Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Looking at what has happened since WW2, surely you meant the USA?

They are by far the champions in this field.
one wrong doer does not justify another wrong doer though.
Right now, Putin has displaced about 10 million Ukrainians and made about 4 million homeless.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
one wrong doer does not justify another wrong doer though.
I haven't said it did, I was rhetorically questioning why the treatment of the two is so different.

One shrugged off, the other uniquely treated hysterically.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some of us have been rather aghast at US adventurism.
I certainly have been equally appalled by the military direct actions and proxy wars of the USA, China and Israel, but I've felt very alone in that much of the time.

For the USA to still be in the human rights council with Russia suspended ilustrates only too well the immense bias.

• :D
  • Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I haven't said it did, I was rhetorically questioning why the treatment of the two is so different.

I'm not convinced of the moral equivalence. If I were Egyptian the west's support of Al sissi as part of deposing the Muslim brotherhood would be galling. But not quite the same as being Ukrainian, having voted for my elected pro western government and being bombed and having friends and relatives raped and slaughtered by an invading army from a Russian mafia state.

Reactions: POLLY and Zlatan

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

the USA's wars were then, and not a subject on this thread. Also, except in Vietnam, those wars involved only a small percentage of US fighting troops or none in the case of Israel, Syria, Libya etc.
Putin's war is now and takes place in Europe, within driving distance and very well documented.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not convinced of the moral equivalence. If I were Egyptian the west's support of Al sissi as part of deposing the Muslim brotherhood would be galling. But not quite the same as being Ukrainian, having voted for my elected pro western government and being bombed and having friends and relatives raped and slaughtered by an invading army from a Russian mafia state.
I didn't have in mind such a soft American alternative. You're perhaps too young to know of burning huge numbers of people alive with napalm, or using agent orange to defoliate, knowing it will result in generations of babies born with thalidomide like multiple deformities, actions equally used against civilians.

And the development of the B52 expressly to carpet bomb, as indiscriminate a slaughter method as any devised.

And the little matter of three weeks of continuous shock and awe assault on the civilian residents of Baghdad, killing thousands.

And of course the USA is the only country to have used nuclear bombs, two of them killing a quarter million of almost entirely civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Agaisnt these the Russians in Ukraine are mere amateurs, especially when much they are accused of is either faked or wildly exaggerated in typical wartime propaganda mode.

Reactions: Jimod and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
the USA's wars were then, and not a subject on this thread. Also, except in Vietnam, those wars involved only a small percentage of US fighting troops or none in the case of Israel, Syria, Libya etc.
Putin's war is now and takes place in Europe, within driving distance and very well documented.
Things happening within living memory are entirely relevant. And you are once again being very selective in not mentioning Iraq and Afghanistan Those flying war planes are also combatants, so Libya and Syria are included.

Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
And the development of the B52
... as a nuclear bomber. At least, that is what I always thought. Hence, the huge range. Get to first target, go on to second target (if necessary) then fail to get home. And individual nuclear bombs were very large and heavy, hence its capacity.

• Disagree
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
... as a nuclear bomber. At least, that is what I always thought. Hence, the huge range. Get to first target, go on to second target (if necessary) then fail to get home. And individual nuclear bombs were very large and heavy, hence its capacity.
Though initially intended for the deterrent of nuclear bombs, the B52 from the outset also had the launching facilities for continuous streams of conventional bombs to make it a more usable bomber and that was how it was used in North Vietnam and since in other theatres, carpet bombing.

Some of the later B52G were also equipped with air to ship weapons and finally cruise missiles.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I didn't have in mind such a soft American alternative. You're perhaps too young to know of burning huge numbers of people alive with napalm, or using agent orange to defoliate, knowing it will result in generations of babies born with thalidomide like multiple deformities, actions equally used against civilians.

And the development of the B52 expressly to carpet bomb, as indiscriminate a slaughter method as any devised.

And the little matter of three weeks of continuous shock and awe assault on the civilian residents of Baghdad, killing thousands.

And of course the USA is the only country to have used nuclear bombs, two of them killing a quarter million of almost entirely civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Agaisnt these the Russians in Ukraine are mere amateurs, especially when much they are accused of is either faked or wildly exaggerated in typical wartime propaganda mode.
You were doing fine until the last sentence. There is no movie set designer around capable of recreating the images of Mariupol etc. If these were movie sets etc, it is not beyond the wit of the Russians to fly a spy plane over and show the actual damage. .. Even the ISS overflies the region and a high resolution camera would show the pristine beaches and streets.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You were doing fine until the last sentence. There is no movie set designer around capable of recreating the images of Mariupol etc. If these were movie sets etc, it is not beyond the wit of the Russians to fly a spy plane over and show the actual damage. .. Even the ISS overflies the region and a high resolution camera would show the pristine beaches and streets.
Why do you always get the wrong end of the stick? From the very beginning I've made it absolutely clear in my posts that the war in Ukraine would mimick what happened in Georgia, i.e. massive infrastructure damage.

So as I not only acknowledge that but predicted it accurately before it began, so obviously the post you quote was not in any way a reference to such damage in Mariupol or anywhere else. Of course that can't be faked.

I'm posting about the things that can be and obviously are being faked or deliberately misreported. I'm quite sure you are capable of knowing what those are without me spelling it out.

Reactions: Jimod and POLLY

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Things happening within living memory are entirely relevant. And you are once again being very selective in not mentioning Iraq and Afghanistan Those flying war planes are also combatants, so Libya and Syria are included.
there will be atrocities in all wars, but what makes Ukraine different is the war in Europe, making it partly our war. So it's easy to see why that most posters on this thread do not like Mr Putin.
I am usually do not have a go at heads of states but for once would like to see him tried in the ICC as a war criminal.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
there will be atrocities in all wars, but what makes Ukraine different is the war in Europe, making it partly our war. So it's easy to see why that most posters on this thread do not like Mr Putin.
I am usually do not have a go at heads of states but for once would like to see him tried in the ICC as a war criminal.
Probably all of us do not like Putin, I strongly dislike him and his methods of both war and politics, especially as he's got worse over time.

I don't think he has the importance that many think he has. Russian presidents only rarely last long term, Putin like Stalin being an exception to date. The post war USSR had seven presidents and the following Russian Federation has had three, so I wont be surprised to see Putin shifted before too long.

But I don't see that changing Russian policy very much since it is bound at a quite fundamental level with China's aspirations and some other non-western countries. They'll still be "the other side", which only the EU could change by detaching itself from the USA to allow inclusive European co-operation with Russia.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Putin wants the land of Eastern Ukraine to belong to Russia.
That's different. Not many conflicts are about land and when it is, it's usually ethnic cleansing but not this one. It's about history. Putin wants to go back to before the Bolsheviks.
I don't think another Russian president would see things his way.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Speaking of the joy of dropping consecutive nuclear bombs, I see rishi is being roasted (turns out he was our first American chancelor)

• Informative
Reactions: POLLY and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's about history. Putin wants to go back to before the Bolsheviks.
I don't think another Russian president would see things his way.
But his replacement could be far worse. Putin saw the military threat that Ukraine had become and was mindful of history, which is why he insisted to his inner circle that Russia had to act now before it was too late.

In fact it was already somewhat too late as we are now seeing, and even more so now with the scale of western help that Ukraine has and will continue to receive.

Whoever takes over will have to face up to that threat and deal with it somehow, before Russia is more seriously threatened by Ukraine and Georgia with NATO membership and Belarus deserting the ship.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Why do you always get the wrong end of the stick? From the very beginning I've made it absolutely clear in my posts that the war in Ukraine would mimick what happened in Georgia, i.e. massive infrastructure damage.

So as I not only acknowledge that but predicted it accurately before it began, so obviously the post you quote was not in any way a reference to such damage in Mariupol or anywhere else. Of course that can't be faked.

I'm posting about the things that can be and obviously are being faked or deliberately misreported. I'm quite sure you are capable of knowing what those are without me spelling it out.
I did not get the wrong end of the stick... You stated at the end that "much of what they are being accused of is either fake or highly exaggerated." . that is what I called you out on.. The Russians are downright lying again and again, and they basically don't care whether they are believable . Take the 50+ murders today when 2 rockets were lobbed into a crowd of 4000 at a railway station. They knew that those civilians were leaving the East , they were attempting to stop them. They then trip out ludicrous statements like it couldn't be us... . When I heard yesterday of crowds congregating at these stations , I felt something like this would happen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did not get the wrong end of the stick...
Yes you did, you inferred that I believed that the destruction of buildings like that at Mariupol was faked, an utterly ridiculous accusation. You don't seem to realise how insulting and offensive you can be with your unjustified superiority complex.

Advertisers