Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is one problem with this, though it is laudable in intent: technically it will establish a precedent that a substitute can replace an elected MP on the death of the incumbent.
I'm not saying it's wrong, just that there are implications attached to such a decision, and believe that the proper reactions would be to delay the by election until an agreed mourning period had elapsed.
Thoughts, anyone?
I don't think so, it's only the nature of this death that has brought this reaction. Other deaths of incumbents have always resulted in fully contested by-elections. Jo's short term in office will not be lengthened by her replacement since the parliament period is fixed.

Therefore the by-election being uncontested merely means the assassin achieved nothing, a desirable and fully justified outcome.

• Agree
Reactions: gray198 and tillson

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good try Flec, but I'll give it about 10 mins before someone cries, propaganda, lies. Ha!
Not a good try Brendan. If you really mean you think I'm trying to get one over, why not listen the programs and see how impartial they are, before just jumping to conclusions.

Same goes for anyone else doubting.

Link to the programs

Last edited:

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Not a good try Brendan. If you really mean you think I'm trying to one over, why not listen the programs and see how impartial they are, before just jumping to conclusions.

Same goes for anyone else doubting.

Link to the programs
I've already listened to the whole programme set, and my comment re this thread still stands
A bit defensive aren't you :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've already listened to the whole programme set, and my comment re this thread still stands
A bit defensive aren't you :)
Just defending against what looks like an insult to a very truthful set of programs in a series that's proved trustworthy over many years.

But your above comment is ambiguous. You say you've listened to the programs but say your comment is re: this thread. Which is it?

Volvo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 12, 2016
Yorkshire and Andalusia
I found the intro to the feature more Radio 1 than Radio 4, and I'm coming to the conclusion that my idea of a fact may differ radically from the current interpretation.
There are so many pressures on any news broadcasting medium, that to imagine anyone has an overarching fiscal interest in telling me the truth is simply risible.

Volvo.

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
The thread, which has typically been like a tennis match, without much in the way of considered fairness to alternative views or opinions
However frankly it's too late for anyone to claim to have found the fountain of truth, it is often perceived as you expect it to be, which if you will forgive me for saying, is what you just did

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I found the intro to the feature more Radio 1 than Radio 4
I think you missed the point of that introduction. It was illustrating the entertainment aspect of the contest between the two parties that was commented on.

It was the program content that mattered.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The thread, which has typically been like a tennis match, without much in the way of considered fairness to alternative views or opinions
However frankly it's too late for anyone to claim to have found the fountain of truth, it is often perceived as you expect it to be, which if you will forgive me for saying, is what you just did
I'm not claiming any fountain of whole truth, just drawing attention to a source where claims are dissected, the method of that described and an outcome shown in each subject.

Some of the series outcomes were open enough to draw conclusions either way, a few, like that in program one, were absolute and undeniable.

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
I'm not claiming any fountain of whole truth, just drawing attention to a source where claims are dissected, the method of that described and an outcome shown in each subject.

Some of the series outcomes were open enough to draw conclusions either way, a few, like that in program one, were absolute and undeniable.
Propaganda and lies !! :) :)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I am not sure that facts and figures would ever cut it with the Brexiters. Most of them vote to leave because they want to shout at the establishment for refusing to deal with immigration since 75. It's a variation of 1381 peasants' revolt. They'd rather listen to that siren Boris, trusting that he can cut taxes and immigration at the same time for them.
Cos where it all comes from is a mystery,
It's like the changin' of the seasons,
And the tides of the sea.
But here's the one that's drivin' me beserk,
Why do only fools and horses work?

• Agree
Reactions: derf and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Propaganda and lies !! :) :)
Really! The £350 million lie was exposed for what it was,

Long before the program I knew as many did that we have never sent £350 millions a week to the EU,

We send £248 millions, simply because the rebate is deducted first before remitting.

I don't understand the Brexit campaign. Why use a lie when the truth is just as effective? £248 millions sent is still a lot of money.

Even that can be defended though, since we get so much back in subsidies, so why not use the true net figure which is still very large?

That cannot be denied or defended, so surely that would be the most effective way to campaign, with the unassailable truth of the net large sum.

• Agree
Reactions: gray198

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
I am not sure that facts and figures would ever cut it with the Brexiters. Most of them vote to leave because they want to shout at the establishment for refusing to deal with immigration since 75. It's a variation of 1381 peasants' revolt. They'd rather listen to that siren Boris, trusting that he can cut taxes and immigration at the same time for them.
There you go again trex, playing the man , "brexiteers", obviously run out of arguments,
You know, listening to and recognising valid points of view is life enhancing, unless of course you are incapable of that, or know yourself to be right

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Really! The £350 million lie was exposed for what it was,

Long before the program I knew as many did that we have never sent £350 millions a week to the EU,

We send £248 millions, simply because the rebate is deducted first before remitting.

I don't understand the Brexit campaign. Why use a lie when the truth is just as effective? £248 millions sent is still a lot of money.

Even that can be defended though, since we get so much back in subsidies, so why not use the true net figure which is still very large?

That cannot be denied or defended, so surely that would be the most effective way to campaign, with the unassailable truth.
Clue. Watch for the smilies :) :)

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
OK, here's me trying to be more aa\dult than i really am (and see teh otehr point of view). I agree with you (that teh facts wpont cut it with brexiters who have a chip on teh shoudler about immigration), and never will. if i can be permitetd to use this thread for a moment as group tehrapy and just express a biased personal opinion i'd say that i have absolutely no sympathy, whatsoever, at all with them, i do sixty to seventy hours a weekin a 37.5 hour job, and mostly enjoy it. my message to any brexiter who feels they have been deprived of a job by an immigrant is to get of their fat ugly arses, and that teh world can be ones oyster if one is not continuously demanding thinsg from otehrs, but prepared to contribute instead.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Most people who favour Brexit would like to put the clock back to a time when they imagined all was sunshine roses, and everyone they met was plainly as "English" as they were.
The irony of course is that no one can actually remember when that was the case, certainly in over 70 years I can't put a date on it.
Add this to dissatisfaction with Government in all it's forms and the rather naive notion that this same Government that has been completely incapable of caring what the "public" want or suffer is suddenly going to reform after Brexit

They profess to be dedicated to being all things to all men (women too) they'll eliminate all barriers to lead us into a rosy future as world leaders in all fields, and all with nothing more than slogans.
And you have the basis for even greater disillusion among the public when harsh reality hits them in the pocket and quite possibly the stomach too.
And sadly it is my belief that the Brexit camp will actually carry the day.
The Slogan for the Brexit camp that is most appropriate would be this, the immortal words of the late great (and only slightly insane Spike Milligan)
"We haven't got a plan, so nothing can go wrong!"

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: Zlatan and trex

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
What a lovely story, and very impressed with your knowledge of this species, the Brexit. Trouble is it is complete balderdash, (boll Ocks in olde English)
Not sure whether you are a frustrated creative (nice photo)' or just like talking boll ocks to us olde English, but what precisely this has to do with the referendum is quite beyond me, but then I'm only a Brexit

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
there is one obvious reason why Brexit will fail.
Even if Johnson is the next PM, labour Brexit MPs will not support conservative Brexit MPs for their objectives have little in common. They'll have to call fresh elections even before they can start on article 50.

Reactions: flecc

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
BrendanJ, please don't shatter my illusion that oldgroaner is a witty pastiche -- a meticulously observed archetype somewhere between Basil Fawlty and Alan Partridge -- I simply couldn't bear it.

Volvo.
Oddly I get more a pastiche of you and Brendan,in a primary school playground that is still such a big part of things, so much for don't play the person huh?

Advertisers