Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There is no incentive for the manufacturer to raise the wages or purchasing power of the workers. He runs out of workers limiting profits , possibly engages in off shore production ,
that is what the politicians would say when they are blackmailed by our factory owner. You know you wouldn't move your factory on cost of local labour alone. You would pay for automation to increase productivity.
You would go from hand welded bicycle frames to this for example:, one worker controlling 6 robots.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Aren't Polls convenient for the Government?
Here's a cracker
"
Half of British pubic support more immigration of highly skilled workers, poll suggests
Exclusive: The combined research by Ipsos Mori and Kings College London found that 52 per cent of British adults believed more migrants coming to do highly skilled jobs should be admitted
There is a caveat too
"“However, the public is much less supportive of allowing lower-skilled workers. Therefore, any new immigration controls will require a delicate balancing act between supporting the needs of industry that rely heavily on lower skilled migration and the public’s desire to see numbers reduced.”.

This can only mean that the Brexit Voter's don't want their children to aspire to good jobs, they want menial jobs to be reserved for them.

Brexit: the Goodness is flowing and everyone will be deliriously happy

• Disagree
Reactions: Zlatan and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
that is what the politicians would say when they are blackmailed by our factory owner. You know you wouldn't move your factory on cost of local labour alone. You would pay for automation to increase productivity.
You would go from hand welded bicycle frames to this for example:, one worker controlling 6 robots.

You do realise that you have just destroyed your previous argument, don't you?

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You do realise that you have just destroyed your previous argument, don't you?
why? statistically, investment in automation creates more and better quality jobs than those it destroys.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There is a caveat too
"“However, the public is much less supportive of allowing lower-skilled workers. Therefore, any new immigration controls will require a delicate balancing act between supporting the needs of industry that rely heavily on lower skilled migration and the public’s desire to see numbers reduced.”.

This can only mean that the Brexit Voter's don't want their children to aspire to good jobs, they want menial jobs to be reserved for them.
Think about it. It's not as daft as it looks.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It is mainstream, conventional economics.I don't imagine it.
Those are the very economic policies which have failed the UK over the last half century. It is for exactly that mistaken notion of successful economics which has rendered the UK such an industrial desert, reliant on foreign ownership of our once great industries and utilities, much of which has disappeared under their stewardship.

We ceded control of the means of production in just about all our industries including military hardware and we have left ourselves at the mercy of overseas conglomerates with no means of restoring power to British-owned companies.

It may seem trivial but today, we have learned that Weetabix is to be sold by its Chinese owners to a bunch of American venture capitalists known as Post Holdings. That precisely reflects the situation in a great deal of our industry in the UK!

business-39625715

Tom

Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Those are the very economic policies which have failed the UK over the last half century.
Please expand a little more on why. I am quite comfortable on this subject.
My first girlfriend at uni did economics so I did have a couple of years listening to her and actually checked some of her coursework.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
A chance for the remainers to vote for some one who wants to stay in.But is there any one to vote for ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.. automation in manufacture creates higher quality jobs in an engineering department, but not more jobs.
success breeds success.
The world is moving toward ever more automation. Countries that are successful in automation are also successful in reducing unemployment. Examples: Japan, South Korea, the USA, Germany, France etc.
I think FOM should be controlled.
You need to keep unskilled jobs for the local unskilled workers to reduce state subsidies.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Are Labour ( or anyone else?) going to offer a viable alternative to Tories and May ? Come on Tom and OG...put yourselves forward..you might attract a few lunatic fringe votes...
May being very clever again...she knows they cant lose...even with Brexit..( or perhaps because of Brexit)

Time to start canvassing Tom...get pushing folk over to Brexit and Tories...ah ah..

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
now is the chance for Mr Corbyn to show what he is made of.
GE is on the 8th of June.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
success breeds success.
The world is moving toward ever more automation. Countries that are successful in automation are also successful in reducing unemployment. Examples: Japan, South Korea, the USA, Germany, France etc.
I think FOM should be controlled.
You need to keep unskilled jobs for the local unskilled workers to reduce state subsidies.
I am familiar with the power of automation. I had responsibility for educating practical engineers in electronics for industry for 35 years, but that was not the point.
What may be more germane is that opportunities for the unskilled or untrained or certainly uncertified become less and less each year. Even simple activities now require certified competences and are therefore deemed skilled. In previous generations there were plenty of paying occupations for anyone who could carry a shovel, now one needs to be certified to even get onto a building site let alone run a digger.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
now is the chance for Mr Corbyn to show what he is made of.
GE is on the 8th of June.
... Would it not be interesting if Mr corbyn refused to support this motion of no confidence. In such circumstances the parliament would not be dissolved, but the government would be forced to resign on mass. For your parliament to be dissolved, needs a supermajority of 60% ... .

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
all the main parties have said they will support the motion to have election on June the 8th.
The Pound dived briefly but has now recovered.
I do hope we'll end up with a coalition government of some sort.
Failing that, if Mrs May gets a large enough majority, she should be able to shut up the hardliners in her party.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
all the main parties have said they will support the motion to have election on June the 8th.
Failing that, if Mrs May gets a large enough majority, she should be able to shut up the hardliners in her party.
And apparently a couple on here !!

Over an hour without OG or Tom posting...They must be with Jeremy or Tony organising their campaign....
Wished we,d known this months ago...call a general election and OG and Tom go quiet...

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Are Labour ( or anyone else?) going to offer a viable alternative to Tories and May ? Come on Tom and OG...put yourselves forward..you might attract a few lunatic fringe votes...
May being very clever again...she knows they cant lose...even with Brexit..( or perhaps because of Brexit)

Time to start canvassing Tom...get pushing folk over to Brexit and Tories...ah ah..
I have been out on my Ebike for two hours!
How's that for impressive timing eh?

My view?
The general election is meaningless
This is like voting to unfry a fried egg.
This is like an election in a Communist Country where all the Candidates are owned by someone pulling the strings

The Conservatives will win, and the Good news is that will be a Pyrhhic Victory of Epic proportions and could well discredit them for a generation after the Public are exposed to them for a couple of years.

Mrs May Clearly believes that a Public mandate will clear her of all blame for what is to come.
It wont!

I shall waste my Vote on the Party that opposes Brexit of course, assuming one actually does!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Wicky

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Well, well, well; May has called a snap election. That's a very clever ploy by her - slightly risky perhaps but with Labour in disarray, her timing is impeccable.

It's the perfect way for her to divert blame away from herself if it should turn out that 'Brexit' is a disaster. If she gets away with it, and the tories retain or improve their commons majority, she will get all the expected plaudits from the right-wing media and will be in the running for everything from a guaranteed future 'Damehood' to a Nobel prize, maybe even ending up with a state funeral like her idol.

I note D Cameron applauds her move so that will be a worry for her! All things considered though, in the absence of a concerted opposition position, I think she stands a good chance of pulling it off, sadly!

There is a great deal of hypocrisy in her move though which could work against her, eg:

17917785_908346402641213_4425443874006490161_o.jpg

Moreover, it reveals how her recent handling of the Scottish issue can now be viewed for the disgraceful and hypocritical manner with which it was dealt - remember her, 'Now is not the time for Scotland to consider its future before the 'Brexit' deal has been finalised' speech?

The only good thing about another GE now that I can see is that they probably won't risk further election fraud while the investigation into such matters is very much still a live issue under police investigation.

Tom

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It won't make any difference whatever to the damage the nation will suffer, so it hardly matters, does it?
However the idea of a coalition government is interesting.

Advertisers