Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Maybe, maybe not. It could pay off:

Information Link
It does however include this caveat
"
Despite the findings, researchers and public health experts have cautioned that it's not likely COVID-19 transmission will come to a halt this summer.

Sajadi said, "People want to know if this is going to go away in the summer," but "seasonal respiratory viruses never really go away."

Hmm, definitely not definite, if you know what I mean! :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How did Cummings miss out from his timeline being spotted out and about to an Abba soundtrack on April 5th

A witness said they were going past the Cummings family home on 5 April on their regular exercise route when they heard Abba’s Dancing Queen playing loudly from the property.

“I got the shock of my life, as I looked over to the gates and saw him,” they said. “There was a child, presumably his little boy, running around in front. I recognised Dominic Cummings, he’s a very distinctive figure.”

Yet according to his wife's account, he "couldn't get out of bed".

"Day in, day out for 10 days he lay doggo with a high fever and spasms that made the muscles lump and twitch in his legs,"
That was through miming to "The dancing Queen"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It does however include this caveat
"
Despite the findings, researchers and public health experts have cautioned that it's not likely COVID-19 transmission will come to a halt this summer.

Sajadi said, "People want to know if this is going to go away in the summer," but "seasonal respiratory viruses never really go away."

Hmm, definitely not definite, if you know what I mean! :cool:
But we don't need it to go away to pay off, just reduce enough for it to pay off economically. It's not going to go away without a vaccine.

I notice on the excess deaths chart you just posted that the two very hot and dry countries of Israel and South Africa are on the negative side, zero excess deaths and instead less deaths than usual.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No it didn't, they were two different things. The circa three million have that entitlement due to living there before the handback to China, it equally caused a fuss here when it was announced in 1999. The Tory press kicked off and announced we'd be flooded with Chinese. In fact virtually none of them came here then. The few who did were very welcome, they'd been loyal British citizens during a hundred years.

The 350,000 are British Nationals among them who hold aBritish Passport and will be granted visa rights.
BBC reports that this is a change - "new rights"!

There are 300,000 BNO passport holders in Hong Kong who already have the right to visit the UK for up to six months without a visa.

But the Home Office confirmed that the proposed new rights, allowing those eligible to spend 12 months in the UK without a visa, could be offered to anyone with BNO status as long as they applied for and were granted the passport - opening it up to 2.9m Hong Kong residents.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Can anyone remember Matt Handcock’s pledge to deliver medicines and PPE supplies by drone? How are we doing with it?
He has been working on that during his delivery in the daily briefings.

I can find lots about the first drone flight to the Isle of Wight - then silence (or just repeats).

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I wrote to my MP on Thursday evening. I don't expect that I will hear back, but I've said my bit.

Dear,

Dominic Cummings

I have just checked to see if you have stated your position regarding the activities of Dominic Cummings last month. In particular, I am interested to know your thoughts regarding his decision to take his family from London to Durham whilst believing that they were infected with Coronavirus, and his 60 mile drive to test his eyesight. I see that 61 of your Conservative MP colleagues have discovered that they have a backbone and have publicly criticised the actions of Dominic Cummings, some calling for his resignation or dismissal. You are keeping a low profile on the matter. Do you think that taking people infected with Coronavirus from London to Durham contravenes the very clear message from government to stay at home? Do you think it is acceptable to drive a motor vehicle with your family onboard if you suspect that your vision may be impaired? Is it even a good idea to do any of these things?

I found the support given to Dominic Cummings by Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Matt Hancock and other senior ministers to be insulting. They clearly think that the British people are stupid. The level of absurdity of Mr Cummings’s account is equivalent to what you would expect to hear from a schoolboy trying to explain to the headmaster why he has been caught in possession of a cigarette. It’s preposterous.

For a moment, I surrender to the government’s view that I am extremely stupid, a real blockhead. I will now assume that Dominic Cummings’s journey to Barnard Castle, with his wife and child onboard, was necessary to test his theory that he may be unfit to drive due to impaired vision. Let’s call it, “The Cummings Test.” Incidentally, The Cummings Test has been endorsed by Michael Gove, who has stated that he has taken it!

As my MP, I need you to furnish me with more detail regarding exactly how The Cummings Test works. Several journalists tried to seek clarity at the Downing Street Briefing on Thursday, but Mr Johnson forbid the scientists from answering, which seems odd because we are supposed to be following the science. He did however indicate that The Cummings Test is a valid and legal procedure which he supports. So far, I understand that to take The Cummings Test, I put the people I love and hold most dear in a car, or other suitable motor vehicle. I then set off and drive on a public highway in order to prove to myself that my eyesight is defective. What are the parameters for success or failure of this test? I assume that at the conclusion I must check the vehicle’s radiator grille for debris and if I find articles such as a bicycle, an old lady, a trombone or a wheelchair, this may be an indication that my eyesight is below the standard required for driving? What if there is just pieces of roadside furniture lodged in the grille, a bus stop sign, litter bin or park bench for example, can I carry on driving? Would you be kind enough to enquire with the Department for Transport on my behalf and clear up these points please?

There may be other stupid people in the constituency of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx who are sceptical about The Cummings Test. Therefore, it may be beneficial to make a statement on your website regarding its validity and the pass / fail criteria. I think the United States did something similar after the President indicated that injecting yourself with bleach and inserting a high power ultra-violet light into your bottom might mitigate some of the symptoms of Coronavirus.

Keep up the good work. XXXXXXX needs you!

Yours sincerely

Barry Shittpeas

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
BBC reports that this is a change - "new rights"!

There are 300,000 BNO passport holders in Hong Kong who already have the right to visit the UK for up to six months without a visa.

But the Home Office confirmed that the proposed new rights, allowing those eligible to spend 12 months in the UK without a visa, could be offered to anyone with BNO status as long as they applied for and were granted the passport - opening it up to 2.9m Hong Kong residents.
It is not new rights, they are identical to those of over 20 years ago. Then they were over 3 million, now reduced a little to 2.9 million.

Then as now they had the right to travel to the UK and if China failed to honour the agreement agreed with Governor Chris Patten we could grant them the right to stay here.

No change.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I wrote to my MP on Thursday evening. I don't expect that I will hear back, but I've said my bit.

Dear,

Dominic Cummings

I have just checked to see if you have stated your position regarding the activities of Dominic Cummings last month. In particular, I am interested to know your thoughts regarding his decision to take his family from London to Durham whilst believing that they were infected with Coronavirus, and his 60 mile drive to test his eyesight. I see that 61 of your Conservative MP colleagues have discovered that they have a backbone and have publicly criticised the actions of Dominic Cummings, some calling for his resignation or dismissal. You are keeping a low profile on the matter. Do you think that taking people infected with Coronavirus from London to Durham contravenes the very clear message from government to stay at home? Do you think it is acceptable to drive a motor vehicle with your family onboard if you suspect that your vision may be impaired? Is it even a good idea to do any of these things?

I found the support given to Dominic Cummings by Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Matt Hancock and other senior ministers to be insulting. They clearly think that the British people are stupid. The level of absurdity of Mr Cummings’s account is equivalent to what you would expect to hear from a schoolboy trying to explain to the headmaster why he has been caught in possession of a cigarette. It’s preposterous.

For a moment, I surrender to the government’s view that I am extremely stupid, a real blockhead. I will now assume that Dominic Cummings’s journey to Barnard Castle, with his wife and child onboard, was necessary to test his theory that he may be unfit to drive due to impaired vision. Let’s call it, “The Cummings Test.” Incidentally, The Cummings Test has been endorsed by Michael Gove, who has stated that he has taken it!

As my MP, I need you to furnish me with more detail regarding exactly how The Cummings Test works. Several journalists tried to seek clarity at the Downing Street Briefing on Thursday, but Mr Johnson forbid the scientists from answering, which seems odd because we are supposed to be following the science. He did however indicate that The Cummings Test is a valid and legal procedure which he supports. So far, I understand that to take The Cummings Test, I put the people I love and hold most dear in a car, or other suitable motor vehicle. I then set off and drive on a public highway in order to prove to myself that my eyesight is defective. What are the parameters for success or failure of this test? I assume that at the conclusion I must check the vehicle’s radiator grille for debris and if I find articles such as a bicycle, an old lady, a trombone or a wheelchair, this may be an indication that my eyesight is below the standard required for driving? What if there is just pieces of roadside furniture lodged in the grille, a bus stop sign, litter bin or park bench for example, can I carry on driving? Would you be kind enough to enquire with the Department for Transport on my behalf and clear up these points please?

There may be other stupid people in the constituency of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx who are sceptical about The Cummings Test. Therefore, it may be beneficial to make a statement on your website regarding its validity and the pass / fail criteria. I think the United States did something similar after the President indicated that injecting yourself with bleach and inserting a high power ultra-violet light into your bottom might mitigate some of the symptoms of Coronavirus.

Keep up the good work. XXXXXXX needs you!

Yours sincerely

Barry Shittpeas
I have written to my MP who has broken cover and said that he is not best please by Cummings.

Also wrote to my MSs and councillor re the Wales restrictions.

If you have people withjin five miels you can go meet them, in gardens and parks.

But car parks at parks (and beaches) are all closed. And if you do not have family & close friends nearby you are get no loosening at all.

Particularly difficult to accept when McDonald's are going to open - with (I am sure) people driving many miles. There are only two in the whole county. I expect bad queues and signficiant impact on our ability to drive anywhere (or return) - only the one road...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe, maybe not. It could pay off:

Information Link
I am aware of the influence of temperature and humidity, when the UCL model came out. The trough between the April peak and the December peaks in the UCL model may be helped by weather factor.
The latest 7-day average fatalities is 300.
By gradual loosening from Monday, that number will go up.
Our government seems to have accepted some long term losses higher than 300 a day, much worse when winter comes.
Do you think we should or shouldn't?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I am aware of the influence of temperature and humidity, when the UCL model came out. The trough between the April peak and the December peaks in the UCL model may be helped by weather factor.
The latest 7-day average fatalities is 300.
By gradual loosening from Monday, that number will go up.
Our government seems to have accepted some long term losses higher than 300 a day, much worse when winter comes.
How have really hot and sunny countries been doing? Kuwait? Iraq? Iran? Saudi?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How have really hot and sunny countries been doing? Kuwait? Iraq? Iran? Saudi?
can't be worse than we do.
Covid fatalities so far:
Kuwait: 194
Iraq: 185
Iran: 7,677
Saudi: 458
UK: 38,161

We should look at Italy regarding easing of lockdown.
They waited until their daily new cases come down to clearly below 1,000 a day.
We still run at 2,000-2,500 a day.
I also like the French model, with colour coded regions.
Their daily fatality rate is around 75.
Spain: 2 a day.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm staying open minded about that. This issue isn't as cut and dried as it might seem since there's so much we don't understand.

We've seen Sweden adopt a totally cavalier attitude to lockdown and social distancing and not suffer anywhere near as badly as the doom mongers predicted.

There's also history of viral declines for completely unknown reasons, just going away.

And numerous other factors like those of temperature, dryness and pollution which all have some effect.

And of course the potential economic benefit.

So it's worth the experiment, ignoring that there will be some excess deaths, which will mainly be of the most vulnerable. We need to "man up" and stop being excessively emotional about this. Life itself is dangerous and utterly unpredictable and we should be more ready to accept that it has no fixed duration.

Remember I say this as someone at the peak point of danger, at 84 years old, happily accepting the risk for the greater good.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They probably only include their own nationals...
You really are such a doom monger, only ever looking at the negative whether exaggerating the risk of some from Hong Kong coming here or taking the worst slant on this Middle Eastern data.

I'm surprised you bother to get out of bed in the morning!

Reactions: tommie

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There's also history of viral declines for completely unknown reasons, just going away.
it's becoming just another endemic flu through mutation but may take decades to lose its high kill rate.
You may not worry too much but many of us on this forum are in the high risk group and we are not ready just yet.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You may not worry too much but many of us on this forum are in the high risk group and we are not ready just yet.
No-one is ready, I still enjoy a happy and productive life, but my penultimate paragraph applies to all of us.

Crippling the future is also no answer.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We've seen Sweden adopt a totally cavalier attitude to lockdown and social distancing and not suffer anywhere near as badly as the doom mongers predicted.
there are other factors like how quickly and easily can you get tested? are you living / shopping/ working in cramped spaces? how clean are public transport? Can you afford to stop working if you have symptoms or just put it down to a bout of common cold?
I can't see many rich farmers getting Covid.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there are other factors like how quickly and easily can you get tested? are you living / shopping/ working in cramped spaces? how clean are public transport? Can you afford to stop working if you have symptoms or just put it down to a bout of common cold?
I can't see many rich farmers getting Covid.
But on the other hand Sweden is very cold country and has accepted a high proportion of BAME immigrants, both predicting more negative outcomes.

All part of a conundrum we know very little about, in which it's wise to experiment to find out more.

Advertisers