Brexit, for once some facts.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Just been reading about some green peace activists interrupting truss`s speech with a banner saying “Who voted for this?” it should have been “Who voted for that?”..................
Just the question forex traders asked themselves
And good luck labeling them "anti growth" or throwing them out.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster and guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just the question forex traders asked themselves
And good luck labeling them "anti growth" or throwing them out.
Truss will have to do a U-turn on tax cuts sooner or later because the priority is now to reduce long term yield on treasury bonds or a lot of pension funds can't meet their margin calls. Millions of pensioners are going to lose a large chunk of their pension.

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative
  • Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Truss will have to do a U-turn on tax cuts sooner or later because the priority is now to reduce long term yield on treasury bonds or a lot of pension funds can't meet their margin calls. Millions of pensioners are going to lose a large chunk of their pension.
And landlords, or anyone sitting on a property portfolio
the tory base must be utterly chuffed

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Ben Wallis's trustworthy chubby salesman look worries me

• Agree
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And landlords, or anyone sitting on a property portfolio
the tory base must be utterly chuffed
My son's fixed rate mortgage will lapse next year.
I am wondering how they are going to cope with the rise.
Nobody in London would vote for Truss.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Confirmed incompetence of the highest order:

Bank confirms pension funds almost collapsed amid market meltdown
Official explains how promise to buy up to £65bn of government debt staved off destructive UK financial spiral

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The BoE may have to repeat the same.
The price of long term gilts has dropped so much that pension funds lost hundreds of billions, possibly 500 Bn.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The BoE may have to repeat the same.
The price of long term gilts has dropped so much that pension funds lost hundreds of billions, possibly 500 Bn.
It's really time to call time on this Government it has become more dangerous than being invaded by an enemy, and I don't mean Russia, I mean a competent one

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's really time to call time on this Government it has become more dangerous than being invaded by an enemy, and I don't mean Russia, I mean a competent one
Not just you and me:
Liz Truss: No one voted for this. Rip up your plans or call a General Election.

https://act.38degrees.org.uk/act/rip-it-up-or-let-us-vote

Call an immediate general election to end the chaos of the current government

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781

Probably several more round the place.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I mean a competent one
That would be the Taliban then.

Attacked for a decade by most of NATO, including the world's most militarily powerful nation, the Taliban sent them all packing and then strolled back into government.

Just as they did long ago with Russia.

We should sub contract Britain's defence to them, I bet they'd do it a lot cheaper than we do.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Not just you and me:
Liz Truss: No one voted for this. Rip up your plans or call a General Election.

https://act.38degrees.org.uk/act/rip-it-up-or-let-us-vote

Call an immediate general election to end the chaos of the current government

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781

Probably several more round the place.
agree, in face of catastrophic harm to poor. Bit of me thinks plenus venter non studet libenter (a full belly doesn't like studying) as Romans say. not sure electorate has learned anything, or won't vote for the next farage in a few years - yet.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How much energy usage reduction will rolling three-hour electricity cuts actually achieve?

I can see people ramping up room temperatures before the scheduled cuts (even if the heating itself is gas). And again when power is restored.

And much of the rest its impact being displacement of usage - not reduction.

I currently use around 2.5 kWh a day. Mostly fridge/freezer, some cooking, the odd washing load, and pretty modest computer/tv/etc., and very modest lighting.

If I am cut off for three hours, that's about 300 Wh. The fridge/freezer will have warmed up a bit and then used much of the "saved" power to cool back down to thermostat temperature. Any cooking will simply be displaced - earlier or later.

I'll use computer and lighting on battery. And charge up when power comes back. My other two computers and printer will probably use more electricity going from off, through booting up, than they would by sitting in a low power mode for three hours.

Of course, my usage is very different to many others. It might make a much bigger difference to others.

Difficult to know quite how much difference it will make.

It's also likely that it will be difficult to prove savings are due to cuts. And not largely the high prices.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
How much energy usage reduction will rolling three-hour electricity cuts actually achieve?

I can see people ramping up room temperatures before the scheduled cuts (even if the heating itself is gas). And again when power is restored.

And much of the rest its impact being displacement of usage - not reduction.

I currently use around 2.5 kWh a day. Mostly fridge/freezer, some cooking, the odd washing load, and pretty modest computer/tv/etc., and very modest lighting.

If I am cut off for three hours, that's about 300 Wh. The fridge/freezer will have warmed up a bit and then used much of the "saved" power to cool back down to thermostat temperature. Any cooking will simply be displaced - earlier or later.

I'll use computer and lighting on battery. And charge up when power comes back. My other two computers and printer will probably use more electricity going from off, through booting up, than they would by sitting in a low power mode for three hours.

Of course, my usage is very different to many others. It mighjt make a much bigger difference to others.

Difficult to know quite how much difference it will make.

It's also likely that it will be difficult to prove savings are due to cuts. And not largely the high prices.
The key to everything is to reduce the evening 17 to 19:30 peak ... If you look at the grid requirement this is the killer time. ... Factories and offices are only shutting off, dinners are warming in millions of households , TV and the 2 bar heaters are warming toes as people sit down to the TV. This is the time of day when very expensive gas has to be bought to keep the grid going and with the way the price of gas iis it means that everything is extremely expensive . For instance electricity cost the grid 500 euro per MWhr at 19:00 hrs and just 7euro at 23:30

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
The key to everything is to reduce the evening 17 to 19:30 peak ... If you look at the grid requirement this is the killer time. ... Factories and offices are only shutting off, dinners are warming in millions of households , TV and the 2 bar heaters are warming toes as people sit down to the TV. This is the time of day when very expensive gas has to be bought to keep the grid going and with the way the price of gas iis it means that everything is extremely expensive . For instance electricity cost the grid 500 euro per MWhr at 19:00 hrs and just 7euro at 23:30
Peak lopping is not the same as usage reduction.

I keep seeing claims that three hour cuts will reduce absolute usage. Not just time shift it.

Plus, if solar is producing, we actually want a demand peak, just earlier. (Probably either side of noon.) If wind is producing, we actually want a demand peak round about its maximum - though that could be brief or last for many hours.

I can easily shift things like my washing machine usage to whatever time helps. Also, at least some cooking which I can often reduce to a little bit of reheating at dinner time. But they do have to let me know!

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Peak lopping is not the same as usage reduction.

I keep seeing claims that three hour cuts will reduce absolute usage. Not just time shift it.

Plus, if solar is producing, we actually want a demand peak, just earlier. (Probably either side of noon.) If wind is producing, we actually want a demand peak round about its maximum - though that could be brief or last for many hours.

I can easily shift things like my washing machine usage to whatever time helps. Also, at least some cooking which I can often reduce to a little bit of reheating at dinner time. But they do have to let me know!

View attachment 49080
Why in the early 21st century dont we have better smoothing out devices than capacitors?

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Why in the early 21st century dont we have better smoothing out devices than capacitors?
And why we have allowed unswitched socket outlets, I've never understood.

The idea of physically unplugging each night, or each usage, is poor. Plugs, especially in the days when many were held together by screws, and had screw terminals, often became loose. Simply flicking the switch is just as effective and avoids extra plugging in/out events. Yet there have been so many unswitched socket outlets.

A pity Dinorwig installations require such specific geology/geography. A few more of them could make quite a difference.

Also, right now, we simply do not know the impact of power interruptions because so many have already switched off so much.

Advertisers