Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
You're being silly again, I did nothing of the sort. I responded to Zlatans post on the subject of cataract treatment and the private and public options for treatment, those being his subjects. Not leg ailments, real or imagined.

You really can't stop being a misery can you, with your constant sniping at our posting subjects and occasional humour?

There's far more serious issues than the Covid you obsess about and think we should, which is largely an irrelevance to the 97% of us who haven't been affected by it.

Such as the current threats to our food production, supply and distribution chain. We can cope with living with Covid indefinitely, but can only last a few days without food.

And the mess we are making of the planet at present which ultimately threatens to end all higher order life.

But we in this thread haven't got round to sorting those out yet. Hang around, I'm sure we will in due course. I've made a start by solving the truck driver supply shortage.
How about you help us out instead of moaning all the time?
Thought about that (manic denial) on run tonight. Certainly have my own flavour of it (not least running, even if sunset on a shire weatfield is pretty). Hard to draw the line when it comes to trying to be properly attuned to what's going on. But on this occasion (145 dead today) I think some concern is appropriate.

Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
That takes me back, the good old British Standard. BS plus the kite mark.

I once had a pair of plimsolls that were “Empire Made”. They didn’t have the BS plus kite mark and they were **.
Otherwise known as pumps. Deceptively useful (like running without shoes). Imagine it was for when you were a danseur with bolshoi ballet?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
That takes me back, the good old British Standard. BS plus the kite mark.

I once had a pair of plimsolls that were “Empire Made”. They didn’t have the BS plus kite mark and they were **.
Quite likely imported by the firm my father worked for; some very good, some decidedly not so good. I thought that would have been long before the kite mark, but a quick Google has just told me the kite mark was introduced in 1903.

My favourite stories from that time were
  1. The import of thousands of size 3,4,5 plimsolls; just a shame they sent 3,4,5 children's sizes.
  2. Shoes that arrived very late because the dry season meant the production lines would not work, but when they arrived they were soaked because of the extreme rains at the docks.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Sort-of partner's relative just admitted to hospital with Covid. She has had two vaccinations. (I'd tend to assume AstraZeneca but not certain.) Devon area. First known in "family".

Still, I don't think she is into pork scratchings.

Last edited:

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Quite likely imported by the firm my father worked for; some very good, some decidedly not so good. I thought that would have been long before the kite mark, but a quick Google has just told me the kite mark was introduced in 1903.

My favourite stories from that time were
  1. The import of thousands of size 3,4,5 plimsolls; just a shame they sent 3,4,5 children's sizes.
  2. Shoes that arrived very late because the dry season meant the production lines would not work, but when they arrived they were soaked because of the extreme rains at the docks.
I remember my Empire Made plimsolls from the late 1960s. My parents bought them for me to use during PE at school. I guess Empire Made would mean they were manufactured in India? Although India would not have been in the empire at that time.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But on this occasion (145 dead today) I think some concern is appropriate.
I'm concerned too, but apart from our personal precautions to protect ourselves and others, there's nothing we can do but get on with life, make the best of it and try to enjoy it as usual.

It's one rare occasion when the politicians have got it right, we must learn to live with Covid as we've done with influenza etc.

Here's another perspective. Covid 19 has killed 132,000 in the UK.

Road deaths just in my adult life alone have killed over 300,000 in the UK. They are still killing every year but most of us only rarely think about that and almost never worry about it. We've learned to live with them and just try to avoid them, just as we try to avoid Covid.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wasn't Malaysia the home of rubber?
The rubber tree originated in the Amazon basin in South America, but we took it to Malaysia where it thrived. It needs very damp, warm forest conditions. A bit more global warming and British summers could see our farmers growing it. ;)

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
I'm concerned too, but apart from our personal precautions to protect ourselves and others, there's nothing we can do but get on with life, make the best of it and try to enjoy it as usual.

It's one rare occasion when the politicians have got it right, we must learn to live with Covid as we've done with influenza etc.

Here's another perspective. Covid 19 has killed 132,000 in the UK.

Road deaths just in my adult life alone have killed over 300,000 in the UK. They are still killing every year but most of us only rarely think about that and almost never worry about it. We've learned to live with them and just try to avoid them, just as we try to avoid Covid.
I agree, we must now take personal responsibility for protecting ourselves and do whatever we feel is appropriate for our own circumstances. As we have see, rules are useless, even the rule makers are too weak to adhere to them. Just highlights what a pathetic nation of wimps we have become.

Your comparison to road deaths is a bit strange. 300000 over 60 years compared to 132000 over 20 months. The disparity in rate of death is huge. If a plane with 100+ on board came down every day……

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I agree, we must now take personal responsibility for protecting ourselves and do whatever we feel is appropriate for our own circumstances. As we have see, rules are useless, even the rule makers are too weak to adhere to them. Just highlights what a pathetic nation of wimps we have become.

Your comparison to road deaths is a bit strange. 300000 over 60 years compared to 132000 over 20 months. The disparity in rate of death is huge. If a plane with 100+ on board came down every day……
I'd also point out that some people do think about road deaths very frequently.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Went to some food shops yesterday. My - the emptiest shelves so far. Aldi - not a single fresh milk product. Lidl - low on milk. Both low on many vegetables and fruit, chicken, ice cream and most frozen foods, "special buy" non-food items, chocolate, crisps, and other gaps all over. Far worse than Christmas or early Covid days.

(Tesco and Morrisons had lots of obvious shortages last we went but we did not go to either yesterday.)

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Went to some food shops yesterday. My - the emptiest shelves so far. Aldi - not a single fresh milk product. Lidl - low on milk. Both low on many vegetables and fruit, chicken, ice cream and most frozen foods, "special buy" non-food items, chocolate, crisps, and other gaps all over. Far worse than Christmas or early Covid days.

(Tesco and Morrisons had lots of obvious shortages last we went but we did not go to either yesterday.)
We must change the adage.
Is your supermarket half full or half empty?
I don't look on empty shelves. Bit pointless.
Might be a good way to tackle obesity.
When was last time anybody in UK starved to death? Obesity kills thousands here?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We must change the adage.
Is your supermarket half full or half empty?
I don't look on empty shelves. Bit pointless.
Might be a good way to tackle obesity.
When was last time anybody in UK starved to death? Obesity kills thousands here?
You can pretty much bet your bottom dollar that what is readily available is sugar-laden, carbohydrate-laden, low nutrient-density crap.

And only a part of that is because such products typically have very long lives.

So not going to reduce obesity.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I remember my Empire Made plimsolls from the late 1960s. My parents bought them for me to use during PE at school. I guess Empire Made would mean they were manufactured in India? Although India would not have been in the empire at that time.
The plimsolls my father's firm imported were mainly made in Hong Kong (and a few in Wales). Things have changed a lot since the one time he actually visited Hong Kong (late 50's?); he hadn't noticed that several of the souvenirs he brought back were made in Birmingham.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The plimsolls my father's firm imported were mainly made in Hong Kong (and a few in Wales). Things have changed a lot since the one time he actually visited Hong Kong (late 50's?); he hadn't noticed that several of the souvenirs he brought back were made in Birmingham.
Partner keeps calling them daps. West country and up to Birmingham, I do believe.

And some such footwear was made in Pakistan.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Your comparison to road deaths is a bit strange. 300000 over 60 years compared to 132000 over 20 months. The disparity in rate of death is huge.
Not as strange as it might seem. The road deaths are ongoing, likely largely for ever.

Covid is not, it's a temporary situation last year and this, and by the time it well over doubles the deaths to match those road deaths, we'll have improved vaccines and/or boosters getting better control of it. Just as we did with 'flu which once killed huge numbers.

• Informative
Reactions: Jesus H Christ

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Not as strange as it might seem. The road deaths are ongoing, likely largely for ever.

Covid is not, it's a temporary situation last year and this, and by the time it well over doubles the deaths to match those road deaths, we'll have improved vaccines and/or boosters getting better control of it. Just as we did with 'flu which once killed huge numbers.
I want to agree with you and I hope you are right.

It is weird that people want to pack themselves into pubs, stadiums, shops and other such places that essentially kill 100+ people per day, but would they get on a plane if they were crashing 3 to 4 times per week and killing all on board?

Advertisers