Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
LBC were reporting something strange this morning, they did not know if it was true or possibly a hoax. They had been told of instances were people going in to get the vaccine and refusing to accept it if it was the Pfizer one and demanding they want the British AZ one or else they did not want to be vaccinated.

Seems hard to believe but then again baring in mind it was not that long ago people were burning down phone masts because they thought they could catch Covid from them maybe its not all that surprising.
I'm not surprised and it's quite likely to have a racial basis with Pfizers German connection. There's still lots of anti-German sentiment about, partly due to WW2, partly due to the EU connection, we even see it in this forum frequently.

In the 1960s I bought a very rare car at that time, an N600, the first car Honda ever made. It was a great little car, lots of fun, but I often got carved up driving it. One day I managed to pull alongside one of the guilty drivers at traffic lights to ask why and got a stream of foul invective from him, objecting to my driving a Japanese car "considering what they did in the war".

• :D
  • Informative
Reactions: POLLY and Nev

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There needs to be systems in place to prevent levels going to those we, ve seen. That needs world cooperation. Perhaps for the future???
first step is to stop the expediency.
Virus spreads by planes.
China had experienced SARS before and they knew a lot more than we do how to handle a potential pandemic. Our politicians on the other hand were totally complacent. Cheerfully unconcerned until it's too late to stop the virus.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Good post Wicky..
Couldn't you argue pragmatism is part of the science to treat the numbers involved..
Let's face it a health service of size and capability to totally deal with our levels of infection could not be maintained indefinitely?
There needs to be systems in place to prevent levels going to those we, ve seen. That needs world cooperation. Perhaps for the future???
In relation to downgrading of PPE requirements for healthcare staff - it popped here when it was announced and a journalist friend raised an eyebrow at the announcement at the time

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP)

One of the most important groups is so obscure that it hasn't published any minutes since 2017.

The exact reasons for the decision have not been made public.

Health officials have consistently said staff safety is a top priority right!

As for vaccine and time between doses - do you know if it was the govt's idea which their expert advisers have gone along with or vice versa?

I suspect we won't know unless it comes out in some ministers memoirs or after 50 years...

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
In relation to downgrading of PPE requirements for healthcare staff - it popped here when it was announced and a journalist friend raised an eyebrow at the announcement as the time

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP)

One of the most important groups is so obscure that it hasn't published any minutes since 2017.

The exact reasons for the decision have not been made public.

Health officials have consistently said staff safety is a top priority right!

As for vaccine and time between doses - do you know if it was the govt's idea which their expert advisers have gone along with or vice versa?

I suspect we won't know unless it comes out in some ministers memoirs or after 50 years...
The first person I heard suggest delaying 2nd jab was Tony Blair... Then arguments started amongst virologist then it was announced it was happening.. Didn't hear any Tory ministers even talking about it.. But who knows. If it works it will be a great bonus. If it fails think it could bring Boris down.
Jury still out with me. If daughter is indicative it's working, but she, s 37 and very fit with no underlying issues. So far, and spoke this morning, she describes symptoms as mild cold.. Would it have been same without vaccine? I don't suppose we will ever know but she hasn't passed it on to her kids either... But time yet. Fingers crossed for a week or two..

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It is hard to fathom how they can pile bad decision on bad decision and achieve results like this:

AP analysis: Federal executions likely a COVID superspreader
WASHINGTON (AP) — As the Trump administration was nearing the end of an unprecedented string of executions, 70% of death row inmates were sick with COVID-19. Guards were ill. Traveling prisons staff on the execution team had the virus. So did media witnesses, who may have unknowingly infected others when they returned home because they were never told about the spreading cases.

Records obtained by The Associated Press show employees at the Indiana prison complex where the 13 executions were carried out over six months had contact with inmates and other people infected with the coronavirus, but were able to refuse testing and declined to participate in contact tracing efforts and were still permitted to return to their work assignments.

Other staff members, including those brought in to help with executions, also spread tips to their colleagues about how they could avoid quarantines and skirt public health guidance from the federal government and Indiana health officials.

The executions at the end of Donald Trump’s presidency, completed in a short window over a few weeks, likely acted as a superspreader event, according to the records reviewed by AP. It was something health experts warned could happen when the Justice Department insisted on resuming executions during a pandemic.

https://apnews.com/article/public-health-prisons-health-coronavirus-pandemic-executions-9c355b58c78492613eedbf1c7c1fb42c

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
LBC were reporting something strange this morning, they did not know if it was true or possibly a hoax. They had been told of instances were people going in to get the vaccine and refusing to accept it if it was the Pfizer one and demanding they want the British AZ one or else they did not want to be vaccinated.

Seems hard to believe but then again baring in mind it was not that long ago people were burning down phone masts because they thought they could catch Covid from them maybe its not all that surprising.
Perhaps they wanted a "Brexit Bonus" they could brag about?

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It is hard to fathom how they can pile bad decision on bad decision and achieve results like this:

AP analysis: Federal executions likely a COVID superspreader
WASHINGTON (AP) — As the Trump administration was nearing the end of an unprecedented string of executions, 70% of death row inmates were sick with COVID-19. Guards were ill. Traveling prisons staff on the execution team had the virus. So did media witnesses, who may have unknowingly infected others when they returned home because they were never told about the spreading cases.

Records obtained by The Associated Press show employees at the Indiana prison complex where the 13 executions were carried out over six months had contact with inmates and other people infected with the coronavirus, but were able to refuse testing and declined to participate in contact tracing efforts and were still permitted to return to their work assignments.

Other staff members, including those brought in to help with executions, also spread tips to their colleagues about how they could avoid quarantines and skirt public health guidance from the federal government and Indiana health officials.

The executions at the end of Donald Trump’s presidency, completed in a short window over a few weeks, likely acted as a superspreader event, according to the records reviewed by AP. It was something health experts warned could happen when the Justice Department insisted on resuming executions during a pandemic.

https://apnews.com/article/public-health-prisons-health-coronavirus-pandemic-executions-9c355b58c78492613eedbf1c7c1fb42c
Probably more executed than they planned.
How on earth did Trump get into power. In a way we got off light. He could easily have triggered apocalypse.. World really has gone mad.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
How on earth did Trump get into power. In a way we got off light. He could easily have triggered apocalypse.. World really has gone mad.
"World really has gone mad..." Fortunately it copped itself on just in time.. Had Trump succeeded in stealing this election, ..and it was a close run thing, Anything could have happened. Unlike our resident conspiracy theorist, I try not to dwell on such matters, but if I were more fundamentalist in outlook , I would see Trump as the Kraken or the Antichrist.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Totally off topic, but I, m sat at my garage bench working on this at moment.
Screenshot_20210206_132725.jpg

Its a Villiers 37a 250 from a 1967 Cotton Trials. Brought it upto date. Electronic ignition, heavy flywheel, high compression barrel (removed material from base), new forged piston, (plus 20 over bore) full circle crank, new bearings, oil seals, gaskets, crankcase stuffers, new clutch.. Beats sim racer.. Keeps me out of house and trouble.
Thought somebody might be interested.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How come there are people who would vote for him again and again and again? Not just a handful.

Was reading about someone like that who has seen the light, disaowed Trump and Qanon, and is telling others that she was wrong. Trouble is, if they fell for T & Q, they have shown they are rather gullible and would be difficult to trust.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
The first person I heard suggest delaying 2nd jab was Tony Blair... Then arguments started amongst virologist then it was announced it was happening.. Didn't hear any Tory ministers even talking about it.. But who knows. If it works it will be a great bonus. If it fails think it could bring Boris down.
Jury still out with me. If daughter is indicative it's working, but she, s 37 and very fit with no underlying issues. So far, and spoke this morning, she describes symptoms as mild cold.. Would it have been same without vaccine? I don't suppose we will ever know but she hasn't passed it on to her kids either... But time yet. Fingers crossed for a week or two..
At the end of the day - Yes Boris will get the credit but I'm sure scientists are lined up as the usual suspects if it goes wrong. The timing of the Kent variant running amok likely as the vaccine came online forced the govts hand to the idea but i'll be interesting as to find out one day if it was a politician or scientist who first proposed it.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
How come there are people who would vote for him again and again and again? Not just a handful.

Was reading about someone like that who has seen the light, disaowed Trump and Qanon, and is telling others that she was wrong. Trouble is, if they fell for T & Q, they have shown they are rather gullible and would be difficult to trust.
I know, I can't explain it.. Bonkers.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
View attachment 40654

Its a Villiers 37a 250 from a 1967 Cotton Trials. Brought it upto date. Electronic ignition, heavy flywheel, high compression barrel (removed material from base), new forged piston, (plus 20 over bore) full circle crank, new bearings, oil seals, gaskets, crankcase stuffers, new clutch.. Beats sim racer.. Keeps me out of house and trouble.
Nice job Zlatan. I’ve got a 1964 Triumph motorbike & engine awaiting attention in my garage. It was my dad’s bike.

Reactions: oldgroaner

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
View attachment 40654

It is going to be used in anger? Will it pass scrutineering with all the modern mods as they can be quite strict with that kind of thing - they can be in the Pre65 / Pre74 motocross/scrambles world.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How on earth did Trump get into power. In a way we got off light. He could easily have triggered apocalypse.
It's the defect of democracy, potentially as dangerous as a single person dictatorship and often far less efficient than a collective dictatorship. Just look at the efficient way China's party led dictatorship handled its internal Covid-19 pandemic. And all sorts of other crises over the decades. And its explosive economic growth.

Democracy can't begin to get close to those performances.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
It's still the original 5000 doses, the distribution was very badly done with excess in some places and far too little in others.

For example many northern areas had far more than necessary for their over 80s so went onto the 70s and even reaching many second doses for 70s and 80s, while London only had enougn to reach half the over 80s with the first dose. Hence us being on the AZ now so quickly.

It's one of the reasons why I've been annoyed at the claims the program has been going well. In sheer numbers yes, but in distribution it's been a shambles that's caused unnecessary deaths.
Here in Essex there are 50 year old folk in good health (not shielding) getting invited for vaccination. Causing much confusion esp with 70+ yo folk who haven't heard diddly squat.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here in Essex there are 50 year old folk in good health (not shielding) getting invited for vaccination. Causing much confusion esp with 70+ yo folk who haven't heard diddly squat.
Indeed this is widespread. It's such a pity since it was so easy to handle the distribution and application much better. Every local authority has instantly on tap the precise number of people in each age band from their computerised electoral register and those numbers should have been used to distribute the vaccine nationally, band by band to ensure the right quantities in each location. Then strict control of the invitations should have ensured who received the jabs was correct.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How on earth did Trump get into power.
there are plenty who like his politics: straightforward simple yes/no, distrust of foreigners and low taxes.

Advertisers