Brexit, for once some facts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Its not just inter country that has these splits, its county v country, areas of towns, even with our office we've got splits based on all sort of things.

You don't solve it by splitting things up, otherwise we'll all end up in our own little castles trying to solve the problems with our right legs being better than the left!
You are starting to catch on! This is the master plan of our overlords: divide the people to rule without the shackles of human decency...

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The Yorkshire blogger whom I follow because I like his take on things political has just produced an interesting piece today which goes some way to explaining how it isn't austerity, cuts and discredited monetary policies which mend broken economies.

Once again, I have to say that our school-delivered history has been sadly lacking for many, many years as there are generations of British citizens, (sadly, permitted to vote), who just don't have a clue about even our modern history, let alone the ancient and mediaeval material. In 1945, Britain gained a government which set about rebuilding the country and the economy while introducing public ownership into areas previously the sole domain of rich speculators with profit at the top of their business agenda instead of public service.

Sadly, little is left of those great pillars of state due to the tory party stealing them from the public and giving them to their rich benefactors. Everybody who has ever voted tory has brought about the current state of the nation. 'I'm all right Jack' is the new 'Love thy neighbour' in our materialistic society full of stupid people who cannot grasp that giant international conglomerates with multi-million, even billion, pound turnovers pay, in many cases, less tax than they do.

Those taxes would support an NHS double the size of the existing one.

Clement Attlee's government broke the mould in British politics and showed what could be achieved, ensuring that Britain didn't repeat the mistakes made post WW1.

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/why-clement-attlee-was-greatest-pm-of.html

Tom

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Change Britain (Gove and Co) says that 400,000 new jobs will be created when we leave the EU and open ourselves to the world....that is calculated on a EU study that says that 16,700 jobs will be created for every billion euros of extra exports.
What is doesn't say.....
Using the exact same methodology as Change Britain, gives us 650,780 jobs at risk from the loss of access to the single market and the £220 billion pounds of exports to it, WITHOUT counting the loss of access to 3rd party countries which have FTAs with the EU (but not with its ex-members) which would affect pretty much all the rest of the UK's £305 billion in exports.

So that's more than a million jobs at risk in exchange for a "possible, if everything goes well and the UK on its own gets the same trade terms as the whole EU" 400,000 jobs.

Even by their own hand-picked for maximum beautification and flawed methodology, does Change Britain condemn its own ideology?

Ok,lets assume Change Britain utopia and 400,000 extra jobs will be created,where are we to find the necessary skilled employees to fill these vacancies.....perhaps we could go punting in the EU,hehe.....oops,we didnt want any more immigration.
These Change Britain people haven't quite grasped joined up thinking!!!
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
We are told that we shouldn't discuss 'sex politics or religion' and 'wine women and song'are forbidden......'religion' doesn't seem to get us anywhere,'politics'is a current mess....I love wine but it loves me too much and my singing is best kept to the bathroom....that leaves 'sex' and 'women',roll on 2017!!!!!!
KudosDave

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am from the "sex and drugs and rock and roll" generation...

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I can't help but repeatedly draw attention to the fact that the government determined to make a success of 'Brexit' even though 48% of voters don't want to leave the EU, is the same nasty bunch of people whose prime motive is further enriching the already wealthy at the expense of ordinary people who have no say in the payment of taxes.

Here, thanks to 'The Canary', is a collection of a few tory changes slipped in while most of us were doing our best to enjoy the Christmas period:

http://www.thecanary.co/2017/01/03/enjoying-turkey-tories-repeatedly-stuffed-us/

Tom

Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Clement Attlee's government broke the mould in British politics and showed what could be achieved, ensuring that Britain didn't repeat the mistakes made post WW1.
Agreed wholeheartedly, for the vast majority the best PM and government Britain ever had.

Those of their achievements that haven't been destroyed have been seriously damaged, all by the self-interest of those who value wealth above all else.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Change Britain (Gove and Co) says that 400,000 new jobs will be created when we leave the EU and open ourselves to the world....that is calculated on a EU study that says that 16,700 jobs will be created for every billion euros of extra exports.
What is doesn't say.....
Using the exact same methodology as Change Britain, gives us 650,780 jobs at risk from the loss of access to the single market and the £220 billion pounds of exports to it, WITHOUT counting the loss of access to 3rd party countries which have FTAs with the EU (but not with its ex-members) which would affect pretty much all the rest of the UK's £305 billion in exports.

So that's more than a million jobs at risk in exchange for a "possible, if everything goes well and the UK on its own gets the same trade terms as the whole EU" 400,000 jobs.

Even by their own hand-picked for maximum beautification and flawed methodology, does Change Britain condemn its own ideology?

Ok,lets assume Change Britain utopia and 400,000 extra jobs will be created,where are we to find the necessary skilled employees to fill these vacancies.....perhaps we could go punting in the EU,hehe.....oops,we didnt want any more immigration.
These Change Britain people haven't quite grasped joined up thinking!!!
KudosDave
You close to what many economists consider full employment, it is widely accepted that 5% of the potential workforce is not employable for various reasons (including needing training to learn new skills).

2.5% of UK job vacancies remain unfilled...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You close to what many economists consider full employment, it is widely accepted that 5% of the potential workforce is not employable for various reasons (including needing training to learn new skills).

2.5% of UK job vacancies remain unfilled...
"it is widely accepted that 5% of the potential workforce is not employable "
Alas a large proportion of that figure are
Unemployed, yes, but they have an antisocial Hobby to pass a little time, live a life of Riley on Benefits, have Gold plated pensions and......

They are Members of Parliament.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not accepted by those of us with 1960s experience. Then the desperate shortage of employees meant the unemployed dipping below 2% at times, and that was a genuine figure, not the massaged figures we get these days. Anyone with some usable limbs and an approximation of a head could be put to work doing something.

Some companies paid a couple of weeks wages to any employee who introduced someone who lasted six weeks before leaving!

To fill my vacancies I imported staff from as far as New Zealand and South Africa, all on work visas of course. Back then you could have been one of them! New Zealander Sadie was one of my best, we managed to get her visa renewed three times before it had to be a no more.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Not accepted by those of us with 1960s experience. Then the desperate shortage of employees meant the unemployed dipping below 2% at times, and that was a genuine figure, not the massaged figures we get these days. Anyone with some usable limbs and an approximation of a head could be put to work doing something.

Some companies paid a couple of weeks wages to any employee who introduced someone who lasted six weeks before leaving!

To fill my vacancies I imported staff from as far as New Zealand and South Africa, all on work visas of course. Back then you could have been one of them! New Zealander Sadie was one of my best, we managed to get her visa renewed three times before it had to be a no more.
I came on the 6 month working holiday visa. What an eye opener working in London was! I had a job cleaning dead pigeons out of and re-coating some water tanks on the top of flat blocks I remember. "Don't work so fast lad, the boss wants a new Jag" and lunch and beer were supplied. The Irish guys got the worst ones...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I came on the 6 month working holiday visa. What an eye opener working in London was! I had a job cleaning dead pigeons out of and re-coating some water tanks on the top of flat blocks I remember. "Don't work so fast lad, the boss wants a new Jag" and lunch and beer were supplied. The Irish guys got the worst ones...
You wouldn't have got that treatment from me, you'd have been a 9 to 5, one hour for lunch, service work controller earning upper limit wages in top office conditions in the Euston Centre. Subsidised quality staff canteen with a great view on the top floors of the Euston Tower.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
In 1968, my payslip revealed an element of my wages known as 'Scarcity Allowance' which reflected that company's desire to attract and retain good quality staff. Such were the opportunities then that I left in 1969!

Those were the days when we were paid in accordance with the provisions of the Truck Act, a valuable safeguard against disgusting employers who had previously paid their staff in kind at prices determined by those unscrupulous employers, or by tokens only exchangeable in the company shops. The tory party removed people's right to be paid in coin of the realm in 1986 with the Wages Act, later to be superseded by the Employment Rights Act. That, of course, forced many people to open bank accounts who previously had no business with banks and didn't wish to become part of that system.

Again, this is exactly the kind of fairly modern history that I'd guess more than half the population don't have a clue about. Under tory and tory-lite governments, many workers' safeguards have been removed or significantly diluted to the extent that we have people on zero hours contracts, unpaid apprenticeships and up-front fees now required at many employment tribunals. This is not progress; it is a reversion to Dickensian times - crumbs from the master's table!

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The 'Brexit' camp has always been dismissive of those of us who have identified the rise of the far-right in several countries in concert with the overtly fascist rhetoric from Farage and his evil accomplices and supporters.

There have been various instances of typical fascist behaviour, not least the vicious murder of Jo Cox MP by one lunatic almost certainly influenced and inspired by the 'Brexit' cause. Today, it is reported that Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' has seen recent sales figures described as 'overwhelming'. That, no doubt, will be dismissed by those blind to what is really happening but the warning signals are there and should be ignored by people at their peril! Beware the far-right!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38495456

Tom

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I can't help but repeatedly draw attention to the fact that the government determined to make a success of 'Brexit' even though 48% of voters don't want to leave the EU, is the same nasty bunch of people whose prime motive is further enriching the already wealthy at the expense of ordinary people who have no say in the payment of taxes.

Here, thanks to 'The Canary', is a collection of a few tory changes slipped in while most of us were doing our best to enjoy the Christmas period:

http://www.thecanary.co/2017/01/03/enjoying-turkey-tories-repeatedly-stuffed-us/

Tom
Tom.....Recent polls suggest that over 70% now think that Brexit is not a good idea,in some of the hard Brexit areas the 60-40 vote has reversed. It seems to me that Theresa May's 'respecting the will of the people' is 'so last year darling'....the way the public are leaning it wont be long before the only person who thinks Brexit is a good idea is Theresa May.
And the poorer regions haven't yet felt the austerity in all the imminent price rises and tax credit/benefit cuts....Leave wasn't meant to be like this!!!!
KudosDave

• Informative
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Tom.....Recent polls suggest that over 70% now think that Brexit is not a good idea,in some of the hard Brexit areas the 60-40 vote has reversed. It seems to me that Theresa May's 'respecting the will of the people' is 'so last year darling'....the way the public are leaning it wont be long before the only person who thinks Brexit is a good idea is Theresa May.
And the poorer regions haven't yet felt the austerity in all the imminent price rises and tax credit/benefit cuts....Leave wasn't meant to be like this!!!!
KudosDave
I believe you are mistaken in that, as leave is going exactly as it's promoters intended of damaging the poor.
May I refer you of this significant statement

"In Northcliffe's day, many politicians were appalled that rising literacy standards had led to an explosion in the sales of popular newspapers, which were filling the impressionable heads of their readers with information they had no business knowing."

In other words those newspapers were going against the Government propaganda line, and the Mail didn't like it., and wanted to suppress socially concerned dissent.
Nothing has changed, has it? and they rant and rave about being a free press, while working to an Agenda for Paymasters against the Public interest.

• Informative
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Something Comical in the Star
"
Bring back Nige: Farage linked to EU ambassador job as he demands it goes to 'Brexiteer'
CALLS have been made for NIGEL Farage to become UK Ambassador to the EU following Ivan Rogers’ shock resignation earlier today."

Demands? who is this individual to demand anything? but giving him the job should doom Brexit, so why not let him take the blame?

What is a little worrying is that the implication of ownership this fool has to assume that the future of this nation is now the property of people who were on the winning side of a non legally binding referendum.
No thank you I want the country ruled by the elected Government,,even if it is as now a bunch of inept clowns.
Lower down in the article he chickens out
"Responding to Mr Batten’s suggestion that he should take up the vacant post, he said: ”That's very sweet of him. It would be lots of fun, but it's never going to happen."

Clever boy, Sir Nigel, you don't want to catch any kick back do you?

Last edited:
  • Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Maybe Spain could chose him as ambassador to the UK? :rolleyes:

Advertisers