May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Of course, they see it as an attack on themselves and there will be an element of supporting the underdog.

BUT:

They won't be selecting who stands for the Tories there.

Central Office will have something to say about who that is, which can take the form of "putting the boot in".

Also will those citizens enjoy the public ridicule if they do try to have Johnson?

And a reminder. When Johnson was first considered by the Uxbridge party, they sought a solemn promise from him that he would not be writing for the newspapers any more and would devote himself to the constituency.

He gave that solemn promise.

Three months later he was writing for The Spectator.

Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If you run the same poll here, Putin may get 1 or 2 out of 100. Putin is a dictator. There are a few who prefer dictators because they don't have any trust in the separation of power.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you run the same poll here, Putin may get 1 or 2 out of 100. Putin is a dictator. There are a few who prefer dictators because they don't have any trust in the separation of power.
I'd rather hand this country over to the EU, politically to be run by the European parliament as the core of the new intended united one country of Europe under that name, physically as an offshore island of Europe. That would give that parliament valuable practice in actually running such a working country and provide a path for others to join in one by one as they saw the advantages, plus a path for escaping their own problems.

Reactions: Woosh

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I'd rather hand this country over to the EU, politically to be run by the European parliament as the core of the new intended united one country of Europe under that name, physically as an offshore island of Europe. That would give that parliament valuable practice in actually running such a working country and provide a path for others to join in one by one as they saw the advantages, plus a path for escaping their own problems.
Agree, but AFD is polling 25%, and AFAIK to the right of le Penn, putin. With the perceived deprivation of a cost of living crisis a lot of very ugly bugs, also in the eu (AFD, much like brexiters want to deport migrants so they can refuse jobs they did) are crawling out of the woodwork.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Agree, but AFD is polling 25%, and AFAIK to the right of le Penn, putin. With the perceived deprivation of a cost of living crisis a lot of very ugly bugs, also in the eu (AFD, much like brexiters want to deport migrants so they can refuse jobs they did) are crawling out of the woodwork.
Indeed, but my proposal provides the path to escape the rise of the ugly factions while they are still the minority they are at present.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland

After billions in subsidies, TATA is saying ta ta to Wales. Steel used in UK will come from Tata Holland or..

Sack 3,000 more workers. Pretends it will put in Arc furnace, making sub-standard steel, and get even more subsidy. Kerching!

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Up for the farmers of Europe.
Hands up everyone who likes eating!
Hands up everyone who doesn't eat farmers food, what none, oh, I see.. :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are protesting against cheap imports from Ukraine and Spain. Their enemy is the supermarkets, especially those at the cheap end, aldi, lidl etc. They dump pigs poo onto the doors of the supermarkets.
There is little the French government can offer them really.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Oh how right it is! You can't overestimate how owned we are by brands and supermarkets. Retail margins and cost of sales are ridiculous.
that's why the French, and also ours, are practically powerless. French ministers regularly come on TV to beg the supermarkets to do this and that, with little results. If you go to the local markets, you pay 2 euros for a lettuce while Lidl charge 1 euro. People are faced with difficult choices, buy cheap or buy quality. I like locally produced foods because they have taste. Same with poultry and meats. Meats in supermarket are full of water and chemicals. One thing I do miss from UK supermarkets is reasonably cheap avocados.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They are protesting against cheap imports from Ukraine and Spain. Their enemy is the supermarkets, especially those at the cheap end, aldi, lidl etc. They dump pigs poo onto the doors of the supermarkets.
There is little the French government can offer them really.
But the real villains are not the supermarkets, the villains are the public who expect to pay too little for their food. Decades ago Tesco began the process of destroying the British dairy industry by importing tanker loads of cheap milk from Europe and with lots of publicity making it a loss leader. When that led to our industry suffering, main rival at the time Sainburys bravely did the opposite. The bought only from a register of British farm suppliers and paid 5p per pint more rather than less to give British farmers and their bottlers more, even printing that on the milk labels. Many like myself supported that by only buying their more expensive milk, but of course the majority of the cheapjack British public did the inevitable.

That was long ago the foundation of the ferocious cut price supermarket war waged ever since, eventually leading to such as Aldi, Lidl and the US Walmart buying Asda, that latter now British-Indian owned.

It's led to little choice for those of us who can pay for quality. I do my weekly shop in part from Sainburys where they still maintain some positive quality buying policies for Milk, some other dairy products, Chicken etc., and part of my shop from Waitrose, where they also maintain many quality buying policies. But both have been forced into also selling basic low cost ranges in order to survive in the market where the consumers largely know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I suspect much of this also applies in France.

And in many other areas of retailing, see this "no choice" post from a member:

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
If one was cycling Russia to Norway, wouldn't one do it at a more temperate time of year? Hehe :)
Isn't Finland, on the way? Currently -6degC feels like -11! :cool:
Like end of August..

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"Democracy in the EU", unintentionally funny. Remember when the Greeks were told by a German EUtocrat, "politicians may change, *policies do not*". All hail the current regime ;-)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Good for them. When Ireland voted against the "treaty" (EU constitution) and Abortion, they were just made to "vote" again until the "ballot" went the EU's way! :-(

Advertisers