Brexit, for once some facts.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Just caught a glimpse of Piers Morgan interviewing Matt Handcock about MP’s pay rises. Handcock wouldn't be drawn, saying it up to the independent MP pay body. Morgan missed a trick there, he should have gone straight in about the independent review of Fat-Arse’s bullying allegations. I was willing him to do it, be he missed an open goalmouth.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
The Oxford Vaccine seems to be returning a 70% effectiveness rate. So for every 100 people injected, 30 will be wandering around thinking they are protected, but actually be vulnerable. Add in the fact that about 40% of the population won’t take it because they think Bill Gates is trying to inject microchips into them to reprogram them as Wokes, and I can’t see the point. 70% of 60% of (42%) of the population immune isn’t going to stop the virus.

Vaccination needs to be linked to state aid. No jab, no free stuff.
I think it may be as high as 90% effective if the first injection is half strength followed by full strength on the second injection.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: POLLY and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Vaccination needs to be linked to state aid. No jab, no free stuff.
Becomes somewhat more difficult when some people have health issues which preclude having this vaccination.

Should they have all support that they might be entitled to taken away? For example, someone who is on a retirement pension but has a contraindication.

A random flu jab for an indication of potential reasons not to accept a Covid-19 vaccine:

4.3 Contraindications

Hypersensitivity to the active substances, components of the adjuvant, excipients, residues (e.g., egg or chicken proteins, such as ovalbumin) or in anyone who has had an anaphylactoid reaction to previous influenza vaccination.

The vaccine may contain residues of the following substances: kanamycin and neomycin sulphate, formaldehyde, cetyltrimethylammonium bromide (CTAB) and hydrocortisone.

Immunisation shall be postponed in patients with febrile illness or acute infection.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
I think it may be as high as 90% effective if the first injection is half strength followed by full strength on the second injection.
Yes, I heard that. I wonder why they’ve not claimed 90%? Maybe more research regarding dosage is needed. I think it needs to be 90%+ to give the wider community a chance of returning to some kind of normal.

Reactions: POLLY

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Becomes somewhat more difficult when some people have health issues which preclude having this vaccination.

Should they have all support that they might be entitled to taken away? For example, someone who is on a retirement pension but has a contraindication.

A random flu jab for an indication of potential reasons not to accept a Covid-19 vaccine:
Of course people who have a valid medical reason not to take the vaccine should not be compelled to take it. That goes without saying and to suggest otherwise is just plain silly.

By valid medical reasons, I don’t mean, “I don’t like needles, they affect me mencal elf” and that sort of crap. You know, the type of garbage used to excuse face masks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I wonder why they’ve not claimed 90%?
I think it's the result of strategic choices - the Pfizer vaccine trains the immune system to fight only the SARS-COV2 virus, the Oxford vaccine trains the immune system to fight a range of viruses, including SARS-COV2 so may take longer to reach 90% efficacy. In the meantime, you may have a higher probability catching Covid.
The Pfizer vaccine is better in the short term but in the long run, the Oxford vaccine should be better coping with mutations.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Why are the newspapers trumpeting the fact that Christmas is now back on, when most people I talk to would rather us remain in some sort of lockdown, if not batten down the hatches a little tighter? Could it be that the billionaire newspaper owners and their friends want the virus fodder out there ringing the tills?

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Of course people who have a valid medical reason not to take the vaccine should not be compelled to take it. That goes without saying and to suggest otherwise is just plain silly.

By valid medical reasons, I don’t mean, “I don’t like needles, they affect me mencal elf” and that sort of crap. You know, the type of garbage used to excuse face masks.
The person I am primarily thinking of is actually in a difficult position as there is currently no evidence as to the safety or otherwise of the vaccine in her health state. And might not be for months if not years. She has an untreatable disorder which affects of the order of one in 500,000 (as well as other more widespread issues). Currently no clarity over safety of even flu vaccines.

So accepting or rejecting would have to be her call. But how does that feed back into any system of withdrawing support from those who refuse? I'd imagine she would have to at the very least get some sort of "doctor's note" and submit that to whatever sources of support she has.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why are the newspapers trumpeting the fact that Christmas is now back on, when most people I talk to would rather us remain in some sort of lockdown, if not batten down the hatches a little tighter? Could it be that the billionaire newspaper owners and their friends want the virus fodder out there ringing the tills?
I agree. If any sort of control is required, it isn't Christmas which is so very important. And just where is the science?

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
The person I am primarily thinking of is actually in a difficult position as there is currently no evidence as to the safety or otherwise of the vaccine in her health state. And might not be for months if not years. She has an untreatable disorder which affects of the order of one in 500,000 (as well as other more widespread issues). Currently no clarity over safety of even flu vaccines.

So accepting or rejecting would have to be her call. But how does that feed back into any system of withdrawing support from those who refuse? I'd imagine she would have to at the very least get some sort of "doctor's note" and submit that to whatever sources of support she has.
I think you’ve answered the question. An exemption from a medical professional should do it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suppose that decision is made to give us a choice.
We may just take a Christmas Day walk together along the seafront then hand over presents before going home.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

An important point; A pension is not state support, state aid or a benefit. The pension is a financial product and investment. It’s not something for nothing. (I’m not in receipt of the state pension by the way).

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I think you’ve answered the question. An exemption from a medical professional should do it.
But the whole process of putting in place the requirements for exemptions, requesting exemptions from those who are deemed to need them, people arranging to get exemptions, and sending them in and processing, possibly across multiple government and local authority departments represents a considerable administrative burden.

On top of that, everyone who gets vaccinated would need to be able to inform all the relevant bodies of that and supply proof. Otherwise there will be no way of identifying those who need exemptions!

Even the wording of the exemption by a medical professional could be difficult to agree. A professional medic might be unwilling to sign an exemption which was couched in terms of "has a medical condition which contra-indicates this vaccination" if they have no evidence at all and it is just being done on the basis of better-safe-than-sorry.

And potentially repeat for each available vaccine - just because one is contra-indicated doesn't automatically imply that all others are.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
But the whole process of putting in place the requirements for exemptions, requesting exemptions from those who are deemed to need them, people arranging to get exemptions, and sending them in and processing, possibly across multiple government and local authority departments represents a considerable administrative burden.

On top of that, everyone who gets vaccinated would need to be able to inform all the relevant bodies of that and supply proof. Otherwise there will be no way of identifying those who need exemptions!

Even the wording of the exemption by a medical professional could be difficult to agree. A professional medic might be unwilling to sign an exemption which was couched in terms of "has a medical condition which contra-indicates this vaccination" if they have no evidence at all and it is just being done on the basis of better-safe-than-sorry.

And potentially repeat for each available vaccine - just because one is contra-indicated doesn't automatically imply that all others are.

I could get that sorted. All that’s needed is a bit of cocum, a willingness to succeed and a can-do attitude. Simple.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You might have something there. They might have cured racism many years ago - Pushkin was proud of his African heritage and is widely and proudly claimed as a Russian author.
The geneticists say all of we humans have African heritage.

Reactions: POLLY

Advertisers