rover. Another Brexit bonus. It won’t be long before Toyota, Nissan and Honda follow.

Before anyone says, it’s the Japs moving production back to Japan, the number of jobs in the car industry is increasing in the EU area. There is a reason for this and it’s simple to understand. The U.K. won’t be a good place to make things after we leave the EU. These companies are starting to get out now. Many more will follow. Brexit bonus.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
But mice are the bad guys! They have no urinary sphincter so pee continuously while walking all over our foodstuff, how much badder could they get?

Cats are the good guys, they not only pee where they should and cover it over, they also kill those evil mice.
Fair point. I had always thought that the politically correct would support the mouse because he was the oppressed one; however, one could argue that the cat was always the loser so he was actually the underdog.

When I was Uni, we had lunchtime Freds (Fred Quimby) in the Union on a Thursday. They were always absolutely packed out, and everybody cheered for the cat and booed the mouse while chucking paper aeroplanes at the screen. If you got one to hit the screen or fly down nicely from the back of the auditorium onto the stage, you got a special cheer. This was complete escapism from normal life and was a release for many of the tensions that poor, hard-working students had. I guess they don't have these sort of things anymore, which is why they all seem to be so miserable.

Last edited:
  • Agree

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
500 jobs going at Jaguar Land Rover. Another Brexit bonus. It won’t be long before Toyota, Nissan and Honda follow.

Before anyone says, it’s the Japs moving production back to Japan, the number of jobs in the car industry is increasing in the EU area. There is a reason for this and it’s simple to understand. The U.K. won’t be a good place to make things after we leave the EU. These companies are starting to get out now. Many more will follow. Brexit bonus.
It's nothing to do with Brexit. They need to cut costs because they're losing money. They're making losses because they're making the wrong type of cars at the moment:

"The car maker said last year it planned to cut 4,500 jobs globally as part of a £2.5bn plan to reverse losses. "

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I agree, they are definitely starting to move out of the UK and Honda's Swindon production has already shut down and been moved back to to Japan. That will be a growing factor since the EU have agreed the tariffs on their cars from Japan reducing to zero over five years. Indeed Nissan have already scrapped the plans to build the current X-trail model here and it will be made in Japan and shipped from there. They and Toyota in the UK have also put a hold on investment until their future position regarding Brexit is known.

I see alot of our Japanese production moving to Japan over that five year period, and if we have any sort of tariff on the cars we make for the EU, it will all go.

Meanwhile PSA (Peugeot, Citroen and DS) have reversed what they originally said to the government to reassure them when taking over Vauxhall. Back then they said they would use Vauxhall as a base for e-car production, but their first e-car, the e-Corsa, is being made entirely in Spain.

Last edited:

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I'd rather share my house with a cat than a mouse, thank you.

I do share my house with a cat so I don't have a mouse around!
Cats make you live longer:

Here's the cat that helped me live as long as I have and sadly missed, may he rest in peace:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
It's nothing to do with Brexit. They need to cut costs because they're losing money. They're making losses because they're making the wrong type of cars at the moment:

"The car maker said last year it planned to cut 4,500 jobs globally as part of a £2.5bn plan to reverse losses. "
Then why are jobs in the car industry increasing across the rest of the EU, but shrinking in Brexit Britain? It’s my belief that they are preparing for events that are coming.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Cats make you live longer:

Here's the cat that helped me live as long as I have and sadly missed, may he rest in peace:
View attachment 33751
Two can play... :)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
are you absolutely sure?
I, m certain its Cape Verde. Said so on my tickets, I, m sure.. But could be filey,but its 25 degrees.???? And locals are friendly, so that rules Filey out.
If its noot Cape Verde, I, ll be getting sack.
And yes, they were French. Wife and I have been saying for a while AngloAmerican obesity bug is spreading. Its taken hold in France now.
Swathes of France love American lifestyle. We are often in Perpignan around May, there is an anual "American" themed rally. Harleys, Coyboys, Elvis, Indians and plenty of fat arses in Star Spangled banner regalia. Its madness and seems quite incongruous. You can even ride a bull. I never thought McDonalds would thrive in France but they do.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
For obesity.. A good measure might be simple collar size. Anything over 17 is borderline, 18 is getting into sleep apnea territory.
And yes, Obesity is growing seriously with the French. Getting quite noticeable on the beaches.
Errr. Not quite old man. I have an 18 inch neck.... And a 27 BMI. Thick necks run in our family.
Subcutaneous fat is most reliable. BMI is seriously flawed. You can tell Mike Tyson he should be paying fat tax with his BMI and big neck.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Then why are jobs in the car industry increasing across the rest of the EU, but shrinking in Brexit Britain? It’s my belief that they are preparing for events that are coming.
because they're making the right type of cars in those factories. A guy from LRJ Marketing dept told me that Greta Thunberg is doing immense damage to LRJ sales. I guess losing only 500 jobs is a small price to pay for communism.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Swathes of France love American lifestyle. We are often in Perpignan around May, there is an anual "American" themed rally. Harleys, Coyboys, Elvis, Indians and plenty of fat arses in Star Spangled banner regalia. Its madness and seems quite incongruous. You can even ride a bull. I never thought McDonalds would thrive in France but they do.
I saw the first signs of this trend back in the mid 1960s with Wimpeys in Paris, packed with French teens and twenties eating burgers and fries. They were obviously preparing the ground for such as McDonalds to easily enter.

Reactions: Zlatan

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I saw the first signs of this trend back in the mid 1960s with Wimpeys in Paris, packed with French teens and twenties eating burgers and fries. They were obviously preparing the ground for such as McDonalds to easily enter.
When was the last time you saw a Wimpey Bar? They still have one in the parade of shops adjacent to the bus station in Basildon town centre. It's been there 70 years. Every other shop in the parade has changed during that time.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Put simply enough that even Boris should be able to understand
In the independent
"
Brexit: UK will lose market access if it ditches Brussels regulations, says EU chief Von der Leyen
Ursula von der Leyen confirmed trade talks will start in February

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When was the last time you saw a Wimpey Bar? They still have one in the parade of shops adjacent to the bus station in Basildon town centre. It's been there 70 years. Every other shop in the parade has changed during that time.
Agreed, but not relevant to the point I was making about the French inclination towards US cultural styles, even in food.

How long ago was the point of my post.

Advertisers