Brexit, for once some facts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does not look like you can change the cable easy tho so id watch out for that rolling round ;)

• Agree
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
does not look like you can change the cable easy tho so id watch out for that rolling round ;)
Yes, that looks fiddly, but at least spares available for every part.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id say there more for dj stuff but the reason i got the hd650s is because they was the only ones i could mix on and not bugger up the base as like my monitors i want a flat response as possible.

cant see any reason to change them as still work fine tho i still cant find a bloody refoam kit for my mid range drivers :mad:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
cant see any reason to change them as still work fine tho i still cant find a bloody refoam kit for my mid range drivers :mad:
Getting the refoaming wrong can ruin them, why not sell them on and get these with the sub unit and room sampling, which people keeping raving to me about

It's why I still haven't got around to refoaming my ancient Acoustic Research 38s pair...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
dont want puny things like that lol but they got a few more years in them yet i have a kit that will fit but they wont fit back in the wave guides and i have dip switches on the back with way more adjustability.

@0.5m these things can do 122db non stop with 400w rms 15inc bass drivers :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
dont want puny things like that lol but they got a few more years in them yet i have a kit that will fit but they wont fit back in the wave guides and i have dip switches on the back with way more adjustability.

@0.5m these things can do 122db non stop with 400w rms 15inc bass drivers :p
What about that guy in France who said he could 3D print foam surrounds for you? Might be the only way? Haibike holiday @35mph, chewing a baguette, wearing a ring of onions etc. while it gets printed

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
cant print foam but said he would get in touch if they was coming to the uk again as needs to measure them as it is the only way to get it right and have a mold made but not heard anything since.

i can get a recone kit but there £300 each plus vat but wont give me the the manual on how to do it. :rolleyes:

never seen any driver made like that but it is still a round peg in a round hole but the recone kit has its own basket that is screwed in to the bottom basket and if it has been glued could be a right pita if you need a tool to remove it.

ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.
Re: Refoaming 1037b midrange driver

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

Hi Harry,

Unfortunately we do not sell new foam surrounds. In fact we don't replace the foam surround but the whole cone assembly or in some cases the whole driver. And this has do be done by a qualified service technician because the procedure is difficult.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
cant print foam but said he would get in touch if they was coming to the uk again as needs to measure them as it is the only way to get it right and have a mold made but not heard anything since.

i can get a recone kit but there £300 each plus vat but wont give me the the manual on how to do it. :rolleyes:

never seen any driver made like that but it is still a round peg in a round hole but the recone kit has its own basket that is screwed in to the bottom basket and if it has been glued could be a right pita if you need a tool to remove it.

ilkka-rissanen, modified 8 Years ago.
Re: Refoaming 1037b midrange driver

Yoda Posts: 2564 Join Date: 3/23/09 Recent Posts

Hi Harry,

Unfortunately we do not sell new foam surrounds. In fact we don't replace the foam surround but the whole cone assembly or in some cases the whole driver. And this has do be done by a qualified service technician because the procedure is difficult.
Looks to me, like it has it's own behind-driver air suspension, as opposed to (or as well as) using a cavity in the cabinet... get it wrong, and it won't be of studio use imho - flat response will be gone.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
should of got some atc as there only 20 mins up the road but never seen a pro pair for sale and if doing stuff like dnb you need a sub.

but once you hear decent 3 way monitors there is no going back.

you can demo stuff in funky junk but there in london and where i got my genelcs from when town house studio went bust.

• Informative

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
should of got some atc as there only 20 mins up the road but never seen a pro pair for sale and if doing stuff like dnb you need a sub.

but once you hear decent 3 way monitors there is no going back.

you can demo stuff in funky junk but there in london and where i got my genelcs from when town house studio went bust.
Have a look at the monitoring equipment list at Peter Gabriel's Real World Studios.

Specifically this:

1Panasonic RX-FT530

As long as my melodies sound ok on that (or any recording that any studio outputs), I'm happy. If it sounds good on that piece of carp, it'll likely sound decent on the average equipment people use - it's why they have this at their studios. It's a dark art crafting music to sound wonderful on both high end and low end kit.

...and when I need mastering next, I'll shunt the project to my mate in Bali. Then test the result on the Panasonic...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
that's why studios use Yamaha ns10s and most ppl think there used for mixing on but there as a **** monitor just to check the mix on.

at the collage they always kept blowing the tweeters as there book shelf speakers and not giant bass bins but the bass driver never blew.

these are ok if you have a amp to run them just dont pay to much.

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Exactly.

All that happened in the late 1980s and beginning of the '90s, but still they kept the Tories in power until 1997.

And then who did the great British public choose? An obvious pseudo Tory, wealthy barrister Tony Blair.
Thatcher was out in 1990; Major & Blair perhaps more Starmers than Truss & Chunt (who wanted to privatize the NHS and want to reduce corporation tax more than truss long term). It's not a simple comparison: Truss, Kwarteng, even Chunt now are logical conclusion of Brexit; Thatcher of deregulation of financial services, both very destructive conservative policies, but brexit in its conclusion, now, more immediately damaging, deranged.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
About 300 is all I'd pay too - it isn't time to ditch the Senns just yet, but nonetheless I might grab a pair of these. Beyers at that price point do sound very good... you always see these whenever BBC Click feature any segment involving sound. Not as easy to repair, but at least Beyer haven't fscking sold out to a German hearing aid company and ceased making spare parts! :mad:

strictly FWIW (and id say not much) - i have these
everyone say theyre great - but theyre frankly not good enough for work phone calls for me, and barely OK for watching TV while running in a gym - and not nearly as good as this

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
problem is how are you going to change the batt when it dies ? not that i have ever used any Bluetooth earphones as all sound crap to me tbh.

you can get these but must be moulded to ur earholes.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
strictly FWIW (and id say not much) - i have these
everyone say theyre great - but theyre frankly not good enough for work phone calls for me, and barely OK for watching TV while running in a gym - and not nearly as good as this
There will be a hearing loss epidemic among youngsters, well before their time. I stopped using buds some years ago because of hearing loss worries. The ear lobes have also evolved to soften sound, before it hits the eardrums. Over-ear headphones are healthiest imho. With good quality over-ear cans, it's possible to hear dialogue and notes clearly, even when the mids and highs are turned down... which is how I listen to most things, most of the time. And at a low volume, good quality cans will still excel at providing clarity.

Worry if tinnitus appears or worsens.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
that's why studios use Yamaha ns10s and most ppl think there used for mixing on but there as a **** monitor just to check the mix on.

at the collage they always kept blowing the tweeters as there book shelf speakers and not giant bass bins but the bass driver never blew.

these are ok if you have a amp to run them just dont pay to much.
A mate and his band have paid a guy with a Neve desk and various voodoos 20k to produce their rock album - his production sounds ok, but he's no Butch Vig.

They're spit hot guitarists, and their covers of classic rock tracks are flawless. But like many musicians, they only make money gigging... and have only recently started recording their own material. I can't wait to hear what this Welsh engineer comes up with, on the Panasonic... He's been at it a year so far, hope he hasn't fled.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats the thing with studios there just a money pit and why most of them went bust when i got the genelecs and when the pc/mac started to take over and then the 16 track recorders and samplers bit the dust.

imo if you got one of them massive modular moog synths it must be worth 50k or more.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho you could start to build one as some modules are not that expensive so you can build it up over time.

they have some stuff left but he has retired now so when its gone thats it stock wise.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
tho you could start to build one as some modules are not that expensive so you can build it up over time.

they have some stuff left but he has retired now so when its gone thats it stock wise.

Deadmaus's Masterclass set features him using that system - if you haven't already, you should check it out, well worth it. That and Ableton.

Advertisers