Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Like me, protecting others. I wear one inside any public building, however empty it might be. Trouble is all the unmasked who are not protecting us. That's making me hesitant about accepting the booster in my circumstances, assuming I ever get offered one. Already overdue now.
I believe (based on a stat I saw somewhere) that masks can protect you by about 17%, which is better than nowt! A good fit is important, which is why I double mask with a KN95; cotton layer on top. But I also have 3M FFP2, which fit very well indeed. By way of example, not a recommendation of this seller:

I only break those out for very special occasions...

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Aged 80, it's 1 in 6.67 (average, unvaccinated)

View attachment 44569
But meaningless again since it's short of data. i.e. whether previously infected by Covid-19. As Professor Spiegelhalter says, that is as effective as vaccination, so one can be unvaccinated but have the low death risk factor of the vaccinated. Possibly even less risk, since it isn't yet known how long this infection protection lasts, it may not fade in the way the vaccines do.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought that in England, people were being told to book their boosters regardless of being invited?
That's only after being contacted. All the over 80s I know have been invited with appointments.

It's an exact repeat of what happening with both the first and second jabs. They all got their invitations, the second at 8 to 10 weeks after the first.

At 84 I had to chase for the first when they had nearly finished doing the 70 year olds, and I had to chase the second too, finally getting it at almost 14 weeks after the first.

I suspect it's related to the GP practice I'm with. I moved into an estate in the very early stages of it being built 54 years ago and was attached to a neighbouring districts practice out of expediency. All the others I know moved in years later and are attached to a different district practice. Trouble is I don't want to change the practice since rather perversely my practice is very close to me and theirs is quite a distance away.

Either the system has lost me or they don't want me to survive.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not to my knowledge. All the over 80s I know have been invited with appointments.

It's an exact repeat of what happening with both the first and second jabs. They all got their invitations, the second at 8 to 10 weeks after the first.

At 84 I had to chase for the first when they had nearly finished doing the 70 year olds, and I had to chase the second too, finally getting it at almost 14 weeks after the first.

I suspect it's related to the GP practice I'm with. I moved into an estate in the very early stages of it being built 54 years ago and was attached to a neighbouring districts practice out of expediency. All the others I know moved in years later and are attached to a different district practice. Trouble is I don't want to change the practice since rather perversely my practice is very close to me and theirs is quite a distance away.
I think you may be able to bypass the GP and simply book online, although I've always waited.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No, read your link, one has to be contacted with eligibility first.
In my experience, a couple of weeks after my second jab was due, I got impatient, started to book online and was accepted by the system. The only reason why I didn't follow through with the online booking process, was because I worried about my booking being accepted by the system online, but being turned away on the day - which would be fine, if it happened outside in the open air at the clipboard ticking stage. You'll never know till you try Flecc. Your GP sounds useless, mine got in touch a little late.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I received a vaccine certificate by requesting one online - it stated what batch was administered when, helped me avoid visiting my GP. My first Az was the Indian version, now accepted everywhere that American Express is.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Oodles of muscle is problematic for the heart, which partly why I've allowed myself to shrink - but the real reason is laziness. Despite having shrunk (fast-twitch muscle) for over 30 years, and inflated (fat), I've retained a substantial proportion of my strength. If it isn't too personal a question for you to answer, what is and was your oil pressure, I mean blood pressure? Mine was 165 over something (can't recall perfectly, the world was somewhat blurry back then) three stones ago, now 133/78.
Had high blood pressure most of life but never near 165..(first figure?) that's crazy high.. I think at highest it was 110/170.??(at time they treated over 100 but think that threshold has been lowered)
Generally 90/140 nowadays... Thats on medication and off salt.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Generally 90/140 nowadays... Thats on medication and off salt.
Holy moly - you need to get down to 120 or less ASAP! Any way you can! (IMHO {non-professional})

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Had high blood pressure most of life but never near 165..(first figure?) that's crazy high..
Yes, I'm lucky to be alive: Extreme stress, Redbulls and vodka, salt, sugar, coffee, excessive meat, cigars, cigarettes, 4 hours of sleep a night, working to much for too long and too hard, but making bank. Was a fatter lardarse,

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Holy moly - you need to get down to 120 or less ASAP! Any way you can! (IMHO {non-professional})
I,m getting my systolic dystolics mixed around.. Mine is 140 ish/90...
I,m not obsessed with taking readings... I, d be doing it all time with AF and high blood pressure. Take meds, eat well and exercise and forget it.. Till next review which by coincidence is on Monday. Awaiting another Ablation...

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I,m getting my systolic dystolics mixed around.. Mine is 140 ish/90...
I,m not obsessed with taking readings... I, d be doing it all time with AF and high blood pressure. Take meds, eat well and exercise and forget it.. Till next review which by coincidence is on Monday. Awaiting another Ablation...
That high reading was taken at hospital, about an hour after a very large delicious meal at home, and a strong coffee with three sugars (it's a big cup!) from the hospital cafe. I'm obsessed with getting a lower reading, without having to resort to medication - my Doctor tried really hard to convince me to take statins, but I said I'd lose weight and get fitter instead. I'm still healthy enough to remain on that journey, for now... My particular ebike is crap for fitness, but slow jogging and intermittent fasting have served my body well.

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That high reading was taken at hospital, about an hour after a very large delicious meal at home, and a strong coffee with three sugars (it's a big cup!) from the hospital cafe. I'm obsessed with getting a lower reading, without having to resort to medication - my Doctor tried really hard to convince me to take statins, but I said I'd lose weight and get fitter instead. I'm still healthy enough to remain on that journey, for now... My particular ebike is crap for fitness, but slow jogging and intermittent fasting have served my body well.
I just took the meds... But not statins..Doing fine... Even with irregular heart rate.. (AF)

This is me out sailing other day... With AF, high blood pressure and knackered knee.. Oh, and a previous injury 25 years ago (now repaired) of a broken neck. (done in similar conditions)
Screenshot_20211031_115421.jpg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But meaningless again since it's short of data. i.e. whether previously infected by Covid-19. As Professor Spiegelhalter says, that is as effective as vaccination, so one can be unvaccinated but have the low death risk factor of the vaccinated. Possibly even less risk, since it isn't yet known how long this infection protection lasts, it may not fade in the way the vaccines do.
I had my Pfizer booster jab earlier this week. Unlike the AZ, the Pfizer gave a much stronger reaction. A small lump at the injection site and a sore arm for 4 days. Substitute the sore arm for lungs, it's not difficult to imagine what effect a real covid infection has on a pensioner. The professor may be right on statistics if he talks about schoolchildren but leaving to nature is not a realistic proposition for pensioners.

Reactions: Danidl

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I just took the meds... But not statins..Doing fine... Even with irregular heart rate.. (AF)

This is me out sailing other day... With AF, high blood pressure and knackered knee.. Oh, and a previous injury 25 years ago (now repaired) of a broken neck. (done in similar conditions)
View attachment 44577
Ask at your review whether lower blood pressure, gained through diet and exercise changes, would help reduce your AF?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
View attachment 44577
As a non-professional - I think that walking long distances (at a manageable fast pace) would be better, but less exciting. Another question for your review?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
No, read your link, one has to be contacted with eligibility first.
Sorry this is a paywall'd item - but the frst I found reporting what I thought and suggested is the case:

Over-50s can now book a Covid booster without NHS invitation

Sajid Javid announces change after complaints that eligible people are being turned away from clinics

By Sarah Knapton, Science Editor and Lizzie Roberts, Health Reporter 20 October 2021 • 8:17pm

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The professor may be right on statistics if he talks about schoolchildren but leaving to nature is not a realistic proposition for pensioners.
He's not saying that. His data is all long before the kids were being jabbed, most of it from long before any of the younger groups were.

Once one has been infected, the natural protection is at least equal to the vaccines at whatever one's age is. Vaccines then only duplicate what one has for that age.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry this is a paywall'd item - but the frst I found reporting what I thought and suggested is the case:
That happened last time too, but it wasn't true then either, since my contact attempt was still blocked. I had to chase via the surgery each time.

Advertisers