Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just an interesting Brexit observation. Today is the first time since March, I have driven in a northerly direction from Dublin. During lockdown there was extremely limited travel and my car usage was minimal.
Now I am not familiar with the UKs vehicle licence plate sequencing and letters used to denote year of registration. I am however familiar with Northern Ireland registration .. a 4 digit sequence and 3 letters ,one of which is an I or a Z .
Well I started noticing that virtually No UK registered car had the EU normal circle of stars or the logo identification of UK, GB or NI . All the rear number plates looked fresh or new. Actually I did see 2 cars out of the 50 or 60 I observed .. One was a mainland UK with the GB and another was a Scottish car ..with GB and a small saltare. The majority, as one might expect were NI
I am sure that the majority of these cars were more than a year old , so would originally have had the standard EU plate , but somehow and somewhere the message has gone out to replace plates. The irony is that they are now making themselves illegal ,as they are in a different country and without national identification. So they have forked out perhaps 15 sterling a head, for an unnecessary operation.
EU plates will no longer be legal. We will need to use classic GB plates.

I think use of EU plates reduced considerably over the past few years - not sure when it started. 2016?

There are quite a lot which use the space for another purpose such as a CYM ID.

Added:
Not legal in the sense of not legally sufficient to identify the country of registration of a vehicle. Not in the sense of it being illegal to continue to have them fitted.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
EU plates will no longer be legal. We will need to use classic GB plates.

I think use of EU plates reduced considerably over the past few years - not sure when it started. 2016?

There are quite a lot which use the space for another purpose such as a CYM ID.
Any NI or Mainland UK vehicle ,when used in an EU country has to have national identification codes on the rear of the car. Manifestly none of the cars I noticed yesterday ..with 2 exceptions , in RoI were legal.
Just as a note for clarification... Can you identify the relevant piece of UK legislation which REQUIRED UK vehicle owners to change their licence plates...and incur extra costs?

• Disagree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Any NI or Mainland UK vehicle ,when used in an EU country has to have national identification codes on the rear of the car. Manifestly none of the cars I noticed yesterday ..with 2 exceptions , in RoI were legal.
Just as a note for clarification... Can you identify the relevant piece of UK legislation which REQUIRED UK vehicle owners to change their licence plates...and incur extra costs?
The following advice was on the UK government site for a no deal brexit - but is now withdrawn. And not yet replaced.

Where is the RoI legislation which says that UK vehicles need GB plates in RoI? The UK government seems convinced that is not the case.

The page redirects to a sort-of update which then points at the AA web site - which is woeful.

GB stickers and number plates

You should display a GB sticker on the rear of your vehicle and trailer, even if you currently have a number plate which includes the GB identifier.

You will need a GB sticker even if you have a number plate with the Euro symbol and Great Britain national identifier.

You are not required to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit

When I said EU plates will no longer be legal - they will be allowed to be carried but have no legal status in identifying the originating country.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The page redirects to a sort-of update which then points at the AA web site - which is woeful.

When I said EU plates will no longer be legal - they will be allowed to be carried but have no legal status in identifying the originating country.
That's obviously correct since from October our new electric cars will have the number plate space where it said GB as a Green Panel instead to identify it as fully electric.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That's obviously correct since from October our new electric cars will have the number plate space where it said GB as a Green Panel instead to identify it as fully electric.
Will you be allowed to change yours? (I assume so.) And is there any reason you would choose to do so?

I can't help thinking that using that panel for country of registration was quite a good idea. It might have made sense for a pan-Europe agreement to recognise that instead of needing GB plates. And extend to RoW as and when feasible. Seems crazy that this important piece of information isn't on an official plate (with the obvious place being the registration plate) - just a vinyl sticker which is only associated with your vehicle by adhesive.

I'm not clear yet whether visitors to the UK will need country of registration plates (like GB plates) or will we allow the EU style plates to be valid?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The following advice was on the UK government site for a no deal brexit - but is now withdrawn. And not yet replaced.

Where is the RoI legislation which says that UK vehicles need GB plates in RoI? The UK government seems convinced that is not the case.

1949 Geneva Convention on international road traffic and later the Vienna 1968 Convention .. note the integrated country designation on the number plate was actually explicitly excluded in the 1949 version ,and I think in 1968 and subsequent EEA /EU regulations allowed a derogation. Now since Ireland or RoI was actually declared in 1949, the UK might just have missed that detail.
I actually don't expect any prosecutions to follow if NI drivers come south ... We know their number plate convention ,so its as clear as day where they come from. A bigger problem has been in integrating penalty points across the two jurisdictions. I only brought the point up because of the newness of the plates.
But and really being pedantic ,as the UK has now left the EU and EEA , the post 1968 derogations of having the country designation integrated into the numberplate possibly falls, and any French visitors to Cornwall might be in breach of UK law.!.

Last edited:

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
1949 Geneva Convention on international road traffic and later the Vienna 1968 Convention .. note the integrated country designation on the number plate was actually explicitly excluded in the 1949 version ,and I think in 1968 and subsequent EEA /EU regulations allowed a derogation. Now since Ireland or RoI was actually declared in 1949, the UK might just have missed that detail.
I actually don't expect any prosecutions to follow if NI drivers come south ... We know their number plate convention ,so its as clear as day where they come from. A bigger problem has been in integrating penalty points across the two jurisdictions. I only brought the point up because of the newness of the plates.
But and really being pedantic ,as the UK has now left the EU and EEA , the post 1968 derogations of having the country designation integrated into the numberplate possibly falls, and any French visitors to Cornwall might be in breach of UK law.!.
The UK isn't a signatory to the convention. Another bit of withdrawn no deal brexit web information:

1. Introduction
As part of our preparations for exiting the EU, we intend to ratify the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/road-haulage-and-driving-in-the-eu-post-brexit/ratifying-the-1968-vienna-convention

I assume that, unless expressly agreed to the contrary, every non-UK vehicle on the roads of the UK will require a country of registration plate - though I further assume an exemption for RoI.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
The UK isn't a signatory to the convention. Another bit of withdrawn no deal brexit web information:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/road-haulage-and-driving-in-the-eu-post-brexit/ratifying-the-1968-vienna-convention

I assume that, unless expressly agreed to the contrary, every non-UK vehicle on the roads of the UK will require a country of registration plate - though I further assume an exemption for RoI.
Whether the UK require it or not, all RoI vehicles will be adhering to the EU modified Vienna convention as per 2411/1998 EU. ..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Will you be allowed to change yours? (I assume so.) And is there any reason you would choose to do so?
Yes, but I'd only bother if and when that gave a material advantage such as being able to drive in bus lanes to avoid congestion or free parking.

To allow such advantages many countries have coloured number plates for e-cars but usually it's the whole background of the plate which has the colour. We've chosen to only have that left hand strip coloured.

• Informative

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I’ve just read about Dawn Butler’s imaginary racist incident. It’s heartening to know that racism is at such a low, and almost undetectable level, that try as she might, Butler was unable to find a real racist incident to get angry about. Instead, she invented her own, convinced herself it was real, and then got angry about that. Bingo! :D

Mind you, her son is involved with illegal drugs, so I suppose she doesn’t want da Babylon sniffing around. Throwing around a few false racism accusations against the police should keep them out of the hood and her yard.

When is Starmer going to get his pressure washer out and clean these idiots from the Labour Party?

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I’ve just read about Dawn Butler’s imaginary racist incident. It’s heartening to know that racism is at such a low, and almost undetectable level, that try as she might, Butler was unable to find a real racist incident to get angry about. Instead, she invented her own, convinced herself it was real, and then got angry about that. Bingo! :D

Mind you, her son is involved with illegal drugs, so I suppose she doesn’t want da Babylon sniffing around. Throwing around a few false racism accusations against the police should keep them out of the hood and her yard.

When is Starmer going to get his pressure washer out and clean these idiots from the Labour Party?
And in response you've done a Kenny Everett "angry of Mayfair"

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Telegraph
"
Test people arriving from red list countries to end 'quarantine roulette', Government told
The Government was told by Sage scientists two months ago that testing travellers could help avoid blanket measures

Naturally they took no notice
after all "Who needs experts"?

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
In the Excess
"
Brexiteers warned they risk feeling ‘disappointed’ after David Frost’s trade deal remark
BREXITEERS have been told they might be left "disappointed" and may be forced accept a warning from the UK's chief Brexit negotiator David Frost, that Britain may not achieve all of its objectives in a future trade agreement with the European Union.

Oh Dear the easist trade deal in the world has capsized

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I never knew I was indulging on a dangerous sport
"
Simon Cowell 'is BANNED from all dangerous hobbies by girlfriend Lauren Silverman' after breaking his back in freak electric bike accident

Must be true because it's in the Daily Mail, innit?
This will do wonders for Ebike sales among the daredevil youth..
Woosh, include a Hells angels helmet with each bike you sell :oops:

• :D
Reactions: Nev and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I have just seen an interview with a **** arriving back, by plane, from holiday in France. He was moaning about having to quarantine for two 14 days. He is currently on furlough, and may be called back to work within the next two weeks. Now he is worried that he won’t be available for work.

Why don’t these ***** realise that when on furlough, they are being paid to do a job. That job is to help stop the spread of coronavirus by not mixing with large groups of people on a plane . Going on a European holiday is not helping that objective. These ******* idiots should be made to repay all of their furlough money and be summoned back to work / laid off immediately.

In reality, I can’t see many people sticking to the quarantine rules. Give it a few weeks and they will be moaning that granny is dead.

Last edited:

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Coronavirus isn’t all bad news. The two Assured Shorthold Tenancies I’ve renewed since March have yielded a 17 and 20 % rent rise. The demand for rented accommodation is very high. I’ve found tenants within a few days on both. Property prices are also booming at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev

Advertisers