Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Really flecc?

UK Covid Deaths -

642 in September 2020 -
4127 in September 2021

What do you call that, then?
My posts have not been disagreeing about the national issue. Far from it, they highlight it.

But they illustrate very clearly that the vaccines are definitely not the answer.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
why can’t we have one big energy company using buying power to secure the best possible price and then selling it on, but without skimming cash? Have I just described a nationalised industry?
You've described the CEGB that we used to have, the Central Electricity Generating Board.

We also had one rail company, one telephone company, one gas company and Metropolitan Water Boards. all British owned and at lower costs to us. We are supposed to have one health company, the NHS, but even that has been sold off in parts, like all the local doctors surgery practices sold off to US companies making big money from them.

Now most of this is foreign owned by investors for profit. The Tory holocaust.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
"1/3 in hospital are VACCINATED, 2/3 are unvaccinated"

This slight revision of your editing emphasis illustrates a different understanding of the vaccines being "extremely effective". It better fits the admission of only 66% effectiveness of one of the vaccine manufacturers.

The most effective thing as we both agree is avoiding getting Covid-19 in the first place by personal precautions. In a hypothetical world where nobody catches Covid-19, the vaccines are useless.

That's what I've been illustrating for many months now with my part of London's much lower rates of infections and deaths, despite the population density and our very low vaccination rates. It's clearly not the vaccines responsible for our relative success when so many of us are deliberately avoiding having any jabs. Likewise the almost 90% vaccination rate in the parts of the country suffering most severely from Covid illustrates how poorly the vaccines are protecting them.

That doesn't surprise me, given the evidence of the AZ being less effective, that you also hint at, and the ridiculously excessive spacing between first and second doses of all vaccines for political advantage.
No flecc you have misunderstood .... . If the population of both vaccinated and unvaccinated were the same then it would be reasonable to say that the vaccines were only mildly effective. But since 95% of the population are vaccinated and 5% not. It shows that the vaccination is at least 20 times better in preventing hospital admission level infection ... ,But since there are twice as many of the unvaccinated in hospital ,the vaccine is at least 40 times better.
In addition, What any date based analysis misses out on is that Delta is 1200 times more potent than the original. ..an exposure which a year ago had a slight chance of causing infection has a much higher probability now in an equally susceptible person.

• Informative

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
No flecc you have misunderstood .... . If the population of both vaccinated and unvaccinated were the same then it would be reasonable to say that the vaccines were only mildly effective. But since 95% of the population are vaccinated and 5% not. It shows that the vaccination is at least 20 times better in preventing hospital admission level infection ... ,But since there are twice as many of the unvaccinated in hospital ,the vaccine is at least 40 times better.
In addition, What any date based analysis misses out on is that Delta is 1200 times more potent than the original. ..an exposure which a year ago had a slight chance of causing infection has a much higher probability now in an equally susceptible person.
France's 4300 infections and 17 deaths today, compared to our circa 40000 infections and about 140 deaths. more or less mirrors a similar ratio. the difference in scale being, I think, down to our lax social distancing. Making us, just before winter Europe's petri dish

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
It's what I've been maintaining since the outset, give the public the advice, then leave them to it.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. However the question I would ask is - where are the public to get this 'advice' ?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You've described the CEGB that we used to have, the Central Electricity Generating Board.

We also had one rail company, one telephone company, one gas company and Metropolitan Water Boards. all British owned and at lower costs to us. We are supposed to have one health company, the NHS, but even that has been sold off in parts, like all the local doctors surgery practices sold off to US companies making big money from them.

Now most of this is foreign owned by investors for profit. The Tory holocaust.
This might be eventually one of the very few Brexit bonuses. !. Under EU guidance in the 90s we were encouraged to break up state monopolies . Whether it was actually a requirement or a request ,I never recalled, but certainly the mantra was .. Competition makes for better public services. It doesn't!!!!. .
The privatisation of the phone system was particularly obnoxious.
Our Electricity service did succeed in retaining most of its integrity. The ESB was split into two entities EirGrid, which manages and build the Network and infrastructure, and Electric Ireland who can own generators and sells power to customers . Every 15 minutes the generators bid to supply power for the next 15 minutes The innovation is that other suppliers can also own generators and sell power. So every year we the consumers need to change supplier in order to get bonuses.. So I am finally, having gone round the houses, back with Electric Ireland ...whom I never really wanted to leave.
Water is where the Irish public finally blew their tops .. and is the reason why SF have as much support as they do. It used to be a county council competence but the more conservative wing of FG wanted it a Private Property... . Anyway it is very strongly State enterprise, and there is talk of making it a Constitutional Right , that it cannot be sold.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
However we also need to consider whether the unvaccinated are just refusers or are in important ways different to the vaccinated.

Someone very near is half-vaccinated. He has been so ill, for so long, that they could not give him his second injection. And, when he eventually is well enough, he will be treated as totally unvaccinated. But all the while, he is extremely susceptible to any infection - not just Covid.

He is not a refuser - circumstance alone dictates what has happened.

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No flecc you have misunderstood .... . If the population of both vaccinated and unvaccinated were the same then it would be reasonable to say that the vaccines were only mildly effective. But since 95% of the population are vaccinated and 5% not. It shows that the vaccination is at least 20 times better in preventing hospital admission level infection ...
No I have emphatically not misunderstood.

Once again you are speaking of the antigen properties, not a vaccine one of preventing the infection, in which respect the vaccines are sadly lacking.

And my posts have been about my London area's very low vaccination rates, nothing remotely near to 95%. A quarter of the population here haven't even had one jab, 42% haven't had two jabs, yet our infection rate is far lower than where the English vaccination rates are at 90%. Our local death rate is statistically zero too.

As ever you don't want to accept inconvenient facts that don't fit the theories and expert views.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree wholeheartedly with this. However the question I would ask is - where are the public to get this 'advice' ?
It was given consistently on TV in the daily Covid Show, starring mendacious Boris Johnson and assorted medical Yes men on fat salaries.

They all caught Covid, so perhaps the advice wasn't all it could have been.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Under EU guidance in the 90s we were encouraged to break up state monopolies . Whether it was actually a requirement or a request ,I never recalled
It came under the EU's anti competion law, every form of supply has to be open to competitive bidding.

A well meaning measure which had a very big sting in the tail.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
one gas company
There were, at one point, many gas companies.

In 1948 Clement Attlee's Labour government reshaped the gas industry, enacting the Gas Act 1948. The act nationalised the UK gas industry and 1,064 privately owned and municipal gas companies were merged into twelve area gas boards each a separate body with its own management structure.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
France's 4300 infections and 17 deaths today, compared to our circa 40000 infections and about 140 deaths. more or less mirrors a similar ratio. the difference in scale being, I think, down to our lax social distancing. Making us, just before winter Europe's petri dish
We have nurtured a very special kind of twat in this country. It’s a type of twat that you will not find in many other parts of the world. Inevitably, this will have had a bearing on our Covid outcome.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There were, at one point, many gas companies.

In 1948 Clement Attlee's Labour government reshaped the gas industry, enacting the Gas Act 1948. The act nationalised the UK gas industry and 1,064 privately owned and municipal gas companies were merged into twelve area gas boards each a separate body with its own management structure.
Indeed , rather like the water boards, but whether gas or water, the boards were effectively clones so like one company to deal with anywhere in the country. Unlike today's nightmare.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
However we also need to consider whether the unvaccinated are just refusers or are in important ways different to the vaccinated.

Someone very near is half-vaccinated. He has been so ill, for so long, that they could not give him his second injection. And, when he eventually is well enough, he will be treated as totally unvaccinated. But all the while, he is extremely susceptible to any infection - not just Covid.

He is not a refuser - circumstance alone dictates what has happened.
I am not attributing any morality to these figures, .. and for some reason neither does the virus . Incidentally my son, who is in the highly vulnerable category .. CF with lungs that are on their last legs, is getting his booster shot tomorrow.. his last two were AZ and tomorrow's should be Pfizer

• Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whet a dreadful mess we are in, seemingly with everything:

5.6 millions are on long term over two year waiting lists for medical treatment. Taking away the babies and very young unlikely to be on them means nearly a tenth of the country have chronic medical conditions currently, and probably denied treatment long term.

And as if our supply problems aren't bad enough already, our delays in supplying fishing permits to French fishermen means they are on the brink of blockading our ports.

It seems nothing is working well any more.

As Anthony Newley once said, "Stop the World, I want to get off".

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ours are refusers, though not Covid deniers of which there are very few. A quarter (24.6%) have refused any vaccine jab, clearly most don't have any medical condition stopping them and our population profile being London is on the young side. Nor have they lacked opportunities to get vaccinated, we've effectively been Walk-in for ages.

I originally thought, like most, that our very high level of refusers would cause a widespread infection problem, but clearly I was wrong, they haven't. Yet another indication that the vaccines are not what they are hyped to be. Nor is the Delta variant as bad as has been hyped, it appeared here very early but hasn't spoilt our low infection rates.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Whet a dreadful mess we are in, seemingly with everything:

5.6 millions are on long term over two year waiting lists for medical treatment. Taking away the babies and very young unlikely to be on them means nearly a tenth of the country have chronic medical conditions currently, and probably denied treatment long term.

And as if our supply problems aren't bad enough already, our delays in supplying fishing permits to French fishermen means they are on the brink of blockading our ports.

It seems nothing is working well any more.

As Anthony Newley once said, "Stop the World, I want to get off".
I’m not surprised by the state of our medical services. Walk down any high street and look at the state people have got themselves into. I counted the number of fat bastards I encountered along Fore Street in St Ives earlier in the week. Very roughly I would say 60 to 70% were fat knackers and across all ages. Podgy moon faced children to fat purple faced grandads who looked like they were about to pop. It’s disgusting.

It’s time we stopped beating about the bush. These people need telling that they are fat and that they are likely to die early unless they do something about it. Fat shaming is a kindness, not an insult.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I’m not surprised by the state of our medical services. Walk down any high street and look at the state people have got themselves into. I counted the number of fat bastards I encountered along Fore Street in St Ives earlier in the week. Very roughly I would say 60 to 70% were fat knackers and across all ages. Podgy moon faced children to fat purple faced grandads who looked like they were about to pop. It’s disgusting.

It’s time we stopped beating about the bush. These people need telling that they are fat and that they are likely to die early unless they do something about it. Fat shaming is a kindness, not an insult.
The NHS will fix it with whack-a-mole medication regimes, so that lardy fatsos can continue eating crap and doing nothing; not having to change a thing... (I'm an ex-lardy fatso)(3 stones ago)(One stone left to lose).

Advertisers