Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No-one said it was a hit and run
BS suggested it.
I like Danidl’s suggestion. Give the youth a chance to report himself. That would count very well in his favour and he might learn a lesson for the future. I’m going to pass that on.
your brother-in-law did not say that the youth was driving while being disqualified or without insurance. But if your brother-in-law wants the youth to report himself, what will he say to the police?
If you look at the obligation to report an accident to the police, both your bother-in-law and the youth have equal obligation.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
I don't think we have much of an idea as to what happens to people when they are re-infected compared with original infection. I have read suggestions that it might be less serious, or more serious, or (as so much) variable with some less and some more seriously affected. Add onto that varying gaps between original and re-infections. With or without tiny amounts of Covid-19 viruses (below infectious capability) wafting around.
Yes I think your right. Although anecdotally there have been several reports of people being re-infected I think I am right in saying there have only been two cases that scientists are absolutely sure have happened. One in Hong Kong and one in the USA.

In one case the second infection was not as bad as the first. In the second it was much worse for the individual the second time around. With so little data to work with though, we are still really in the dark and I think we might need another 6 to 9 months before its clear how likely second infections are and how serious they are likely to be.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
As I see it Sweden did well because they did as advised with everything. In the UK we seemed to do everything possible to maximise transmission, open up pubs & clubs re-open schools, pack the beaches and parks and organise rock concerts with the end result we now see a drastic rise in infections.
I wonder how long it will be before things get locked down again and infections will be seen to fall as they did last time, no that's too easy our 2 trillion pound economy couldn't stand it could it.

daveboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2012
pontefract
My brother-in-law doesn’t want any money off him.

I like Danidl’s suggestion. Give the youth a chance to report himself. That would count very well in his favour and he might learn a lesson for the future. I’m going to pass that on.
Too soft....What if it had been a child or an old person..what if your brother-in-law had woken up next day with severe back pain (happened to my mother after a fall...broken vertebrae) giving false details equals not giving a toss.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
BS suggested it.

your brother-in-law did not say that the youth was driving while being disqualified or without insurance. But if your brother-in-law wants the youth to report himself, what will he say to the police?
If you look at the obligation to report an accident to the police, both your bother-in-law and the youth have equal obligation.
I don't think my BiL has a duty to report the accident. I think the legislation goes something along the lines of, Owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road, an accident occurs whereby ........ there then follow a list of events, one of which is an injury to a person. The DRIVER of the motor vehicle has the responsibility to report the accident to the nearest police station.

All he has to do is go into the station and say that he was involved in an accident in which he knocked a man off a bike injuring him. It would look better if he did that rather than my BiL going in and saying that he gave false insurance details at the scene and left without providing any contact details. It could save him being prosecuted for failing to stop at the scene of an accident. (Although he did physically stop, failing to provide insurance and / or personal contact details counts as failure to stop under this piece of legislation).

He just needs to own and take responsibility for what he's done. That's not an unreasonable expectation.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Too soft....What if it had been a child or an old person..what if your brother-in-law had woken up next day with severe back pain (happened to my mother after a fall...broken vertebrae) giving false details equals not giving a toss.
I agree, but my BiL is a kind and gentle man. I would have gone straight to the police. I think the van driver is taking the ****.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I don't think my BiL has a duty to report the accident. I think the legislation goes something along the lines of, Owing to the presence of a motor vehicle on a road, an accident occurs whereby ........ there then follow a list of events, one of which is an injury to a person. The DRIVER of the motor vehicle has the responsibility to report the accident to the nearest police station.

All he has to do is go into the station and say that he was involved in an accident in which he knocked a man off a bike injuring him. It would look better if he did that rather than my BiL going in and saying that he gave false insurance details at the scene and left without providing any contact details. It could save him being prosecuted for failing to stop at the scene of an accident. (Although he did physically stop, failing to provide insurance and / or personal contact details counts as failure to stop under this piece of legislation).

He just needs to own and take responsibility for what he's done. That's not an unreasonable expectation.
That was my point. If it got to the stage that the BIL had to report it would be on the lines of .. I was struck, at the time I could not remember the person , but I now recall it was Joe Bloggs , can you get the insurance details?.

• Agree
Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Labour takes poll lead as parties see major switch in fortunes
Keir Starmer ahead by four points on who would be better prime minister, as underlying figures suggest government failings in pandemic to blame for reversal

Labour has recorded its first poll lead since Boris Johnson became prime minister, marking an extraordinary changes in fortunes for the two main parties.

Keir Starmer’s party now has a three-point lead over the Conservatives, according to the latest Opinium poll for the Observer. In a result that will stir more unrest among Tory MPs over the performance of the prime minister, the poll put Labour on 42% support, with the Conservatives on 39%.

It is the first Labour lead since early July 2019 – the end of Theresa May’s doomed premiership, when the Lib Dems and the Brexit Party were polling strongly. Labour then recorded a two-point lead.

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Whoaaa! Did Trump ever live in Houston, Texas?

Texas residents warned of tap water tainted with brain-eating microbe
  • Communities around Houston are potentially contaminated
  • Naegleria fowleri enters body through nose, travels to brain
Texas officials have warned residents of some communities near Houston to stop using tap water because it might be tainted with a deadly brain-eating microbe.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/26/texas-tap-water-tainted-brain-eating-microbe

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
As I see it Sweden did well because they did as advised with everything. In the UK we seemed to do everything possible to maximise transmission, open up pubs & clubs re-open schools, pack the beaches and parks and organise rock concerts with the end result we now see a drastic rise in infections.
I wonder how long it will be before things get locked down again and infections will be seen to fall as they did last time, no that's too easy our 2 trillion pound economy couldn't stand it could it.
We started off very well.

From Barnard Castle onward, rules became far more subject to personal interpretation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Johnson just keeps them coming...

Hardline BBC critics reportedly offered top media roles
Former Daily Mail editor could head Ofcom, while ex-Daily Telegraph editor considers BBC chairman job

But reactions on Saturday evening were not all predictable. Even the iconoclastic Jeremy Clarkson, not normally aligned with the affronted liberal reaction, has spoken of his shock at the news. “I’d rather drive my lambo off a cliff than see Charles Moore as chairman,” he said. “BBC will go up in flames like one of my caravans.”

The former editor of the Guardian Alan Rusbridger has also suggested that the fabric of British society is under attack. “Paul Dacre to run Ofcom, Charles Moore to run the BBC. Because Boris wants them. No process. NO joke. This is what an oligarchy looks like.”

Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair’s former spin doctor, tweeted more in sorrow than anger. “In a week when a genuinely great editor like Harry Evans has died, only Boris Johnson could resurrect Paul Dacre.”
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/26/pm-offers-top-media-body-jobs-to-critics-of-bbc-say-reports

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Johnson just keeps them coming...

Hardline BBC critics reportedly offered top media roles
Former Daily Mail editor could head Ofcom, while ex-Daily Telegraph editor considers BBC chairman job

But reactions on Saturday evening were not all predictable. Even the iconoclastic Jeremy Clarkson, not normally aligned with the affronted liberal reaction, has spoken of his shock at the news. “I’d rather drive my lambo off a cliff than see Charles Moore as chairman,” he said. “BBC will go up in flames like one of my caravans.”

The former editor of the Guardian Alan Rusbridger has also suggested that the fabric of British society is under attack. “Paul Dacre to run Ofcom, Charles Moore to run the BBC. Because Boris wants them. No process. NO joke. This is what an oligarchy looks like.”

Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair’s former spin doctor, tweeted more in sorrow than anger. “In a week when a genuinely great editor like Harry Evans has died, only Boris Johnson could resurrect Paul Dacre.”
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/sep/26/pm-offers-top-media-body-jobs-to-critics-of-bbc-say-reports
Jeremy Clarkson AKA Mogadon man :D

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We started off very well.

From Barnard Castle onward, rules became far more subject to personal interpretation.
Sorry Oyster, at no stage did the UK do well. It was waffled and confused at every stage from March. Remember Football matches would not have been cancelled except WRU called a halt and the FA followed.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers