Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
So far it has done the earliest infections, giving proven protection against the Alpha (Kent) and the Delta variants.

We cannot forecast the future course of Covid, but history shows we always triumph in the end with our own immunity. If that wasn't true+ we wouldn't exist any more.
Flecc.. I don't believe that the Covid infection is an "extinction level event" , but I think you are being disingenuous. The reasons why our population has survived as a species' for the 200,000 years is that they developed strategies. Chief amongst successful strategies was quarantine. and of course geographic isolation, and the fact that travel took time. So a contagion might flare up anywhere, kill entire populations or leave a few survivors, peters out .. , new people arrive .wash and repeat.
Gaining immunity by multiple infections is a very expensive path. With vaccination we have another string to our bow..
Now that a person has survived Covid, and has developed the antibodies will probably have provided enhanced immunity compared to a vaccine . That is what our professor argued , The point being that a full infection provides the entire protein jacket for the human antibody detection. However she also argued that it is a very expensive lesson. As I continue to point out, the vaccines continue to provide excellent Immunity from Delta. At this stage your UK population have 1/6 have had a proper Covid infection and 45/66 have been properly vaccinated. So what fraction of your UK hospital population are neither ...

Reactions: Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
No it is not anything of the sort, you're view is extreme. Most of the things we enjoy in life could be better and only get better when their defects are commented upon.

At present with so much excess praise and apologists for the vaccines there's no incentive for change. That's already been proven. We've known for years the hovering threat of Sars 2 and the certainty that we'd get hit in due course, but big pharma did little to nothing about that.

Nor should they of course since they aren't a charity when there can only be costs and no profit for their shareholders.
Flecc, you are discussing the reasoning behind having the vaccine. You take the decision based on research or advice from NHS but it's impossible to be anything but a binary decision. You take it or you don't. The level of protection it affords might be somewhere between 0 and 100% protection but that's to do with efficy and not uptake.

You decided to have vaccine. A binary choice. My friend decided against it. The opposing binary choice. Nothing in between.
You arguing against the vaccine is wrong because you assessed situation and came down with your binary choice to have it. But much of your reasoning could be used to refuse jab. (aspects listed earlier)
The whole subject is over researched and over discussed. Its exactly the reason so many are refusing it... They find justification, as you do, to criticise most aspects of a proven vaccine.
We would be in a far worse state without it, I suspect all of us still locked up in our houses. The vaccine works, it's stopping people dying, keeping numbers down in hospital and keeping people off ventilators. Yes it's not stopping the disease in its tracks and probably never will, but that at moment is almost irrelevant because it's best vaccine we have and irrespective of every negative aspect everybody should have it. So why point out its failings. Its irrelevant iuntil there is a better option.
It's like telling your goal keeper he, s rubbish at goal kicks, he already knows, we don't have another keeper and he makes some fantastic saves nobody else in team can. He, s needed, just like our vaccine is.
Expressing all the negative aspects just gives cause for some not to take up the vaccine... Which I find unfair when you made choice to take vaccine. ie) you helped appoint goal keeper.

Today we have had 44k new infections and 45 deaths. Without vaccines what do folk think those figures would be today, all other things being equal?
It's utterly hypothetical but I suspect a zero on both figures??
Perhaps its time we made more noise about what the vaccines are doing rather than what they are not.. Or how many saves that keeper is making..
We might find more people taking it up then and we might not need another keeper.. Other positions are starting to need looking at..

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Gaining immunity by multiple infections is a very expensive path.
I don't accept that. London's better current outcomes with very low vaccination rates have largely been from infection gained immunity.

Overall from beginning to the present of the pandemic, Londons Covid death rates are the same as the rest of the country. Given that we had a near two month infection start from 29th January 2020 on the rest of the country and being the highest density population area of the country, we have clearly gained from the infection path to immunity by having the same outcome over a longer time in worse circumstances.

Those are the facts, gaining immunity that way has clearly not cost us at all, quite the opposite. Your professor is wrong to claim it's necessarily an expensive route. In our case it's been a bargain with a substantial saving in vaccine costs due to the lower acceptance rates.

That isn't something I'd advocate, like you I believe in using both paths to minimise the risks.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I don't accept that. London's better current outcomes with very low vaccination rates have largely been from infection gained immunity.

Overall from beginning to the present of the pandemic, Londons Covid death rates are the same as the rest of the country. Given that we had a near two month infection start from 29th January 2020 on the rest of the country and being the highest density population area of the country, we have clearly gained from the infection path to immunity by having the same outcome over a longer time in worse circumstances.

Those are the facts, gaining immunity that way has clearly not cost us at all, quite the opposite. Your professor is wrong to claim it's necessarily an expensive route. In our case it's been a bargain with a substantial saving in vaccine costs due to the lower acceptance rates.

That isn't something I'd advocate, like you I believe in using both paths to minimise the risks.
It has cost the 2% who have died quite a lot . It will probably cost perhaps 5% more with long covid or linked chronic illnesses a lot into the future .... that is what i meant by expensive. Moreover being an early adopter of the" what doent kill you makes you strong ", policy the death rate for early adopters was up at the 6% level. Improvements in hospital care and treatment has improved over the longer term , reducing the mortality rates

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Lavishly funded Moderna hits safety problems in bold bid to revolutionize medicine
  • Damian Garde
By Damian Garde Jan. 10, 2017
so no covid bias and a report of what mrna drugs were developed for and failed!

In order to protect mRNA molecules from the body’s natural defenses, drug developers must wrap them in a protective casing. For Moderna, that meant putting its Crigler-Najjar therapy in nanoparticles made of lipids. And for its chemists, those nanoparticles created a daunting challenge: Dose too little, and you don’t get enough enzyme to affect the disease; dose too much, and the drug is too toxic for patients.

public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase

if you dont want to catch any virus then buy a bloody military grade gas mask.

if i thought there was a real risk of a deadly virus id have one already but it would of been cheaper to give every one a gas mask to go shopping in lmfao.

seen the size of the new booster jab

100ml it will be fine and passport stamped for the next ten years yay :p

DWP Response

The DWP has the information you have requested.

The Vaccine Damage Payments Scheme (VDPS) provides a one-off tax free payment,
currently £120,000, to those people who are severely disabled as a result of vaccination
against a specified disease, within the meaning of the Act.

It is not compensation. It is a payment to help ease the financial burden for those individuals
where, on very rare occasions, vaccination has caused severe disablement. The Scheme
does not prejudice the right of the disabled person to pursue a claim for damages through the
courts. It should be considered in context with the range of support, financial and otherwise,
that is available to disabled people in the UK, for example, free healthcare, social care
support and disability benefits

what they dont tell you is if you do manage to win as it is over 16k you will loose all or any benefits you receive they care that much under universal credit.

Alert: Very Big Rise in Universal Credit Benefit Sanctions

Big Issue warns of ‘mass homelessness’ amid rising bills and rent

get me one of these then off to France dump me papers and come back in me boat and get put up in a 5 star hotel for 30 months and free takeaways :p

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Reasons to be cheerful part three from the resident ray of sunshine.

Good luck with the Dinghy and don't forget your puncture outfit

By the way if the BBC do broadcast that warning, the best plan is to bend over and kiss your ass goodbye! :D

• :D
Reactions: oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Soundwave with exemplary explanation of why Cannabis must remain illegal and law be fully upheld.
Amazing isn't it. Refuses jab (I assume) but fills his lungs with totally untested, uncertified, none standardised weed grown by some unknown bloke who is getting rich on proceeds of perhaps a 1000% price mark up. But his vaccine must be tested, proved effective and given to him for free.
Crazy world we live in.
Then he comes on here with this lot...
Does he really think Moderna products are more dangerous than the stuff he ingests daily for fun.?
That's Internet research for you these days.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Lavishly funded Moderna hits safety problems in bold bid to revolutionize medicine
  • Damian Garde
By Damian Garde Jan. 10, 2017
so no covid bias and a report of what mrna drugs were developed for and failed!

In order to protect mRNA molecules from the body’s natural defenses, drug developers must wrap them in a protective casing. For Moderna, that meant putting its Crigler-Najjar therapy in nanoparticles made of lipids. And for its chemists, those nanoparticles created a daunting challenge: Dose too little, and you don’t get enough enzyme to affect the disease; dose too much, and the drug is too toxic for patients.

public health bodies in the UK have reviewed the most up to date information about COVID-19 against the UK HCID criteria. They have determined that several features have now changed; in particular, more information is available about mortality rates (low overall), and there is now greater clinical awareness and a specific and sensitive laboratory test, the availability of which continues to increase

if you dont want to catch any virus then buy a bloody military grade gas mask.

if i thought there was a real risk of a deadly virus id have one already but it would of been cheaper to give every one a gas mask to go shopping in lmfao.

seen the size of the new booster jab
View attachment 44817

100ml it will be fine and passport stamped for the next ten years yay :p

DWP Response

The DWP has the information you have requested.

The Vaccine Damage Payments Scheme (VDPS) provides a one-off tax free payment,
currently £120,000, to those people who are severely disabled as a result of vaccination
against a specified disease, within the meaning of the Act.

It is not compensation. It is a payment to help ease the financial burden for those individuals
where, on very rare occasions, vaccination has caused severe disablement. The Scheme
does not prejudice the right of the disabled person to pursue a claim for damages through the
courts. It should be considered in context with the range of support, financial and otherwise,
that is available to disabled people in the UK, for example, free healthcare, social care
support and disability benefits

what they dont tell you is if you do manage to win as it is over 16k you will loose all or any benefits you receive they care that much under universal credit.

Alert: Very Big Rise in Universal Credit Benefit Sanctions

Big Issue warns of ‘mass homelessness’ amid rising bills and rent

get me one of these then off to France dump me papers and come back in me boat and get put up in a 5 star hotel for 30 months and free takeaways :p

You‘ve got too much time on your hands. Get a job, stop being a parasite and don’t allow your weak mind to be influenced by Derek Dickhead’s Facetube rants. If you can pull off just one of these things, you’ll notice a step improvement in your quality of life.

• :D
Reactions: daveboy and Zlatan

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The terrible legacy of long covid was laid bare yesterday during Johnson’s speech to the CBI. A graphic illustration that the threat from the disease is greater than the threat from the vaccine. His performance was the most dreadful, embarrassing and cringe-worthy show by any British Prime Minister since 17/11/2021 (last Wednesday) when he appeared at PMQs.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
Bulb has fallen victim to the energy farce I see. Never used them, but I understand they were one of the better skimmers / middle men / dice rolling chancers upon who the country relies for its energy. Why doesn’t the government use this opportunity to reboot this shambles and nationalise the entire sector?

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
You‘ve got too much time on your hands. Get a job, stop being a parasite and don’t allow your weak mind to be influenced by Derek Dickhead’s Facetube rants. If you can pull off just one of these things, you’ll notice a step improvement in your quality of life.
Don't beat about the bush JC... Come straight to point why don't you?

Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The terrible legacy of long covid was laid bare yesterday during Johnson’s speech to the CBI. A graphic illustration that the threat from the disease is greater than the threat from the vaccine. His performance was the most dreadful, embarrassing and cringe-worthy show by any British Prime Minister since 17/11/2021 (last Wednesday) when he appeared at PMQs.
I rather liked this tweet
"
THE SECRET TORY@secrettory1
Level 2:

You think that's bad, you should have heard the speech he gave to Peppa Pig World about the CBI.

:D

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Agree too much more of this and the Tories will ditch him. They are more ruthless than Labour when it comes to their leaders which might help explain why they win more GEs. Once their leader slips from being an asset to a liability they usually get rid of them fairly quickly.
I'd tend to agree but he slipped a long time ago and they haven't moved yet. Maybe they don't want too long for a new leader/PM to become extremely unpopular before the next GE?

I suspect they will face a LOT of calls for an early GE whoever takes over and whenever that is. There is pretty much nothing of the manifesto left that hasn't been trashed.

Advertisers