Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Sem-bloody-antics! Definitely antics.

Business secretary claims whether or not Brexit is 'no-deal' is 'question of semantics'

One of the main areas where Brexit has wrecked havoc is with the British language. Words are meant to have a clear meaning. With Brexit, it’s not always so.

There was a good example this morning on LBC where Alok Sharma, the business secretary, argued that a no-deal Brexit - which is normally now taken as meaning a Brexit involving a trade deal with the EU - is in fact a Brexit with a deal, but just a different sort of deal.

Sharma made the argument often made by ministers that the UK does, in fact, have a deal, because it signed the withdrawal agreement deal.

But then he went further. When the presenter, Nick Ferrari, put it to him that the Australia-style deal that the PM now talks about is just another way of referring to no-deal, Sharma replied:

The Australia deal is a deal that you have with countries where you are predominantly working on a sort of WTO basis.
The exchange went on:

NF: So it’s a no-deal?

AS: Depends. You can use the phrase no deal but the point is it is a deal …
Ferrari asked Sharma twice more to explain the difference between the Australia arrangement and no-deal, before Sharma eventually said:

It’s a question of semantics at the end of the day, sure.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/oct/19/uk-coronavirus-live-wales-short-fire-break-lockdown-manchester-boris-johnson-covid

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sem-bloody-antics! Definitely antics.

Business secretary claims whether or not Brexit is 'no-deal' is 'question of semantics'

One of the main areas where Brexit has wrecked havoc is with the British language. Words are meant to have a clear meaning. With Brexit, it’s not always so.

There was a good example this morning on LBC where Alok Sharma, the business secretary, argued that a no-deal Brexit - which is normally now taken as meaning a Brexit involving a trade deal with the EU - is in fact a Brexit with a deal, but just a different sort of deal.

Sharma made the argument often made by ministers that the UK does, in fact, have a deal, because it signed the withdrawal agreement deal.

But then he went further. When the presenter, Nick Ferrari, put it to him that the Australia-style deal that the PM now talks about is just another way of referring to no-deal, Sharma replied:

The exchange went on:

Ferrari asked Sharma twice more to explain the difference between the Australia arrangement and no-deal, before Sharma eventually said:

It’s a question of semantics at the end of the day, sure.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/oct/19/uk-coronavirus-live-wales-short-fire-break-lockdown-manchester-boris-johnson-covid
It's Schrodinger's cat.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
No. This really a case where the mixed messages from the Government confused the public. You see Barry, you have had the advantage of being guided by the superior intellects on this forum.
I am, and I will be forever thankful for them making me realise that if I snog strangers and lick door handles I’ll catch Coronavirus.

Thank you to all forum members.

• :D
Reactions: flecc and Nev

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
So how do you think I feel being forced into Tier 2 at an infection rate of under 23 in 100,000?

And it's the same for three quarters of London who don't have a problem. Dumping all 400 square miles into Tier 2 was idiotic when we don't mix across London. North and South London are different planets and the vast difference in infection rates shows that.
It does seem unfair. How does shutting Bumble's Tea Rooms in Cornwall reduce transmission rates in Manchester?

However, the problem is that the public are such monumental idiots, that if you shut an area down, they will leave that area and go to the closest place they can find in order to carry on as normal. The only two things you can do is either, nothing, or shut the lot down. People are far too stupid to operate in the space in-between those two extremes.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Apples and oranges again. Liverpool isnt manchester. Workers on minimum wage in hospitality are not revellers spreading covid. Businesses trying to survive and following govt guidance are not irresponsible
No its idiots and mongs. Idiots holding parties and mongs revelling in the streets.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Here we go...

Wales to go into national two-week 'firebreak' Covid lockdown

First minister Mark Drakeford announces plan for lockdown from 23 October to give NHS breathing space before winter

Rather, here we don't go. Anywhere.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Does anyone know if it’s ok to travel to Wales from a Tier One area and hold a beach party with five other people from the same Tier One area on Saturday? Asking for a friend.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Worrying as we're usually only a couple-few weeks behind Europe...

"We are close to a tsunami": that was the stark warning on the gravity of the situation in Belgium, from health minister Frank Vandenbroucke.

He told reporters that a “tsunami” would be a scenario where “we no longer control what is happening". The health pressures in Brussels and the southern French-speaking Wallonia region were “the most dangerous in all of Europe”, he said.

Belgium is now recording on average almost 8,000 cases a day. Most are in Brussels and Liège. That figure is four times higher than the daily average only two weeks ago.

In the past three days, more than 10,000 daily cases were recorded.

The death rate is also slowly rising again, at around 30 per day. But that is still 10 times less than at the peak of the first wave, when Belgium had the world’s highest coronavirus death rate per capita.

There is concern over medical staff and their ability to cope with an influx of cases. Several hospitals in Brussels and Liège have started sending patients elsewhere to avoid saturation. In some cases hospitals in Aalst and Charleroi refused to accept new Covid patients. The mayor of Aalst, Christophe D’Haese, said “the limits of medical solidarity" had been reached.

Doctors' surgeries are also feeling the strain. On Friday, I called my GP for a check-up and was told to avoid coming in because the chance of contracting coronavirus was too high. The doctor said the place was “an aquarium of Covid cases”. Authorities here blame the spread on “pandemic fatigue” - people becoming complacent and no longer observing social distancing rules.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I still haven't seen that dancing thing, Is it like "They shoot horses, don't they" because I've never seen that either.
I watched a short part of one show and concluded that it was cruel.
Really the convulsions these females will perform if Tampons are doctored with oven cleaver is extraordinary, but the grimaces on their faces are pitiful to watch
:D :D :D :D :D

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
To me this show is as low as trash TV can sink, less entertaining even than the ads on the minor independent TV channels.
.. careful you have offended close on half the population of the UK ..and I must admit Ireland also ..the types who like frocks

Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I like watching Talking Pictures TV, they show some series from the 70's and apologise at the beginning if it shows a black man strumming a guitar. Presumably a gentleman from the West Indies playing a musical instrument is stereotypical and offensive in this day and age.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yes the NYP is a long running newspaper with a distinguished PAST. I am reluctant to include the current synopsis of it from Wilki ..but it is not flattering. Indeed why has the NYP not sued Wilki for its comments ?
It takes time to set up a court case. That is why, and at present the Biden campaign has an election to win ..by fair means.
I suspect that FB, Twitter etc, have asked themselves ..or their lawyers have asked them to checkout the potential veracity before they get sued.
I just read that the New York Post has now repudiated the story!

Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No. He's here because these days we have to accommodate the mentally ill within the community. It's a bit like the Black Lives Matter thing, nutters matter too.
Have you thought of going into theology?
This could be the natural progression from the Brexit fetish.

The trouble with "Nutter's matter too" is that it looks dangerously like historical fate of the society on Easter island

• :D
Reactions: oyster and flecc

Advertisers