Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Yes, I agree on all points. To pretend that face masks don't help as the government has been doing is ridiculous. For decades the populations of Oriental countries have used simple masks against spreading all the previous virus pandemics and even the common cold, to great effect.

It's no accident that they are making so much better progress against Covid-19 than we are, and I'm sure their face masks have been an important factor.
Im beginning to think this virus gets into the air from an infected person simply exhaling, as well as sneezing or coughing.

I suspect that mask effectiveness has been downplayed to prevent mass panic buying thus depleting the supply ti health professionals even further.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
It's the trolley and basket handles which are the weak link, with them in rotating use by customers and I'm certain not being adequately disinfected, given their huge numbers.
At my local Sainsbury's last night there was a system of barriers preventing shoppers picking their own trolley.
A member of staff was sanitising the trolley handles and giving the trolleys to customers as they entered the shop.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The DUP are popular after their earlier tweet

DUP politician says coronavirus a result of angering God over abortion
A wag tweeted

"
Alright who put 50p in the DUP again

Face with rolling eyes

Face with rolling eyes

• :D
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Matt Hancock just said, with regard to NHS supplies, that UK understands supply lines better than anyone due to no-deal Brexit preparations... ...So, this NHS supply crisis reflects our best state of readiness for no-deal Brexit. Not impressive.

As John Laurie famously said "Wur Doomed!"

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Managing masks:

9 thoughts on “COVID-19 – do masks help?”

Mister Heiss
    April 2, 2020 at 3:41 pm

Would steam-ironing a cloth mask be adequate to kill any coronavirus on them?
    Might be an awful lot quicker and easier than washing every time – so long as what they are made from can take it.

Zoë
      April 2, 2020 at 3:46 pm

Hi there
      Top thought. This is what Dr Eric Westman thinks will be a good plan too. He suggested 10 secs of steam ironing. We’ll all have super tidy masks eh?!
      Many thanks for this
      Best wishes – Zoe

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If an advanced alien race has been observing us, NOW is the time to send help. Thanks.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So Farage is planning a new party but his old one is still taking £25 off registered supporters and renewing subscriptions ... explain please @brexitparty_uk
My response
oldgroaner@oldgroaner
It's a great way of tracking victims of the Stupidity Pandemic

• Informative
Reactions: Wicky and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Nice chap. Wonder if they can find a cell with suitable cellmates?

A man who coughed on a police officer and claimed to have coronavirus has been jailed for six months.

Adam Lewis, 55, told the officer: "I am Covid and I am going to cough in your face and you will get it."

The Met said the officer had been flagged down by a member of the public during a cycle patrol in Westminster when it happened on Tuesday afternoon.

Lewis was sentenced by Westminster magistrates after being convicted of assaulting an emergency worker.

Reactions: flecc and POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Im beginning to think this virus gets into the air from an infected person simply exhaling, as well as sneezing or coughing.

I suspect that mask effectiveness has been downplayed to prevent mass panic buying thus depleting the supply ti health professionals even further.
Of course it does. The term is shedding . Every breath out exhales saturated water vapour oxygen depleted air and small amounts of CO2 , other molecules also come out .. ketones and of course thousands of viruses .( It seems difficult to actually a figure of tge amount of expelled particles in the 500 ml of an normal breath.)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Pontefract might have the answer!

Another compound from herbal remedies recruited to control COVID-19 is diammonium glycyrrhizinate, an extract of liquorice roots. Liquorice, Glycyrrhiza glabra, has long been employed against coughs and colds as well as to settle disturbed digestion, while diammonium glycyrrhizinate has anti-inflammatory activity and is used to treat liver damage caused by hepatitis B. Professor Hong Ding of Wuhan University has proposed a combination of diammonium glycyrrhizinate and vitamin C as a COVID-19 therapy. This approach became popular through social media and reporting in publications such as the Health Times (Jiankang Shibao). It has not been officially recommended, but clinical trials have recently been approved.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-020-0628-0

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It is all very well people blaming Cheltenham, but they still chose to go despite the evidence that was even then appearing. Even were I interested in the geegees, I'd have given it a miss:

Cheltenham faces criticism after racegoers suffer Covid-19 symptoms

• Jockey Club insists decision to go ahead in line with guidance
  • Andrew Parker Bowles and Charlie Austin show symptoms

Reactions: POLLY

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Pontefract might have the answer!

Another compound from herbal remedies recruited to control COVID-19 is diammonium glycyrrhizinate, an extract of liquorice roots. Liquorice, Glycyrrhiza glabra, has long been employed against coughs and colds as well as to settle disturbed digestion, while diammonium glycyrrhizinate has anti-inflammatory activity and is used to treat liver damage caused by hepatitis B. Professor Hong Ding of Wuhan University has proposed a combination of diammonium glycyrrhizinate and vitamin C as a COVID-19 therapy. This approach became popular through social media and reporting in publications such as the Health Times (Jiankang Shibao). It has not been officially recommended, but clinical trials have recently been approved.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-020-0628-0
And of course a cyanide pill will immediately terminate the infection, thus "flattening the curve," reducing the need for expensive equipment and being cheap enough to win government approval.

In the meantime I shall send out for a quarter of Pontefract Cakes.

Reactions: oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Of course it does. The term is shedding . Every breath out exhales saturated water vapour oxygen depleted air and small amounts of CO2 , other molecules also come out .. ketones and of course thousands of viruses .( It seems difficult to actually a figure of tge amount of expelled particles in the 500 ml of an normal breath.)
‘This is not the impression being presented by the government though. Their message seems to centre around sneezing or coughing, which is how that they arrived at the 2 metre rule. I am beginning to think this Covid-19 is more akin to measles in terms of infection transmission, in that it can remain airborne and active for longer than is being suggested, and it can be carried greater distances than 2 metres in airflow / air currents. At the moment it is being presented to us that only splatter from a cough or sneeze is a threat.

There is a great deal of dangerous / incorrect information being put out by official organisations. Prior to the lock down, British Cycling were advising 2 metre spacing between riders. Well at 15 mph, you are travelling at over 7 m/s. If the front rider sneeze, at least two riders behind will be contaminated at 15 mph.

I think the general 2 metre spacing in place now is too close. I’m only comfortable with 10 metres, plus a mask.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And of course a cyanide pill will immediately terminate the infection, thus "flattening the curve," reducing the need for expensive equipment and being cheap enough to win government approval.

In the meantime I shall send out for a quarter of Pontefract Cakes.
Another question - undertakers have been given some advice on covering faces before moving bodies. But just how long could they remain infectious? (Which is really to question how fast cyanide pills would work.)

Reactions: POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
‘This is not the impression being presented by the government though. Their message seems to centre around sneezing or coughing, which is how that they arrived at the 2 metre rule. I am beginning to think this Covid-19 is more akin to measles in terms of infection transmission, in that it can remain airborne and be carried greater distances than 2 metres in airflow / air currents.

There is a great deal of dangerous / incorrect information being put out by official organisations. Prior to the lock down, British Cycling were advising 2 metre spacing between riders. Well at 15 mph, you are travelling at over 7 m/s. If the front rider sneeze, at least two riders behind will be contaminated at 15 mph.

I think the general 2 metre spacing in place now is too close. I’m only comfortable with 10 metres, plus a mask.
As before, there needs to be a sense of realism here. The key point about getting an infection is being bombarded by lots of virus particles . Even absorbing one or two will be unlikely to cause infection ,and were it to, the natural body defenses will cope. It is if they get overwhelmed , and cannot produce antibodies faster than the virus factory , that one gets sick. That concept is viral load.
Now even if a person is producing say 100K particles per breath of 1 litre every second, and a person is 2 metres away .. the volume of air in a 2 metre radius sphere is . 10 cubic metres . A litre is 1/1000 of cubic metre , so that viral load is reduced 10,000 fold . Obviously if you stay in that proximity long enough , you will absorb enough..
Of course futher away the better.. as the intensity drops off as the cube of the separation .. except of course for directed flow.. like blowing directly into someones face.

Last edited:

Advertisers