Brexit, for once some facts.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
My energy supplier contacted me yesterday to say their customer accounts had been hacked and the hackers now have my name, date of birth, address and email address. I don’t remember giving the energy company my DoB and why would they need it?

I may need to punish the director for this.
Be careful Barry that's old hackers trick. They contact you by phone email whatever and tell you you've been hacked and should change your password, they then use various methods like asking you to click on a link for instance that sends you to a fake site where you put in a new password and you are screwed.
I would guess you've already given your supplier a phone call to check if it's all legit.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No-one warned us of this impact of brexit:

Lorry drivers will be banned from taking a ham and cheese sandwich or other meat and dairy products from the UK into the EU from 1 January, even if it is just to eat while driving, UK government officials have said.​
Personal imports of certain products of animal or plant origin will be prohibited from 11pm on 31 December. The ban will also apply to tourists travelling to the EU. The rules will permit the transit of sweets and chocolate, preserving the long association between truckers and Yorkie bars.​

(Actually, it was fairly clear that such restrictions would apply if no agreement to the contrary.)

I imagine this will apply between mainland and Northern Ireland. Which will go down well.

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Be careful Barry that's old hackers trick. They contact you by phone email whatever and tell you you've been hacked and should change your password, they then use various methods like asking you to click on a link for instance that sends you to a fake site where you put in a new password and you are screwed.
I would guess you've already given your supplier a phone call to check if it's all legit.
Thanks for the warning, but I think this is genuine. They aren’t wanting me to take any action, just informing me that they, the energy company have been hacked and my data, along with other customer’s, has been stolen. They say they’ve referred themselves to OFGEM. Whooo, I bet they are shitting themselves, not.

in fact, it is genuine. Just Googled it. I should have done it yesterday, but I felt it was true.

Still don’t know why an energy company would store and retain my DoB. It makes no sense and likely contravenes data laws.

Bunch of clowns.

Reactions: oyster

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Make sure that you immediately reset your date of birth.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh and oyster

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Dob them in to the ICO?
They need .... with a ragman's trumpet. It appears that ex-customer's details have also been stolen, they definitely should not have retained those.

I guess the ICO will have already been informed. 270000 people are affected. I'd like to see them slapped with a massive fine and the company owner's personal assets seized, houses, cars the lot. It will never happen though, I'll just move supplier, although they were the cheapest I could find. Buy cheap, pay......

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They need .... with a ragman's trumpet. It appears that ex-customer's details have also been stolen, they definitely should not have retained those.

I guess the ICO will have already been informed. 270000 people are affected. I'd like to see them slapped with a massive fine and the company owner's personal assets seized, houses, cars the lot. It will never happen though, I'll just move supplier, although they were the cheapest I could find. Buy cheap, pay......
Although serious enough in its way, it was meant more of a jocular comment. :)

Reactions: Barry Shittpeas

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
So very pleased that the really, really important things like leaking of emails saying "Do not leak" are pre-occupying the government and PM.

A Conservative MP has been sacked from his job as a ministerial aide after an investigation into the leaking of a letter warning MPs not to leak.
Andrew Lewer was dismissed from his role at the Home Office after a No 10 probe led by chief whip Mark Spencer.​
In an attempt to try and identify the culprit, a number of MPs were allegedly sent the same letter but with slightly different wording.​
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55364465

I'm quite certain there is nothing nearly so important going on.

And what journalist doesn't know that "same" is not the same (ha!) as "nearly identical" or "very similar"?

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
No-one warned us of this impact of brexit:

Lorry drivers will be banned from taking a ham and cheese sandwich or other meat and dairy products from the UK into the EU from 1 January, even if it is just to eat while driving, UK government officials have said.​
Personal imports of certain products of animal or plant origin will be prohibited from 11pm on 31 December. The ban will also apply to tourists travelling to the EU. The rules will permit the transit of sweets and chocolate, preserving the long association between truckers and Yorkie bars.​

(Actually, it was fairly clear that such restrictions would apply if no agreement to the contrary.)

I imagine this will apply between mainland and Northern Ireland. Which will go down well.
Big opportunity here for the first Company to introduce Bacon and Egg flavoured Yorkie Bars! ;)

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So very pleased that the really, really important things like leaking of emails saying "Do not leak" are pre-occupying the government and PM.

A Conservative MP has been sacked from his job as a ministerial aide after an investigation into the leaking of a letter warning MPs not to leak.
Andrew Lewer was dismissed from his role at the Home Office after a No 10 probe led by chief whip Mark Spencer.​
In an attempt to try and identify the culprit, a number of MPs were allegedly sent the same letter but with slightly different wording.​
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55364465

I'm quite certain there is nothing nearly so important going on.

And what journalist doesn't know that "same" is not the same (ha!) as "nearly identical" or "very similar"?
So Wormtongue gets away with it again, eh? :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
They appear to have totally lost their minds!

Truly it's embarrassing that newspapers have sunk so low

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Still don’t know why an energy company would store and retain my DoB.
There are numerous discount and grant schemes for vulnerable consumers, often related to age, low income etc, and energy companies notify applicable consumers of such benefits and/or often invite them to apply. If they don't know they can't tell so they may have asked your DoB when you first signed up.

Some of these are administered as disability benefits but not restricted to the registered disabled and all are quite separate from the Winter Fuel Allowance the government administers.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
They appear to have totally lost their minds!

Truly it's embarrassing that newspapers have sunk so low
Compare and contrast:

The Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister) Leo Varadkar wished Mr Johnson "a rapid return to health", and French President Emmanuel Macron said he hoped he "overcomes this ordeal quickly."

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen also wished him a "speedy and full recovery".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52192604

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There are numerous discount and grant schemes for vulnerable consumers, often related to age, low income etc, and energy companies notify applicable consumers of such benefits and/or often invite them to apply. If they don't know they can't tell so they may have asked your DoB when you first signed up.

Some of these are administered as disability benefits but not restricted to the registered disabled and all are quite separate from the Winter Fuel Allowance the government administers.
Flecc.. please don't confuse him with reason..its bad for his constitution

Barry Shittpeas

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

That makes sense. A few years to go before I’m eligible for the winter fuel allowance. It will most likely be means tested, along with the state pension by then.

• Agree

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Just found out about someone who will be travelling a long way from Tier 3 (England) to Wales just before 28/12/2020 when new Wales rules apply.

For a holiday.

They know that they should not be travelling from Tier 3 for a holiday at all under English rules. They know they should not be travelling from Tier 3 to Wales under Welsh rules. They know that in the first lockdown and in the fire-break lockdown, police were out stopping people and sending them back.

They simply assume no-one will notice.

And couldn’t give a monkey’s about carrying Covid-19 with them. Nor are they concerned about picking it up.

Reactions: POLLY

Advertisers