Brexit, for once some facts.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The quality of the UV stabilisation is another matter. Albeit it ends up with the same problems.
Soil is being poisoned all over the world with PFAS anyway - let's face it, until we start living like we're passengers on a spaceship; controlling every aspect of this planet's management to achieve maximum longevity, humanity is doomed here.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You probably had some broken PV panels above them.
Would agricultural land be more effectively used to grow algae in gigantic vats for biofuel to burn in power stations and vehicles?

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Would agricultural land be more effectively used to grow algae in gigantic vats for biofuel to burn in power stations and vehicles?
It's unpalatable to baby boomers who are unhappy if they don't have a taycan &several holidays/year in carribean so it won't happen, but we should cut consumption (we'll have more truss' and trumps promising a lovely future instead). Living on a boat is IMHO a great way to become more minimalist, aware of the zen cliche about freedom from desire.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Soil is being poisoned all over the world with PFASs anyway - let's face it, until we start living like we're passengers on a spaceship; controlling every aspect of this planet's management to achieve maximum longevity, humanity is doomed here.

Agreed but stopping things that aren't doing so is only making things worse. And it's the folk with the farm land doing as much damage as any. I have a lot of interest /experience in care and preservation of lake s/inland waterways/canals etc. Without a doubt the biggest problem is agricultural field run off. Either directly poisoning our water or fertilising the water leading an over abundance of weeds and/or algae. Every year lakes, waterways all over country have to be closed, cleaned and treated to get rid of the dreaded blue/green algae. Many go untreated. Main cause is not industrial pollutants (which is still a massive issue) but farmers over fertilising.
Perhaps we should tackle the Elephant in the room rather than jump on almost non existent problems, which if done correctly could benefit the land, water and us.
How much contamination is caused by PV water run off. At most minuscule. Probably immeasurably small. Take a trip to your nearest lake and it will either have hay bales deposited in banking curing the algae problem (bacteria are made in the bales as they rot which feed on the algae) or it will have the problem. Many authorities have taken to colouring the water. (cuts down light transmission and hence helps stop development of weeds/algae etc) What is world coming to when we have to colour our waterways..??
What we really should do is stop using the stuff that causes the problem,or use it rather more carefully.???

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We need an exorcist

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
We need an ex-PM.
The current one comes across as an orc-ist. How evil can she get?
And Coffey explaining why she voted against protecting children from smoke in cars serves to emphasise the moral vacuum.
I fear she had a nervous breakdown years ago. How can a PM be removed on mental health grounds?

Reactions: oyster

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Living on a boat is IMHO a great way to become more minimalist, aware of the zen cliche about freedom from desire.
New Age travellers say the same about land going boats ie caravans, and they're right. Lovely illusion while it lasts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
We need an exorcist

Bank of England widens bond purchases to battle dysfunctional markets; real wages fall again – business live
BoE warns that gilt market chaos poses a ‘material risk to UK financial stability’, as it starts buying inflation-linked bonds

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
New Age travellers say the same about land going boats ie caravans, and they're right. Lovely illusion while it lasts.
Years ago we did the caravanning thing and it was fine. The best part was one carried ones ecosystem around. One of my sons had and still has a life limiting condition, and with the caravan we were assured of a safe location each night,with facilities to keep all his meds together, including those which needed refrigeration . The warmer dryer weather in France , where the pollen counts were different ensured at least less coughing for 10% of the year.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Years ago we did the caravanning thing and it was fine. The best part was one carried ones ecosystem around. One of my sons had and still has a life limiting condition, and with the caravan we were assured of a safe location each night,with facilities to keep all his meds together, including those which needed refrigeration . The warmer dryer weather in France , where the pollen counts were different ensured at least less coughing for 10% of the year.
I fancy living on a boat. A very modest narrowboat would do me fine in terms of space. But there are only marina locations round here - and they are not so appealing.

Also, so very often when walking by canals elsewhere, the combination of diesel exhaust and smoke from solid fuel heating has made for a very unpleasant experience.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I fancy living on a boat. A very modest narrowboat would do me fine in terms of space. But there are only marina locations round here - and they are not so appealing.

Also, so very often when walking by canals elsewhere, the combination of diesel exhaust and smoke from solid fuel heating has made for a very unpleasant experience.
Temporary mooring for up to three weeks I think is free on the sides of canals and there seem to be a lot of space for solar. What's quite puzzling is the price, without meaning to offend anyone, for a simple structure that look as if it was mig welded in a big shed over a weekend circa £60k seem a lot

Reactions: oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Temporary mooring for up to three weeks I think is free on the sides of canals and there seem to be a lot of space for solar. What's quite puzzling is the price, without meaning to offend anyone, for a simple structure that look as if it was mig welded in a big shed over a weekend circa £60k seem a lot
There are no suitable rivers/canals round here! Doesn't matter what the mooring or boat costs. :)

I don't fancy being stuck amidst a criss-cross of access pontoons/decks. And with other boats within inches.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I fancy one of these airlifted and attached to mountainsides (Machu Picchu)

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

Like most things in life reality often shows stark contrast to our dreams. I, ve lived on yachts and barges for fairly extended periods.
Emptying toilets, worrying about weather, cold, leeshores, breakdowns (especially catostraphic ones on modern yachts, Google "Cheeky Rafiki") , locking off/onto tidal/River flows, navigation, finding moorings, berths, stupid pricing, MoB routines, shipping lanes, insurance, stupid crew members and incompetent boat users.(I have lost count of number of Yachts returned with Water tanks full of diesel and vice versa by experienced, qualified sailors(and seen my fair share of boats moored up tight in emptying locks, and rescued loads stuck on clearly labelled cills, with resultant damage to stern gland and or prop), corrupt marine surveyors (yes, they exist),biased, racist officials (yes, they also exist).
King Charles once said, and its so true. There are two days you enjoy Yachts. The day you buy it and the day you sell it. If you want to sail and experience best sailing experience there is. Go windsurfing and stick it in garage when not in use. Yachting freedom is an illusion,an expensive dangerous one. Barges only marginally better.
My most intimidating experience was aboard a barge, locking off river Trent. You must approach lock entrance from down stream. We, d had a delay on river (not our fault), by which time there was a 3kt flow. Our top speed was about 6..River was choppy, we had inches of freeboard. I actually thought we would sink. Doesn't sound so bad but that's the thing with boats. It never does.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc and oyster

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
That's what I really really really don't fancy.

Not so much doing it as having to do it regardless the weather, how you feel, etc.
We used to say that folk boating with nothing to worry about are missing what's going on. Generally it's that type that things do go wrong for. Honesty, it's not a holiday. To really enjoy it... Employ a captain that worries about everything and a crew who listens to her.

Advertisers