Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The author in the link below thinks we are at least 30 years from having fusion power available on our grid network. I wonder if some of the huge profits companies like Shell and BP have recently had due to the energy price rises could be diverted into fusion power research and perhaps speed up development and bring down that 30 year time horizon to 20 years or even less.
The power of stars to meet our energy needs? This is something to be excited about | Arthur Turrell | The Guardian
I think we need to be careful not to put all (or even most) research funds into something that has not yet been proved practical.

Also, imagine that we end up with extremely cheap electricity. I foresee gross "waste" - such as no-one any longer caring about insulation. Heating every room of the house - and the patio - regardless.

The extra release of energy, particularly in cities, could have an appalling impact.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The author in the link below thinks we are at least 30 years from having fusion power available on our grid network. I wonder if some of the huge profits companies like Shell and BP have recently had due to the energy price rises could be diverted into fusion power research and perhaps speed up development and bring down that 30 year time horizon to 20 years or even less.
The power of stars to meet our energy needs? This is something to be excited about | Arthur Turrell | The Guardian
I go even further, I believe 30 years is totally unrealistic, even to achieve it experimentally in usable quantities and it may well be that we will never achieve useful fusion. Many billions have already been poured into that research so I'm not in favour of spending even more on a likely dead end.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Nev and oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I dont know whether you'll see this reply since you originally put me on Ignore, but the video conclusions are right. As I originally posted to you that seemed to annoy you, they are "There is no one correct diet for everyone" and "Eat a balanced diet".

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Start the day with a laugh

Jacob Rees-Mogg hails report that ‘transforms UK trade policy’
The Brexit Opportunities minister says he backs calls to unilaterally accept foreign rules to free up trade

In the Torygraph.

• :D
  • Agree
Reactions: oyster and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I go even further, I believe 30 years is totally unrealistic, even to achieve it experimentally in usable quantities and it may well be that we will never achieve useful fusion. Many billions have already been poured into that research so I'm not in favour of spending even more on a likely dead end.
The biggest obstacle is confinement of the very hot and unstable plasma.
Maybe we should take the next tokamak into space.
China has a much bigger stake in fusion because of the amount they spend of imported oil and gas. Their achievements are usually ignored by Western media. I reckon they will achieve commercial fusion tokamaks well before the West.
Their last record was last July, 101 seconds at 120 million degrees Celsius, over 1,000 seconds at 60 million C a couple of weeks ago, while we managed less than a minute with our tokamak.

• Informative
Reactions: Nev and flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney