Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
It's undemocratic, and I'm shocked our constitution has allowed this Trussterfsck calamity to unfold.
It is profoundly wrong.

I can see why, for one extreme example, a PM who suddenly died in office, might be replaced by another person and not result in an immediate GE. After all, it does take some time to arrange a GE and someone has to do the job immediately.

Other than in such cases, a GE should be seen as normal if a PM stands down - almost however it happens. There might need to be a time limit even in these cases.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It is profoundly wrong.

I can see why, for one extreme example, a PM who suddenly died in office, might be replaced by another person and not result in an immediate GE. After all, it does take some time to arrange a GE and someone has to do the job immediately.

Other than in such cases, a GE should be seen as normal if a PM stands down - almost however it happens. There might need to be a time limit even in these cases.
If that were case we, d still have Boris and Sunak. Which, to be fair, would be advantageous to our current fiasco.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
It is profoundly wrong.

On the plus side I'm sure it will all go seamless, without a hitch. Without hysterical screaming that the brexit heritage is being betrayed. Or further sniping by say coffey (or whoever is liz's Nadine dorries). Or the commentariat trying to work out WTF is next. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

• :D
Reactions: guerney and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
It's undemocratic, and I'm shocked our constitution has allowed this Trussterfsck calamity to unfold.
Your democracy only allows it to continue, because your MPs are spineless. I remain puzzled as to why a PM is selected without election. In other countries , including my own, any candidate for PM gets elected by the House ... In other words , the Parties or factions in the Parliament propose candidates,and the person who gets the majority of votes by the MPs ,gets elected. They then present themselves to the Palace or State President and get their seal of office. Hell if it's good enough to elect Doges in Venice for 2000 years ,and Popes of Rome for 1600 years ,it should be good enough

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Your democracy only allows it to continue, because your MPs are spineless. I remain puzzled as to why a PM is selected without election. In other countries , including my own, any candidate for PM gets elected by the House ... In other words , the Parties or factions in the Parliament propose candidates,and the person who gets the majority of votes by the MPs ,gets elected. They then present themselves to the Palace or State President and get their seal of office. Hell if it's good enough to elect Doges in Venice for 2000 years ,and Popes of Rome for 1600 years ,it should be good enough
To be fair nobody (includingHoC) has been told the chancellor has been sacked

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If true, she'll attempt to look like our saviour... or fsck is she going to quit? Bleeding well hope so.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's strange how over the past week, many BBC articles about Truss and Kwasi haven't been linked from the BBC News front page. I suspect they've been threatened with the removal of the license fee, or something.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Can ex-Chancellors be sued for damages in a class action by... everyone?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hunt

But not clear if he is a real appointment or helping out.
I'm sure it will remain Hunt, a safe pair of hands who the market can trust.

But Liz Trust needs to go as well, since the problems are entirely of her own making. If she had any decency when sacking Kwasi Kwarteng she would have immediately followed it with her own resignation. Having shown such poor judgment, she clearly isn't fit to be a Prime Minister and the market knows it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I'm sure it will remain Hunt, a safe pair of hands who the market can trust.

But Liz Trust needs to go as well, since the problems are entirely of her own making. If she had any decency when sacking Kwasi Kwarteng she would have immediately followed it with her own resignation. Having shown such poor judgment, she clearly isn't fit to be a Prime Minister and the market knows it.
I agree the (relatively) safe pair of hands.

Of course Truss needs to go. Like she's downed ten pints of lager and found the toilets are broken.

• :D
Reactions: guerney and flecc

Advertisers