Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Price cap set at £3549.00 There will be some happy faces this morning.

My garage has 1500 kilos of coal stacked up In there, the wood store is full and more wood is stored at the top of the garden. Let’s get those CO2 emissions going.

Incidentally, I didn’t realise the cost of wind and sunshine had risen so dramatically. It’s either that or the retards who run the government have linked the unit price for renewables to the cost of generating a unit using gas. Yep, guess what? The windmill owners must be laughing their cocks off today.

I‘m pretty sure the lights will be going out this winter. The government have said they won’t, which makes me more confident they will.

ps has anyone seen the government recently? It feels like nobody is at the controls.
.. thats why they call them windfall profits , sunshine!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Price cap set at £3549.00
No good to me, my normal usage in my small property will be below that on the threatened prices.

Incidentally, I didn’t realise the cost of wind and sunshine had risen so dramatically. It’s either that or the retards who run the government have linked the unit price for renewables to the cost of generating a unit using gas.
Of course they have, and once again the hidden intent is to "tax" us yet more, all part of the concealed policy they've been running since they returned to power with George Osborne's austerity program. That policy is to reduce general living standards, getting us used to living a poorer, lower quality life by enforcement.

They know there isn't any solution to the long term decline we've been in since 1950, so to keep their place at the top table of nations, the people must have less so the government has more.

I‘m pretty sure the lights will be going out this winter. The government have said they won’t, which makes me more confident they will.
They are banking on price rationing doing the trick to avoid that, people using less simply because they will be unable to afford to use all they need. This was first signalled as policy when they dropped the planned necessary program of several new Chinese reactors in addition to Hinckley point, currently reduced to just one, Sizewell C.

That leaves two options, the lights go out at times, or the current has to be priced beyond affordability to restrict usage, given that the Smart Meter program has failed to reduce usage. High current price is the choice and the Ukraine war is just the convenient excuse to implement it.

Last edited:
Reactions: tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
No good to me, my normal usage in my small property will be below that on the threatened prices.

Of course they have, and once again the hidden intent is to "tax" us yet more, all part of the concealed policy they've been running since they returned to power with George Osborne's austerity program. That policy is to reduce general living standards, getting us used to living a poorer, lower quality life by enforcement.

They know there isn't any solution to the long term decline we've been in since 1950, so to keep their place at the top table of nations, the people must have less so the government has more.

They are banking on price rationing doing the trick to avoid that, people using less simply because they will be unable to afford to use all they need. This was first signalled as policy when they dropped the planned necessary program of several new Chinese reactors in addition to Hinckley point, currently reduced to just one, Sizewell C.

That left two options, the lights go out, or the current had to be priced beyond affordability to restrict usage, given that the Smart Meter program had failed to reduce usage. Hifgh current price is the choice and the Ukraine war is just the convenient excuse to implement it.
I live in a big old draughty Victorian era house. It’s a nightmare to heat from November through to March. We usually live in just a couple of rooms during that period. Coal and log fires usually keep my energy bills to around 0.75 of price cap. 0.75 of a big number is still a lot though.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I live in a big old draughty Victorian era house. It’s a nightmare to heat from November through to March. We usually live in just a couple of rooms during that period. Coal and log fires usually keep my energy bills to around 0.75 of price cap. 0.75 of a big number is still a lot though.
As a single person I've long had a "one room" life in winters, heating only my lounge/diner/kitchen open plan most of the time.

The bathroom and bedroom are dealt with only when used, by hitting them very briefly with high heat levels. Four kilowatts in a compact modern bathroom or five kilowatts in a small bedroom heats either near instantly before their initial cold can affect me. It's a method that is remarkably economical, a minute of excessive 4 or 5 kW to raise a small room to warmth being far cheaper than half an hour or more of inadequate 2 kW struggling to raise the temperature.

Reactions: tillson

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Most likely but the meter displays it a monthly!
I'm confused by mine which seems to include the electricity standing charge on the amount used, but not the gas standing charge. (The confusion being why on earth it should be like that - I understand what it is showing.)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm confused by mine which seems to include the electricity standing charge on the amount used, but not the gas standing charge. (The confusion being why on earth it should be like that - I understand what it is showing.)
Exactly, It is to confuse you, the supply companies policy of not wanting you to understand their pricing.

Take my supplier. They had excellent billing with clearly showed monthly accounts with absolutely everything detailed. Not only that, to monitor everything I could go online at any time to look at every monthly bill going back years, all holding every detail.

But now under different management all that past billing and the monthly details have all disappeared. Instead the bill for last month was shown as three bulk amounts. One charging all the usage from exactly a year ago to the first price increase. The second the bulk amount for the usage to the second price increase. The third the bulk amount for the usage since on the third price.

Then the gross total is shown and below it a credit for all the payments I made over that year of three periods.

So with this billing complexity all the information I need to manage my usage has gone, so I now have to maintain my own record of units used by month and year.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Exactly, It is to confuse you, the supply companies policy of not wanting you to understand their pricing.

Take my supplier. They had excellent billing with clearly showed monthly accounts with absolutely everything detailed. Not only that, to monitor everything I could go online at any time to look at every monthly bill going back years, all holding every detail.

But now under different management all that past billing and the monthly details have all disappeared. Instead the bill for last month was shown as three bulk amounts. One charging all the usage from exactly a year ago to the first price increase. The second the bulk amount for the usage to the second price increase. The third the bulk amount for the usage since on the third price.

Then the gross total is shown and below it a credit for all the payments I made over that year of three periods.

So with this billing complexity all the information I need to manage my usage has gone, so I now have to maintain my own record of units used by month and year.
I do exactly the same using a spreadsheet onto which I enter the date & meter readings.

Pricing has been made deliberately complex and difficult to make comparisons.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fuel prices

October 2021 price cap = £1,277 a year.

New October price cap = £3,549 a year.

Prediction** for the January 2023 price cap = £5,387 a year

Prediction** for the April 2023 price cap = £6,616

** The energy consultancy firm Cornwall Insight on Friday.

It's going to be interesting to say the least to find out how a new PM will make it possible for the public to afford these, without further massive borrowing.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
those estimates are fanciful. In 2020, freight costs went up 1,000% for similar reasons. Then it was covid. Now it's Ukraine.
It's not like the world is short of natural gas or other fossil fuels. I was looking this afternoon at 5kw-20kw Chinese wind turbines, they cost about £2,000-£4000, very affordable.
Our politicians are keen to boost profit of some hedge funds and energy businesses. I wonder if not because they are very good political donors.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
those estimates are fanciful.
Probably.

But even the new cap of £3549 is unaffordable for a high proportion of UK consumers.

Any increases in January and April will increasingly have to paid by government subsidy where consumers cannot pay them, which means large scale borrowing.

The sensible thing for us and the EU countries to do is return to the long standing German policy, which I've also long advocated, make peace with Russia, to which I add, ditch the USA.

Without Europe the USA will be isolated with no friends of any size, where they deserve to be.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The sensible thing for us and the EU countries to do is return to the long standing German policy, which I've also long advocated, make peace with Russia, to which I add, ditch the USA.
what we should do is to do what Gordon Brown did for the 2008 banking crisis. Call up a G7 meeting and thrash out a plan. Countries that import gas agree to cut about 10% of their gas imports, countries that export gas need to increase their export. That will stop the hedge funds betting on ever increasing wholesale price of gas. In the UK, government has to waive for a short period planning requirement for any installation of renewables: wind turbines, solar panels etc. We only need to add about 5% of our generation capacity via renewables to stop this misery. Wind farms have lots of cash to invest in new equipment, Europe is awash with older decommissioned wind turbines but which still have years of life left in them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danidl and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
what we should do is to do what Gordon Brown did for the 2008 banking crisis. Call up a G7 meeting and thrash out a plan. Countries that import gas agree to cut about 10% of their gas imports, countries that export gas need to increase their export. That will stop the hedge funds betting on ever increasing wholesale price of gas. In the UK, government has to waive for a short period planning requirement for any installation of renewables: wind turbines, solar panels etc. We only need to add about 5% of our generation capacity via renewables to stop this misery. Wind farms have lots of cash to invest in new equipment, Europe is awash with older decommissioned wind turbines but which still have years of life left in them.
Workable, although taking time, but I didn't only mean an accord with Russia for energy reasons alone. Russia is a European country and it's madness to have the situation we have today with war and diplomatic hostility, entirely caused by the USA's ineptitude and bigotry from the early 1990s to today,

Europe should take the bull by the horns, scrap NATO, make peace with Russia and isolate the USA to neutralise the danger it presents to the world.

• Agree
  • :D
Reactions: Jimod and POLLY

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think the plan is to get so many ppl that cant afford to pay for electric and gas they will come up with lets put everyone in debt on smart pre pay meters that cost even more to use and reports the usage back to them 48 times a day to screw you even harder.

they wont give a crap if you freeze or starve to death and the dwp has no duty of care for the public you will be better of in prison that cost 40k per year.

the garden centre got raided buy a load of kids couple of weeks ago and nothing in the local rag about it as dont want ppl to know about it and the new ebike shop is next door so lucky they never got done as well.

Advertisers