Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hey might be employing a number of people locally to service the bikes, so it could actually benefit the UK more than you supplying bikes.
I offered the same thing. Supply and service.
The point is, the Dutch guy was a typical rep. Creamed the profit on the sale and never bothered to do anything himself.

So the firm you know well, and yet you still don't know the name of the company that won the bid??
I forgot their name, that's all.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A Classic example of
"Damning with Faint Praise"
From the BBC on the suggestions going around in America about Trump's Mental health
"
Dr Allen Frances, who helped write the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders IV, one of the main key manuals used to classify mental disorders, said that "most amateur diagnosticians have mislabelled" Mr Trump with the diagnosis of "narcissistic personality disorder".

"He may be a world-class narcissist, but this doesn't make him mentally ill, because he does not suffer from the distress and impairment required to diagnose mental disorder."

He added: "Mr Trump causes severe distress rather than experiencing it and has been richly rewarded, rather than punished, for his grandiosity, self-absorption and lack of empathy.

"It is a stigmatising insult to the mentally ill (who are mostly well behaved and well meaning) to be lumped with Mr Trump (who is neither).

"Bad behaviour is rarely a sign of mental illness, and the mentally ill behave badly only rarely.
Psychiatric name-calling is a misguided way of countering Mr Trump's attack on democracy."

I'll bet Trump didn't like that
(Assuming someone explained to him what it meant of course.)
:D
More likely they didn't tell him anything to "set him off!"

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: robdon and D8ve

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
You may find that the UK would want to introduce some special arrangements into the new relationship with the EU to establish a special deal with Ireland for obvious reasons.
As an example of the special relationship, to days Irish TV news lists that applications for Irish passports has doubled . Upwards of 200 extra civil servants have been seconded to the passport office to cater for the 6000 up from 3500 per month, year on year on mainland UK applicants and 6000 up from 3000 in Northern Ireland applications. Brexit means brexit for those in the UK who have Irish grandparents or parents.

Reactions: robdon

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The mental illness patients who murder an average of some 80 innocent people a year in Britain obviously haven't read what Dr Allen says.
So the 500 murders by sane people per annum is fine then?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So the 500 murders by sane people per annum is fine then?
That's a strange comment, I can't see the relevance since there is no comparison possible. We cannot know those 500 killers are sane since it's said that 1 in 4 people will suffer a mental health problem each year.

My reference was only to Dr Allen's statement of generally good behaviour of the mentally ill.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
That's a strange comment, I can't see the relevance since there is no comparison possible. We cannot know those 500 killers are sane since it's said that 1 in 4 people will suffer a mental health problem each year.

My reference was only to Dr Allen's statement of generally good behaviour of the mentally ill.
It was to note that sane people commit murders?
Your the mentality ill kill 80 it's statistics so not worth bandying around but a case could be made for insane killing less than the sane do. Or visa versa

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was to note that sane people commit murders?
Your the mentality ill kill 80 it's statistics so not worth bandying around but a case could be made for insane killing less than the sane do. Or visa versa
A very high proportion of murders by the supposedly sane are intentional for a specific purpose or an unintended outcome of an intentional attack for a specific purpose.

The murders by the severely mentally ill that I was commenting are generally random unprovoked attacks on strangers, making those mentally ill people especially dangerous.

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The man largely responsible for the mass migration of human traffic out of Africa and the middle-east, Tony B-liar, has entered the political fray over 'Brexit'. This creature is every bit as much a war criminal as Adolf Hitler, Biljana Plavsic, Radovan Karadžić or Slobodan Milošević yet he is allowed to walk the streets while other war criminals have been hunted down and tried at the Hague.

Blair and his retarded American friend, GW Bush, are directly responsible for far more deaths than the butchers of the Balkans and the number is still rising.

Frankly, I would swap my opposition to 'Brexit' if it was in exchange for B-liar's arrest, trial and conviction for war crimes.

Tom

So the tax payer in the UK got the best deal... what's not to like??

They might be employing a number of people locally to service the bikes, so it could actually benefit the UK more than you supplying bikes. UK tax payer got a cheaper deal, so its win win for UK isn't it?
I offered the same thing. Supply and service.
The point is, the Dutch guy was a typical rep. Creamed the profit on the sale and never bothered to do anything himself.

I forgot their name, that's all.
You lost the tender, to a company who it now turns out were using a local business for their servicing. I can see why the council went with it, best of both worlds surely?

If you've just forgotten their name, can you remember it then? I really am interested to know which Dutch company is eyeing up these UK contracts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A little light relief from the BBC
"
Helicopter pilot lands to ask for directions in Kazakhstan
Much to the amusement of two lorry drivers on CB radio
The Ministry of Defence said the pilot had been taking part in a visual orientation exercise when he lost his bearings.

Reminds me of my days on the road and a CB conversation i was listening to on channel 19, it was a very foggy day in December on the M1
1st Breaker "Breaker on the side"
2nd Breaker "Hi good Buddy what's on your Christmas list?"
1st Breaker "I want one of them BMW windscreens!"
2nd Breaker" Come on back good bud, why do you want one of those?"
1st Breaker "Well If I had one of those I could drive at 70 MPH through this fog."
2nd Breaker "(laughing )see what you mean good buddy you must be on my back door, he just passed me burning rubber Northbound!"
perhaps an export opportunity to Russia going spare there?:cool:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You lost the tender, to a company who it now turns out were using a local business for their servicing.
If I had lost to another UK company, I would not have criticised the EU rules. I spent a fair bit of time over 3 months working with the people to help with specifying the bike for the project all for nothing.
The fact that this guy uses somebody I know for service is small crumbs. He has creamed of the profit.
The point is the EU rule allows shark attacks on government contracts. Any EU dealer and EU individual can do that, submit a bid.

If I had lost to another UK company, I would not have criticised the EU rules. I spent a fair bit of time over 3 months working with the people to help with specifying the bike for the project all for nothing.
The fact that this guy uses somebody I know for service is small crumbs. He has creamed of the profit.
The point is the EU rule allows shark attacks on government contracts. Any EU dealer and EU individual can do that, submit a bid.
WHICH DUTCH COMPANY???

But your problem isn't the EU's fault. The shark could have just as easily come from the UK. To be honest your attitude about this is making me want to bid against you on the next tender, to see if you then want to split England up to protect your "local business" that you seem to think you're entitled to just because of geography.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No, I only want to split the EU up.
Just joking.
The point I try to make is the rules favours large companies that operate across borders to the detriment of small local businesses.
You don't have to agree.
As you said, the information is public. Try to find out what happens to EU funds to promote cycle to work. Perhaps you can find the name of the winner yourself. You may even find out that my case isn't unique.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That is a recurring apology from remainers.
If you are the victim, you'd say it's the people that make the rules that are to blame.
I think you're confusing the word apology with "fact"

Victim of what? You lost a tender to a bigger company, who weren't even the cheapest, where they are from is irrelevant.

Its a fact, that your issue with big companies taking your business, is not the fault of the EU. As I've said many many times, big bike companies are getting involved in the eBike business in the UK now. So if you're hoping that getting out of the EU is going to protect you for future tenders you're mistaken.

Why won't you say which company won?? Which bike shop is it in Southend that got the Service contract, have you "forgotten" their name too??

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You start sounding a little rattled.
The size of the winning company does not matter, what matters here is that the EU rules hurt small businesses.
That's a fact.

Advertisers